Recipe for a Courgette Glut

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Recipe for a Courgette Glut

Postby StokeySue » August 15th, 2013, 10:45 am

As Chinch kindly gave me some home-grown courgettes I decided to try making some Greek courgette & feta croquettes

There are loads of recipes in the internet, but I decided to go with this one, as most make a sort of fluid batter and drop the mixture to form fritters; I knew that wasn’t what we’d had on Paxos, this seemed more plausible
http://greekfood.about.com/od/hotorcookeddishes/r/Zucchini-Fritters-With-Feta-Kolokithokeftethes-Me-Feta.htm

You can in fact use any herbs you like, we had three lots in different tavernas, all were different; this time I use mint and parsley, as that was what I had, but I think I’ll get some dill next time as I prefer it You could use spring onion instead if not herbally minded.

So my ingredients were
500g courgettes, grated on the 4 mm disc of the Magimix, salted and squeezed dry (if you do this, cut the courgettes into short lengths, my shreds were so long they were really hard to shape into little cakes and I ended up with 10 largish ones, should have made about 16 smaller ones)
120 g feta chopped fine (Lidl’s feta is cheap and good for cooking)
40 g plain flour
20 g SR flour
Black pepper
1 med egg beaten
A good handful flat leaf parsley and quite a bit of mint (use a lot, both cheese and courgettes soak up the flavour)
This made a soft dough when mixed, I scooped portions out with my ice cream scoop, rolled in plain flour, flattened into what looked like little fish cakes, and fried in olive oil until well coloured )remember, you need to cook the flour)

Serve warm, so the feta is a little gooey

Spot on! Can serve with tzatziki, if you like or (non-Greek) aioli would work
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Recipe for a Courgette Glut

Postby 4dogsagain » August 15th, 2013, 11:59 am

Years ago with a glut of courgettes I made a savoury cake recipe from one of the AWW books. I was rather good; I cut the leftovers into squares and fried with bacon for breakfast.
I also use courgettes in soup, I just grate them into chicken stock with a grated potato, and cook until soft, seasoning to taste.
I believe they can be used in cakes as well, I may have a recipe somewhere, but you could google for recipes.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 15th, 2013, 2:19 pm

I am a courgette Queen in our village, I have given loads away and cooked loads, loads of different ways....

Courgette Appitizer, burgers (a la Madjur Jaffrey), Rat the Tutt, (sorry ! Ratatouille). I think I have perfected greek fried courgettes, a batter made with Plain, cornflour, cornmeal and chickpea flour, water to a double cream consistancy and dip and fry. I find the batter is better stood a while. Mr Zosh likes his with tzasiki (sp) but I like lemon juice and salt. We both feel that a glass of Ouzo and water helps them slide down.... :twisted:

Adding any milk or egg and they don't stay crisp.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 16th, 2013, 9:34 am

I have got a muffin recipe containing shredded courgette, I have not tried it but the courgette is supposed to disappear into the mixture.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 16th, 2013, 10:56 am

Last night I was so desperate to use a courgette that I was reduced to stirring raw grated courgette and mint through hot couscous. The courgette didn't add much flavour, but it looked very pretty, and increased our veg consumption! ;)
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Suelle » August 16th, 2013, 11:01 am

I meant to add in my last post - I've used courgettes in sweet cakes, but haven't yet been really satisfied with the results - they've all been very dense compared to a carrot cake. I think courgettes just have too much moisture. If anyone has a recipe which turns out light, then I'd love to see it.

This savoury courgette cake was good, because I wasn't wanting a light result:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... -loaf.html
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Mamta » August 16th, 2013, 11:10 am

You can make Courgette Koftas and freeze them to use rest of the year. Indians make all sorts of koftas and vegetable patties (burgers) using all sort of seasonal vegetables, you can use almost anything. I haven't seen Madhur's recipes, but I am guessing that it is something similar, everyone has their version of it. Koftas freeze quite well, as long as they are not pressed by something heavy placed on top of them, which can flatten them, because they are quite soft.
That courgettes and Feta loaf looks yummy, might give it a go. I will have to buy courgettes though, I have only 4-5 plants and very low yield :-(
Mamta
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » August 16th, 2013, 2:04 pm

That sounds really good Sue - I normally make lacy fritters but happen to have a couple of courgettes about my person so will have a bash at these tomorrow. To go with the aubergine and pepper dishes already planned which you brought to Blickling last week.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » August 16th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 16th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Courgette fritters are good
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 16th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Mamta, I wish I could get some to you.............I have picked 5 today and everyone in the village is courgetted out ! :shock:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » August 17th, 2013, 9:16 am

Could they be pickled like cucumbers? Just a random thought......
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » August 17th, 2013, 9:22 am

Re my post above: I've just found this:

http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/healthy ... _necessary
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2013, 10:34 am

Never tried simply pickling them, but they make a jolly good chutney - I just use the recipe for an apple chutney and substitute courgettes for some of the apple :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 17th, 2013, 12:40 pm

1)Salad: Slice the courgettes lengthwise and grill until you barely have "grill marks" on each side. Marinate some bocconcini in garlic, olive oil, rosemary and oregano. Leave for about an hour. Dice a medium tomato, seeds removed. Mix all the ingredients gently together and swathe with strips of Parma (or Serrano) ham.
2)TartSlice the courgettes in rounds and sautée in butter. Season with s & p. Add a handful (yes, a handful ) of fresh basil leaves. Once the courgettes begin to brown, remove and set aside. Blind bake a pastry crust for about 20 minutes at 350° until barely browned. Dry toast a handful of slivered almonds and scatter on the bottom of the pastry crust. Cover with the courgette slices.Top with a generous amount of Gruyére cheese. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Serve hot or cold.
3)PickledSlice about 1/2 kilo of courgettes lengthwise. In a saucepan, heat a cup of white wine vinegar together with a tbsp of salt, 2 tsps whole pink peppercorns, 1 tsp sugar and 3 cloves garlic, minced. Bring to a boil, then pour the liquid over the courgettes and leave to marinate for about 2 hrs. Remove the courgettes from the liquid and rescue some of the red peppercorns to sprinkle over the top. Now place all the veg in a bowl and cover with olive oil. Sprinkle with the peppercorns and extra garlic if required.Leave for 24 hours to marinate before eating. Good with BBQ!
4)Steamed Slice the courgettes lengthwise on a mandoline, or use a vegetable peeler. In a large pot, melt a generous knob of butter then add the courgettes, a tbsp fresh oregano or parsley, salt and pepper and a half a cup of white wine. Place a tight fitting lid on the pot and steam for about 5 minutes. Just before serving, add a couple of tablespoons of cream. Serve immediately.
5)Mexican ( This is taken from Kate Hendry's "Mexican Food" )1 kg courgettes, 250 gms pork loin or pork belly, 2 poblano chiles, 2 whole corn cobs ( or a tin of sweet corn), 3 tbps lard or oil, 1 onion, 2 medium tomatoes, 2 cloves garlic, s&p, 250 gms white cheese. Dice the courgettes and pork . Fry the chiles, cu into strips, and set aside. Brown the meat in the lard, then add the finely chopped onion, tomato and garlic. Slice one of the corn cobs into rounds and scrape the corn from the other. Add these, along with the courgettes and the chile strips, to the pan and allow to simmer in its own juices for about 25-30 minutes. Season with s&p and serve with strips of white cheese.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 17th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Of course, courgette pickle. I've made this a few times
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6816 ... tte-pickle

I've also sliced lengthways and used instead of lasagna sheets when making lasagna for a low carb option

Also shred and use as spaghetti

Roasted courgette salad with rosemary and garlic is gorgeous too
Last edited by Catherine on August 17th, 2013, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 17th, 2014, 5:50 am

Glad I found this again - it's Courgette time of year! :D
Last edited by suffolk on July 17th, 2014, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 17th, 2014, 8:15 am

This is good:

Courgette Veloute (serves 4)

800g/2lbs courgettes
2 large onions, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
2 egg yolks
Handful chives
Fresh coriander
1 chicken stock cube
8 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper

Trim the courgettes and dice them (no need to peel) dissolve the stock cube in 750ml/20 fl oz hot water.

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and soften the onions, add the courgettes and mix well. Season to taste. Pour on the stock and simmer for 10 minutes.

Whisk the lemon juice with the egg yolks.

Blend the soup and with the machine still running add the egg yolk mixture. The mixture will thicken.

Cool then cover and chill.

Serve in chilled bowls garnished with the chopped herbs

Note: This is a fresh tasting but unctuous soup, which is best made the day before. It is also very easy on the purse.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Kacey » July 17th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Kacey
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 18th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Hi Kacey, having looked at the recipe, do you really use raw rice ?????? Sounds as if the rice would not be cooked ? Maybe that's me ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2014, 7:00 pm

I made a lovely Italian recipe tonight using new spuds and courgettes, both from the garden. They were cut up into even sized pieces then the potaoes were cooked in cream (I used reduced fat) with chopped shallots for 10 minutes. the courgetts were added and cooked until the potaoes were tender then a squidge of lemon juice and a bit handful of chopped mint and parsley. It was lovely and went perfectly with the steamed fish.
Last edited by Ratatouille on July 18th, 2014, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 18th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Hi Kacey, having looked at the recipe, do you really use raw rice ?????? Sounds as if the rice would not be cooked ? Maybe that's me ?

I looked in the 'Comments' after the recipe and found this:

"Do you have to cook the rice before you put it in the pie or does it cook inside the pie?

sarahruddick Says:

It cooks inside the pie – very clever!"

So I guess it really is raw rice!!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 19th, 2014, 5:33 am

You looked further than me Rainbow ! Take a house point !!! :lol: I suppose the rice soaks up all the liquid, might have a go as the oven is going on today.... Will report back when it has been sampled. :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 20th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Zosherooney wrote:You looked further than me Rainbow ! Take a house point !!! :lol: I suppose the rice soaks up all the liquid, might have a go as the oven is going on today.... Will report back when it has been sampled. :chef:

It's only 75g of rice

I guess as you say it soaks up all the liquid

I was sceptical about stuffing cabbage leaves with raw rice, but they cook surprisingly fast
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » July 20th, 2014, 7:41 pm

I've made it with both raw rice and with leftover cooked rice - both work but the cooked rice has a stodgier feel for being cooked twice but I don't mind that. I also leave out the eggs as OH can't eat them and it doesn't suffer for it.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 29th, 2014, 9:59 am

Found this...... thought it might be of interest......

http://oldrecipebook.com/zucchini-recipes.shtml
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 29th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I saw Ina Garten make a nice looking Courgette Dish on the TV the other day.
She fried some sliced onions until soft, then added some sliced courgettes which were cooked until they were soft and just going brown. A good handful of coarsely grated Parmesan was added, tossed through the vegetables, allowed to melt.
She served it with a baked chicken breast.
I am going to try it.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 29th, 2014, 2:07 pm

That sounds similar to a very tasty rice & corgette gratin Rose Elliot recipe. I used to make it a lot but haven't done so for ages- must make it again. You cook up some rice, fry up some corgettes & onions as above, mix them together and bung the mixture in a gratin dish with a beaten egg & some grated cheese on top. Then you grill it until the cheese melts. It's lovely with a tomato & olive salad or ratatouille.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 29th, 2014, 9:30 pm

A friend at my writing meet said we had a glut of courgettes and did we want any? He presented us each with one like this, this evening!

IMG_0503.JPG
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 29th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Yum, that would be delicious stuffed
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 30th, 2014, 6:59 am

A fine specimen if I may say ! ! Defo for stuffing. Something with fresh garden herbs. :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 30th, 2014, 7:16 am

Stuffed courgette it is then when OH comes home for the weekend. Slightly embarrassed bout my mess room in the background of the pic there...!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 1st, 2014, 5:24 pm

I made a few stuffed courgettes from the garden today, the golden balls variety. They are spicy, the Indian way. I will write recipe later, if anyone is interested. I haven't downloaded the pictures yet.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 1st, 2014, 5:29 pm

I made a few stuffed courgettes from the garden today, the golden balls variety. They are spicy, the Indian way. I will write recipe later, if anyone is interested. I haven't downloaded the pictures yet.
Mamta
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 1st, 2014, 6:19 pm

Yes please Mamta :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 1st, 2014, 8:35 pm

Here you are Suffolk.
Here is another one.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 2nd, 2014, 5:33 am

Thanks for posting those Mamta, I have a courgette in the garden that hid under a leaf !!!!! So that is lunch sorted for tomorrow. Fennel and tomatoes from the garden - I have everything I need.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 2nd, 2014, 7:08 am

Thanks Mamta - I shall save those for when we're failing to keep up with them and have some big enough to stuff :hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 4th, 2014, 11:25 am

Having tried the first recipe that Mamta posted. I can highly recommend it. Even Mr Z. enjoyed it and he does not do stuffed courgettes. The only change, well it was an addition really, was....... I had some breadcrumbs from sundried tomato bread and sprinkled some on top of the stuffed courgette and then drizzled some OO over the top. It went nice and crispy.

Thanks Mamta :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 6th, 2014, 12:17 pm

I am thinking of doing one with an egg on top, something like this one. Any thoughts/suggestions please?
Mamta
Registered

Postby Beagle lady » August 10th, 2014, 8:30 am

Morning, I have come on to look for a courgette chutney recipe, but got sidetracked looking at Mamta's recipe, so it looks like my huge courgettes are now going to stuffed for dinner today.....looking forward to it :chef:

I might see if I still have enough for a chutney because I have a few quite big courgettes :hungry:
Eat well, live simply, laugh often

BL
Beagle lady
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 10th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Courgette chutney ? Hmm, can´t say I´ve ever made that, but I have made a tomato and pumpkin chutney which I think would work with courgettes.

1 kg courgettes, diced
400 gms tomato, diced
200 gms onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch piece of ginger, minced
600 gms sugar
275 ml white wine or cider vinegar
3 tsps. salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne

Place all the ingredients in a large pot and cook for 25- 30 minutes, until the chutney begins to thicken.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Kavey » August 13th, 2014, 10:22 am

I have a few on my blog and another to come in a few days time:
http://www.kaveyeats.com/tag/courgette
Kavey
Registered

Postby Hope » July 20th, 2017, 9:16 am

I'm making the courgette and feta fritters today. I'm using three courgettes. I have another three in the fridge still! (will use another one or two later to make a big batch of ratatouille pasta sauce for dinner and the freezer). My plants have been great this year!
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » July 20th, 2017, 10:28 am

It's taken me all morning to prep them (pacing myself!) And they are now cooking. They smell so good. I'm planning on freezing them to use when we don't have a courgette glut. But surely it's vitally important that I test one or to first?! :D
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 20th, 2017, 10:52 am

I am thinking of making the Smitten Kitchen/Julia Child tian again tonight (was supposed to be going out for dinner, but OH full of cold...), but another Smitten Kitchen recipe that is calling out is this:
https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/06/herb ... asta-bake/

It's the lemon that's clinching it.

I did once make a Delia feta an courgette potato cake recipe. v nice.
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 20th, 2017, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Hope » July 20th, 2017, 11:02 am

Oh Herbi, that looks lovely. It's a shame no one else in my family likes cheese sauce things. But I suddenly have an idea what to have for lunch tomorrow....

mmmm lemon. I was thinking after I'd cooked the fritters that a bit of lemon would've gone down well in them (although they are delish without!) Maybe I'll squeeze some on when they are defrosted.

Hope OH is better soon.
Hope
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 20th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Gosh, that recipe sounds good Herbi, I may try it.

BB

Edited to add......I've just had a root around that blog, I really like her style of writing and cooking. Love the way she tries to minimise pan use/ washing up. Will try the above pasta bake and also the mushroom one - I have a son who would exist on pasta alone if I let him!
Busybee
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 20th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Update on courgette cake - I found that the BBC Good Food recipe for Yummy Scrummy Carrot cake works well to make a light courgette cake. You just need to use 30% more courgettes, and squeeze out as much excess water as possible:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/322 ... arrot-cake

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -cake.html
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » July 20th, 2017, 12:28 pm

This is a favourite in our house. Good as a main veggie meal or as an accompaniment. Great with good bread.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main ... -au-gratin
Pepper Pig
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen