picnic recipes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: picnic recipes

Postby Gruney » April 23rd, 2019, 3:19 pm

Seatallan wrote:That so reminds me of going on holiday when I was a child. We went for some years to Pwllheli (Butlins )

I worked the season there in 1963.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 23rd, 2019, 3:37 pm

Oh wow Gruney! :D

That was just a wee bit before my time. I think the first year we went was 1968 and we then went every year until around 1973 (when we switched to Butlins Minehead for a few years).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 23rd, 2019, 4:06 pm

i've never been to butlins.

(nor pontins, centre parks or any of that ilk).
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 23rd, 2019, 5:40 pm

My cousin and I simply adored Butlins when we were children and I think our parents were equally enamored. It was very much of that era wasn't it? :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 23rd, 2019, 6:34 pm

I always longed to go to a holiday camp (mostly to ride on those double cycles they had!). As a child we lived too near and when our children were small we couldn't afford it. I can afford it now but don't much want to go!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 23rd, 2019, 8:22 pm

We were much amused when we first drove through France to see whole families picnicking beside the road, having removed from a compact car a table, chairs, a granny or two, plates, cutlery, wine, Evian, glasses, food etc. We always wondered if there was any other luggage in the car!

Our picnics taken on the long cross country trek from home to grandparent’s (280 km, takes about 3 hours actual driving since they built motorways) were always the same
Ham sandwiches, Smith’s crisps with a little blue twist of salt, tomatoes, apples, some cake or biscuits, a cream and red striped Thermos with a cork stopper containing coffee and a bottle of diluted squash

I can smell that now - and the leather seats of the car
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 24th, 2019, 12:22 pm

StokeySue wrote:Smith’s crisps with a little blue twist of salt

Oh they were fab! :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 24th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Except when you couldn't find the salt until you chewed a curly crisp :o
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 25th, 2019, 3:02 pm

On my various road trips round France and Spain with a friend in the 90s, we mostly ate lunch outside. In France, baguette, cheese, tomatoes, and some rosé. :D Simple, but good quality, components and delicious. (we were usually starving too, which helps.)

Holiday camps were definitely not on the agenda my childhood household, for a number of reasons.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2019, 4:20 pm

I remember doing Butlins and Pontins as a kid a few times. A bit of a shame I can't remember where now, although Camber Sands might be one of them? Wherever that is in the world. I have a slight recollection of being dressed up in a beauty contest at around age 12 and coming third. Absolutely gutted that seashell necklace didn't work.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 13th, 2019, 3:47 pm

I've always loved picnics. When I was little, my mum would make me a banana sandwich and wrap it in greaseproof paper, put some squash into a small glass flask with a lovely little metal and rubber stopper, and pop a purple foil wrapped biscuit - can't remember what they were but I think they were from M&S. She'd put all this into a small wicker basket and I would go to the step in the turn in the staircase with my book and have an indoor picnic. I would sit there happily all day. Thinking on it I'd rather like a day spent sitting reading my book now!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 13th, 2019, 4:07 pm

What a lovely story Megan... :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 13th, 2019, 4:09 pm

How sweet.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 13th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Meganthemog ...I’ve just spent all afternoon reading my book ... an activity I highly recommend. In fact ... bliss :D
Last edited by suffolk on May 13th, 2019, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 13th, 2019, 5:01 pm

That does sound lovely! I think we should reinvent the 'halfway up the stairs' picnic immediately! It's lovely how you can make the simplest things seem a treat for children if they are presented in the right way.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2019, 9:57 pm

I remember the little girl next door, years ago demanding a “proper picnic” for herself and her brother to eat on the grass

She got a hard boiled egg and a little salt in a twist of paper to go with it, and a tomato sandwich. She also got a biscuit, some fruit and I think some fruit, some squash. Not bad for a very tight budget, she was delighted, which is why I know as she insisted on showing me every item!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 15th, 2019, 8:15 am

When I was about 5, I went with my parents to visit some friends whose youngest child, a girl aged 12, was instructed to entertain me. She dug out a lovely china doll's tea set and, without asking (she didn't have to, which impressed me!) we made real teeny jam sandwiches and had real sugar, milk and tea. We laid it all out on a blanket under a tree in the garden. It is one of my most treasured memories.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 15th, 2019, 10:07 am

I agree that the simplest things in life are the most precious. Picnics have always been top of my list of favourite things to do. As it is his 4th birthday today after Archie comes home from nursery we are going down to our favourite beach with a picnic and some sausages to cook. Later we'll toast marshmallows. I know he's unlikely to remember the occasion but you never know!
I pick him up from nursery every Friday and his treat is a small packet of Skittles to eat on his walk home - DD used to have a finger of fudge!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 15th, 2019, 10:20 am

My sons earliest memory was at four years and three weeks, going to see his newborn cousin. He can tell you everything about the visit, what car we went in, where we parked, where my sisters bed was in relation to the rest of the ward, everything. So you never know Archie may well remember this birthday.

Have a fabulous time.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 15th, 2019, 10:48 am

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Archie remembers. I still remember riding on one of those playground horses at Bream Sands when I was his age. It was flipping chilly and whilst the horsie was fun I didn't like the sand blowing in my face. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 15th, 2019, 11:35 am

I can remember a few things from that age and nowadays we all have photos to remind us which helps. I hope you have a lovely afternoon!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 15th, 2019, 12:17 pm

I think Archie will remember. 4 is actually quite old to store memories. I know GD remebers the weekend she stayed with us while her parents and baby brother went to watch a rugby matchwhen she was just over 3. We took her to see birds of prey being flown in a medieval chateau on the Rhone and she was enchanted. She sat with a barnowl on her shoulder and then was the smallest volunteer to sit and let a vulture step carefully over her legs. She also remembers tasting olives which she loved and still does and going with a French friend of ours and her little dog to pick wild narciss.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 15th, 2019, 1:27 pm

I can remember half a dozen things from under 4, most unremarkable in the scheme of things. I remember one of my ex students (he’d be about 20 then) saying he remember nothing before the age of 7. Another chimed in with same. I found that a bit shocking.
I don’t remember much pre 4 though!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2019, 2:01 pm

I’ve got quite a few memories from between 3 and 4 ... we moved to Suffolk just after I was four ... I have clear memories of the house and farm where we used to live, the neighbours, our garden there , the meadows where my Grandpa used to sit with me on a tree stump and he’d tell me about the wildlife. I remember the fields up the hill where the neighbouring farmer grew cauliflowers I remember the cowsheds and milking-parlour and dairy and I remember being put on the back of one of the gentle old cows as they were walking back to the meadow after milking.

I remember the kindergarten I went to between three and four, some of the children there, activities that we did there (planting crocus bulbs and feeding chickens are just two of them), being collected from there by my Grandpa and going for walks down past the water mill in Ampthill and seeing the farm horse in the meadow by the mill. I remember my younger brother falling off a chair and

I remember the (disused) servant’s bells in the back kitchen ... and loads more very vivid memories of that time ... they couldn’t come from any other time of place. A few years ago OH and I went back there as the farmer has a farm shop there ... I told them I used to live there and they knew who I was and let me wander around and have a look ... OH said that a lot of it was still just as Id described to him. :D
Last edited by suffolk on May 15th, 2019, 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 15th, 2019, 4:29 pm

I remember my nursery school (3-4) and being collected by my granddad too! He had a black Morris Minor with those old-fashioned side indicators. :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2019, 5:43 pm

:D Grandpa and grandma lived not far from the kindergarten so we used Shanks’s pony :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 15th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Seatallan wrote:a black Morris Minor with those old-fashioned side indicators. :luv:

We always called that the flipper.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » May 15th, 2019, 10:18 pm

suffolk wrote: going for walks down past the water mill in Ampthill

I’m sure I’ve asked before... :oops:
I used to live with a girl (J) from Ampthill (Sorry I cant remember her surname (S?)), she married PK in Oct 74, reception in the village hall.
We had a lovely weekend there, and revisited last year. (Flitwick Manor?)

We randomly met them on a North Sea ferry a few years ago, but have since lost touch again.
Amber
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 4:44 am

The farm where I lived was in Flitwick ...well, on the road (with a huge holly hedge ) between Flitwick to Woburn ... the M1 took the edge of our farm ... apparently I used to be pushed in my pram to see it being built.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 16th, 2019, 8:00 am

We moved house not long after I was four, from Gosport

I can remember quite a number of things that happened there, and I’m pretty sure I could put the furniture back where it used to be. When I drove past the end of the road for the first time in 50 years, I recognised it and went and had a look. The house was just where I remembered it on the bend opposite the chapel. It’s a 1930s house and more elegant outside than I remembered.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 16th, 2019, 8:05 am

I think my earliest memory is being bounced on my daddy's knee whilst he sang 'Here Comes the Galloping Major' (he was a great one for music-hall was my dad :) ).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 16th, 2019, 10:23 am

Seatallan wrote:'Here Comes the Galloping Major'

I've been singing that in my head all morning.Grr! :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2019, 10:34 am

So have I :lol: :bounce:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Did we all move when we were around 4? DS's first proper girlfriend came from Flitwick, can't say I'd heard of it before that :oops:.

I went back to look at my 'pre 4' house when I was in my 40's. The area and house were generally as I remembered - but seemed much smaller! Nowadays we can go straight to Google to see what horrible things people have done to one's childhood homes.

I sing that to GD!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 16th, 2019, 1:15 pm

I didn't move from the (council) house my parents moved into when I was a year old, until I was 20 …. and that was because I had married and hubby was posted to Portsmouth. My parents stayed there until Dad died in 1993 … Mum then moved into sheltered housing and enjoyed every minute of it ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 16th, 2019, 2:44 pm

We moved when I was 5 - my sister had come along a year earlier, I think we just outgrew my parents first married home.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2019, 3:00 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I didn't move from the (council) house my parents moved into when I was a year old, until I was 20 …. :tu:

I have always rather envied people who spent (a happy) childhood in the same place. I'm sure it promotes stability and good friendships. I feel like a nomad :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 19th, 2019, 8:37 am

Yes my parents moved when I was 4 too! I guess this is how we know the rpe-4 memories are pre-4 However sometimes it's hard to know what;s a rela memory and what's an anecdote that's been told a lot, or photos. Another early memory is being lured down the bottom of the garden by my sister's freinds and pesrsuaded to try and climb down teh spsteep bank. I was terrified, and in my mind, I was clinging on for dear life (and, I imagine, screaming, although I don't remember that) when they left me. I got told off for being naughty after being rescued :(
Also remember being sat down, suitable attired (apron and waterproof, detachable elasticated 'sleeves'?!) to play with mud, and hating it. Didn't like having dirty hands. I imagine it was one of my sister's favourite things, hence my mother promoting it.
I (think) remember moving out too. My father bought these magnificent polished, huge planks of wood, and they were used to slide his many books down from the attics (proper rooms - once servant's rooms). They became desk tops in the new house. (The house my mother is still in.) I don't remember moving in though...
My sister was profoundly adversely affected by the move, apparently. She was 7.
I could go on, but you'll be glad to hear I won't:) Just snap shots though. Most is lost from that age... and older. (And indeed quite a lot must be lost now too!)
I think my earliest memory is being taken to a baby clinic and seeing babies being weighted in big pans. I was not a baby myself, needless to say, but I was a toddler.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 19th, 2019, 11:51 am

Gruney wrote:I've been singing that in my head all morning.Grr! :D

suffolk wrote:So have I :lol: :bounce:

Sorry....! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 19th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Seatallan wrote:Sorry....!

Forgiven :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 19th, 2019, 4:05 pm

It’s really hard to tell what’s a real memory, what’s an implanted memory, and what’s a conflation of both

I’ve been told the story of my polio vaccination so many times I think I remember it, but I don’t. Well I must at some level, because the reason my parents started telling me was that I was developing a needle phobia, and they wanted to reassure me that was the worst vaccination I’d ever have, and it was fine really. I was 2y 5m I think, one of the first people outside the USA to get Salk vaccine, which was quite painful (I definitely remember a booster) and they’d dug out a retired doctor to give the jabs, he was very slow and Mum said you could see his hand shaking as the needle went in. Ouch! I didn’t cry, just gave him the Paddington bear stare and stalked out (then went into meltdown). This really impressed Mum as she had mo idea I could use a door knob, we had levers :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 20th, 2019, 10:11 am

Ow.

I fainted and went green the first time I had a blood test. But I was much older...

I am not sure if I had any (?many?) vaccines as a child apart from polio which was on a sugar cube. I missed smallpox. Measles came in in '68. I was born in '67 so I may have had that. But I think I actually had measles when I was under the age of 2. And chicken pox and German measles. Maybe hopping cough.
Had the dreaded TB jab in junior school. May have had rubella at secondary school in spite of having had it twice by that point.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2019, 10:23 am

You should have had DTP Herbi - diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (whooping cough). But I think that was given at 3 months with a booster 2 or 3 years later, so you wouldn’t remember. You might have had BCG for TB but that depends on local policy I think. I had the pioneering polio jab at 2 and BCG at 15 because we were in hot spots where the risk of infection was higher than elsewhere
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 20th, 2019, 10:30 am

No sugar lumps when DS had his polio vaccine circa 1980. A doctor had to place what were supposed to be pleasantly flavoured drops on his tongue. Despite being 4 years old he decided to scream the place down in the waiting room and was distraught by the time we were called. The drop was placed on his tongue, he spat it back at the doctor and ran out of the room :oops: <have children they said, it will be fun they said :lol: >. I have never felt that he would have reaped the benefit of that vaccine.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 20th, 2019, 11:02 am

BCG at ten. Everyone spent their entire first three years of junior school dreading it. it wasn't that bad... My sister had smallpox. I didn't. I think they reintroduced it for a while 'after me'.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 20th, 2019, 11:53 am

I didn't have the smallpox vac either but if I recall correctly it was because I had eczema rather badly when I was little and there was some concern from my GP that I might have an allergic reaction so he advised against it. I had the Polio sugar cube and DTP and I was one of the first generation to have the Rubella vaccine (when I was around 14 if I recall correctly). I remember BCG. One of my best friends tested positive on the initial wrist thingy as did Mr S when he was at school. I suppose both of them must have encountered the TB virus at some point and produced the anti-bodies. Both were sent for chest X-rays but nothing showed up.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm

The test for TB is called the Mantoux test - a ring of 6 or 8 little skin pricks, delivered by a thing a bit like a date stamp. Usually when it’s read you can just about see the pattern indicating a very low level of antibody (not enough) but if you have been exposed to TB bacteria you get a stronger response..

Mine disappeared without trace causing consternation and discussion and the girls who stood either side of me in the queue had to swear they’d seen me have it when they did. Nobody could believe anyone could live 15 years around Portsmouth and show no sign of TB exposure. Predictably, I had a supernova reaction to the jab. Still got the scar though only really visible when a little tanned.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 20th, 2019, 1:25 pm

The test always reminded me of a DIN plug...
I have a small scar for the jab.
Given the build up and fear that preceded it, I was rather annoyed to find out that it lasts for so relatively short a time.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 20th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Ma had diphtheria as a child ... a neighbouring farmer’s daughter was disabled following polio ... Ma made sure we had all available jabs!!!

I don’t remember any except the TB one ... I was the same as SSue as my test just disappeared ... but we did live in a very rural spot miles from almost anyone. Bro and I both had measles as children and Bro had Whooping cough as well. I asked my GP for a rubella jab just before I married ... he was impressed by my good sense :D I also made sure I had regular Tetanus boosters every ten years until I was told I’d had enough to last.

I had Scarlet Fever one summer holiday when I was about 9. I didn’t get chicken pox or mumps until I was a young mum and my children brought them home consecutive summers :rolleyes: I was soooo ill.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 20th, 2019, 3:29 pm

The only one I ever contracted was chicken pox (when I was 15 so comparatively late). Like Suffs, I was proper ill with it. I had spots everywhere including in my eyes and in my mouth and throat. It was SO uncomfortable... I still have some of the scars.
Seatallan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen