Recipe for a Courgette Glut

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Recipe for a Courgette Glut

Postby Herbidacious » July 20th, 2017, 12:51 pm

I've not made that PP, but I shall have a go. I am not sure I am going to have a glut though what with powdery mildew :shock:

I don't want to jinx things, but unless things go awry, I may have a tomato glut.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Hope » July 20th, 2017, 12:59 pm

That looks good PP. I'd add some aubergines too, if I had some.

I'll have to try that Suelle. When I've made courgette cakes before they didn't say to squeeze out the water and they ended up soggy.

The fritter were lovely. The first one was, so I tried another in case it was a fluke! ;)
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 21st, 2017, 11:11 am

Hope wrote:
The fritter were lovely. The first one was, so I tried another in case it was a fluke! ;)

Always better to err on the side of caution :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Hope » July 21st, 2017, 12:16 pm

Herbidacious wrote:powdery mildew

You can treat that with a milk solution. (google for details)
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 21st, 2017, 12:26 pm

Thank you, Hope. I have seen that, and a few other homemade suggestions. I am using something I purchased at the moment, but they are too far gone I fear. However it's worth a try as the plants may develop new leaves which I can treat with a preventative rather than after the horse's bolted approach. It's all gardening learning curve material.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 18th, 2018, 12:00 pm

i must have skipped the pages this came up on in my use of the search box (a highly recommended exercise if you are looking for something specific). I knew it was here somewhere but gave up - as the market called.
Probably time to bring it to the fore again.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 18th, 2018, 3:31 pm

A reminder for precautionary action this year... although the variety I am growing are supposed to be mildew resistant.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Luca » May 18th, 2018, 4:25 pm

I have eight plants growing at the moment having thought only a few would thrive...... That will make a lot of courgette 'spaghetti'. I hope my neighbours like courgettes!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 18th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:This is a favourite in our house. Good as a main veggie meal or as an accompaniment. Great with good bread.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main ... -au-gratin

I'm liking the look of this recipe. I'd be tempted to tweak it a little bit by adding breadcrumbs to the topping.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 10:05 am

I've got surplus large courgettes (although as they're an Italian variety perhaps I should call them zucchini ;) ) ... I've got all the ingredients for this except the bulb fennel ... do you think it would work without, but perhaps with some herb fennel and fennel seeds for flavour?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sau ... e-rigatoni
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 6th, 2018, 10:08 am

I think it would work fine without the fennel or as you say with seeds or herb fennel.
I posted this on Chatterbox as I've a load of courgettes to use up

Allotment Slice (serves 4)
2-3 medium courgettes grated and squeezed to remove excess water (or diced cooked potatoes)
½ lb mixed veg chopped small (if using frozen defrost first and drain any liquid)
Handful chives or a few spring onions finely chopped
Sliced tomatoes to top
4oz grated cheddar
4-6oz cooked ham or bacon diced (optional)
6 eggs
¼ pint milk
Chopped parsley (optional)
Salt & pepper

Mix all the veg bar the tomatoes, the ham, the parsley and half the cheese thoroughly.
Whisk the eggs with the milk and salt & pepper, combine well with the veg mix.
Grease and line a small roasting tin
Pile mix in the tin and spread evenly. Top with sliced tomatoes and remaining cheese. Bake at 170C for 30 – 40 mins until the middle is just set. Allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 mins before slicing. Delicious warm or cold.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Kacey » August 6th, 2018, 10:16 am

I like the sound of that recipe myself, I'd use a whole onion in lieu of the fennel.

This is delicious if you have a glut of courgettes: https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/co ... e-filo-pie

OH can't stand eggs so I leave them out and I use cooked rice rather than raw as I'm never convinced it'll cook properly
Kacey
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 6th, 2018, 10:25 am

Kacey wrote:I like the sound of that recipe myself, I'd use a whole onion in lieu of the fennel.

This is delicious if you have a glut of courgettes: https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/co ... e-filo-pie

OH can't stand eggs so I leave them out and I use cooked rice rather than raw as I'm never convinced it'll cook properly

I got filo yesterday to make this later in the week :D I use par cooked brown rice. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 10:50 am

I've just made a huge batch of this https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... a-hartnett

which is a favourite of OH's ... and I've still got plenty of courgettes ... and as we have some sausages in the fridge I might make the pasta dish tomorrow ... and then perhaps the allotment slice on Wednesday ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2018, 10:58 am

I think fennel seeds would be wonderful with the rigatoni recipe.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 6th, 2018, 11:39 am

suffolk wrote:I've just made a huge batch of this https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... a-hartnett

which is a favourite of OH's ... and I've still got plenty of courgettes ... and as we have some sausages in the fridge I might make the pasta dish tomorrow ... and then perhaps the allotment slice on Wednesday ...

Oooh Suffs, that soup sounds lovely. As we don't grow any veg in our small London garden, we haven't exactly got a glut! But will definitely make that. We love chilled soup.

Btw, are you anywhere near Southwold? I have a good friend who moved there a few years ago.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 11:48 am

Hi KC2 ... my late Aged Ps lived at Southwold for many years and we know it well ... we often visit there and have planned to take a trip there in the next few days ... I used to live about ten miles away .
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2018, 11:35 pm

I found a recipe on a vegan and vegetarian group on FB earlier which looked good. I couldn't work out on my new phone how to post a link. But it was for equal quantities of grated, cooked potato and trimmed and grated courgette which has the water drained out of it. The two mashed together with seasoning then formed into balls then brushed with EVO & baked for 25-30 minutes until golden. They looked very nice indeed! I was left wondering if they would work well in a tomato sauce, like gnocchi.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 9th, 2018, 10:02 am

They sound good Tezza and I think they would go well with a tomato sauce or a patas bravas sauce.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 9th, 2018, 11:59 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:I found a recipe on a vegan and vegetarian group on FB earlier which looked good. I couldn't work out on my new phone how to post a link. But it was for equal quantities of grated, cooked potato and trimmed and grated courgette which has the water drained out of it. The two mashed together with seasoning then formed into balls then brushed with EVO & baked for 25-30 minutes until golden. They looked very nice indeed! I was left wondering if they would work well in a tomato sauce, like gnocchi.

I'd be concerned they might be a bit bland. I might add some chilli and coriander or a load of parmesan. They sound like a good base for having a play around and experimenting with additional ingredients
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 9th, 2018, 2:36 pm

A non vegan version with Parmesan i think would be delicious!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen