On the Side (food, not frolics)

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

On the Side (food, not frolics)

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 5:08 pm

I went to Than Prince's Cookbook Club yesterday - recommended as an evening, costs £10 for wine etc.

The book was On the Side by Ed Smith
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Side-sourcebook-inspiring-side-dishes-ebook/dp/B06XYR6VPX/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I have the Kindle edition, and in this case would recommend it, as Ed does cross references and the hyperlinks are a boon - for example you can look up a vegetable in the ingredient index and click through to the recipe you fancy

Ed also trades as blogger Rocket and Squash
https://www.rocketandsquash.com/

Anyway, there were about 12 of us, and about 12 dishes (mostly from the book)
Standouts:
    Seeded Rye and Honey Soda Bread (really good)
    Red onions braised in red vermouth (mine, easy, could have done with 5 minutes more in the oven)
    Beetroot Gratin :chops:
    A couscous and chickpea thing, very good though too much cinnamon for me
    A kale salad (nice in fact)
    Smoky ratatouille (made with smoked water and smoked Halen Mon

We also ended up with two pans of corn bread, both good but none in the book :? and a few other things (some very nice chakalaka, south African relish)

I know it has been a topic on this board, what can you do as sides other than plain veg and rice and chipa

So what do you like as sides with your meals?
Last edited by StokeySue on October 12th, 2017, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: On the Side (food, not frolics)

Postby Hope » October 12th, 2017, 6:14 pm

TBH I'm a bit of a one-pot or one-tray queen! My side dishes tend to mostly be steamed veg. I need some inspiration so will be watching this with interest, for when I get a bit more energy and excitement about food again!
Hope
Registered

Postby smitch » October 12th, 2017, 6:20 pm

I also tend to do one pot/pan/tray meals or have plain steamed veg. I like this Ottolenghi squash dish though https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/16/roasted-squash-stuffed-quince-recipes

I often roast small new potatoes with Indian spices or smoked paprika.

I used to love Delia's potato salad but I've discovered a mustard allergy :( https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delias-summer-collection/warm-potato-salad-with-lemon-and-chive-vinaigrette

I quite like charred tenderstem broccoli with chilli and lime. I blanch it first though or I find the stems tough.
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 12th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Me too re one pots. Is it a vegetarian thing?

I am interested in the book though. I looked it up when you mentioned your book club, Sue and thought I'd wait for your verdict. Any excuse to buy a new cook book! (The new Nigel Slater is almost in the post though!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 6:53 pm

To be honest I think it's a good book for a vegetarian
I basically had small portions of 5 veg sides + carbs for supper last night and was stuffed and felt like I'd had a good dinner, no you don't want to do 5 each night, but one or two with leftovers, or 3 perhaps as a meal if there is more than one or two if you - some when prepared just need leaving in the oven or on the hob a short time,?

A very few recipes contain lardons, quite a number contain dairy (Ed's a buttermilk fan it seems)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby smitch » October 12th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Me too re one pots. Is it a vegetarian thing?

I think it is more speed and convenience for me. Plus the style of food we eat, we have lots of stir fry type meals, stews in winter and 'things' in sauce.

It probably does suit veggie food though, no large pieces of meat to cook and veggie substitutes seem to cook really fast.
smitch
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 12th, 2017, 7:27 pm

The book looks good and your evening out excellent.

Seems to me that 'sides' are quite a new thing. Surely they used to be just part of a meal - and if there are 5 different things then so be it. I think we have come to enjoy a style of eating where different things are tried at once such as with Chinese and Indian meals and things like Tapas and of course salads. I think many would find it too time-consuming to do all those things except on special occasions. I do tend to have various veg cooked differently lurking in the fridge which can make a nice meal when put together sometimes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 10:41 pm

I sort of agree but not entirely em
We have always had some sides, roast spuds aren't plain, and people put a sauce on cauli or leeks before serving with a roast, which isn't "just" veg, which is about the level of complexity of many of these dishes though some are more complicated
My own tendency has often been to serve (for example) a roast with roasties, perhaps yorkies or stuffing (it's not just veg), plain veg and sauces or condiments such as mint or apple. Then the more complex sides come out to make a more interesting meal of the cold meat, or perhaps with plainly grilled meat or fish
Sides I have made, none of which seem specially out of the ordinary:-
    Yorkies
    Forcemeat balls
    Braised celery
    Sprouts sauteed with chestnuts
    Gratin Daupinoise
    Gratin Savoyard
    My own leek and potato gratin
    Cauliflower Cheese
    Italian Cauliflower
    Vienna (paprika) cabbage
    Braised red cabbage
    Salata mechouia (Berber grilled salad)
    Petits pois a la Francais
    Turkish green beans
    Ratatouille
    Pilau / pilaff
    Jazzed up couscous
    Red beans and rice
    Leeks in red wine
    Various pulses such as Puy lentils with various additions
    Any number of salads and coleslaws

And so on and so forth
I bet many of us have made and / or eaten a few of those

What's different here is pulling recipes together in a book, and of course some new or revamped recipes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 13th, 2017, 8:38 am

This book is on my Christmas list, having flicked through a copy at the library.

We get a veg box and a book like this should provide useful inspiration when we're trying to use up the last bits and pieces from the box!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

Yes, be good for a veg box, someone gave me the Riverford Organics book which gives you a method for basic cooking and a few other recipes for each veg you are likely to encounter, I think the two books complement each other well

Many of the recipes are on the website
https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 13th, 2017, 9:28 pm

This looks fab. I often get more excited and tempted by the side dishes than the main event. I kind of see it in the same way I see accessories. For example a plain room is brought to life by soft furnishings. The little black dress becomes stunning with accessories, and roast becomes memorable by the sides
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 16th, 2017, 6:05 am

Strikes me as a type of tapas thing ? Which I love.... :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2017, 7:53 am

Zosh that assessment alone has pretty much tipped me over the edge into buying it :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 16th, 2017, 9:46 am

The book is not really meant to be tapas, though that is how we ate the dishes when tasting them, and very nice they were
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 16th, 2017, 10:19 am

Celeriac mash is my all time favourite. Closely followed by shredded Brussels sprouts stir-fried with chopped onion and bacon. Thanks for the heads-up re the book Sue. Will look out for it.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2017, 10:24 am

Too late, I ordered it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 16th, 2017, 12:49 pm

I have recently become a real fan of polenta, both fried and flavoured with olives, cheese etc or creamy often with the addition of raosting tin juices,

I love all forms of potato gratin. with and without cheeseand/or cream,

Peas n'rice and fried plantain from my WI days

I absolutely love vegetable purees, sprout, carrot and celariac, broccoli and cauliflower, swede, squash etc etc etc. I enjoy crispy batter fritters, cauliflower, broccoli etc

Yesterday we had braised endive (chicory). I love braised celery, baby onions and fennel as well.

The thing I really don't like is masses of sides with one "main" a la UK pub Sunday lunch. Who needs 2 or 3 different potatoes, cauliflower AND broccoli not to mention carrots AND parsnips.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 17th, 2017, 3:40 pm

I bought the book. :oops: It’s right up my street and I’m cooking for the whole family at the weekend. Thanks Sue.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 17th, 2017, 5:41 pm

my copy arrived too. Looking forward to looking at it properly when I get back from my writing group tonight, but quick flick through and it looks very promising. Some of these sides I could happily eat as mains.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Kitchen