Tomato glut

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Tomato glut

Postby tezza » August 21st, 2013, 4:05 pm

A work colleague's grandfather has an impressive glut of home grown tomatoes this year, and she has brought loads in to distribute amongst us. Not wanting to pass up on free, delicious and organic food, I have nabbed a large bag full. Apparently there is more coming towards the end of the week. :bounce:

Of course there are dozens of things I can think of that I can make - tomato sauce being the most obvious, I could make some relish or ketchup.

Can I have your ideas please on how to deal with quite a lot of wonderfully ripe and delicious tomatoes?

Unfortunately I have limited space in the freezer at the moment.

Thanks in advance folks.
tezza
Registered

Re: Tomato glut

Postby Herbidacious » August 21st, 2013, 4:26 pm

lucky you! I am a little envious. I really fancy some tomato and garlic bruschetta now...

Asadillo
gazpacho
tomato tarte tatin amongst other more conventional tarts
slow roasted tomatoes
panzanella
sopa de pomadoro (the bready one)...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 21st, 2013, 4:33 pm

I've got a recipe for a spiced Tomato Sauce on me website. Once bottled in jamjars, it certainly keeps a couple of years!

I also bottle down a lot concassée in Kilner type jars.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby MrsWWoof » August 21st, 2013, 4:35 pm

How about "oven" drying them and then into bottles covered with EVOO and a sprig of thyme?
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » August 21st, 2013, 6:12 pm

Tomato chutney? It's also good made with green tomatoes if you have any.
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Riocaz » August 21st, 2013, 9:50 pm

Gazpacho while it's still warm enough to have it!
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Catherine » August 21st, 2013, 10:15 pm

Tomato water
Tomato sorbet
Or best simply served as a tomato salad, with some basil, salt pepper and olive oil.

I'm growing for the first time ever in hanging baskets and am delighted with the results.

My sister has masses and is growing several varieties(they have the garden space) gorgeous ones with different colours. The chocolate ones are delicious. 5 yr old nephew can't leave them alone.
Last edited by Catherine on August 21st, 2013, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 22nd, 2013, 1:08 am

Tomato soup, tomato sauce, passata, oven-dried tomatoes, confit tomatoes ( try Heston's recipe and you'll never want anything else ever again!), tomato chutney, tomato kasundi, tomato pachadi, tomato pickle, tomato kuut ( not a preserve, but the most delicious dishever), Hyderabadi Tomatoes, stuffed tomatoes, Mexican tomato salsa, roasted tomatoes with chiles; tomato, basil, garlic, olive oil and pepperoncini "Salsa Cruda" with pasta; blitzed with orange juice and served with tequila (Sangrita); pickled tomatoes with fresh herbs,.......

Do you need more? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 22nd, 2013, 5:48 am

Thought of this thread when I read this recipe. It would be pretty good with fresh skinned tomatoes I reckon - and some of the spices mentioned in the comments below the recipe. It would only use a few tomatoes up but it looks tasty!

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Algerian-Crepes
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 22nd, 2013, 5:57 am

Whilst having a bit of a Google, look what I found forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6537 :D
Apparently there's a book ............. ;) :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 22nd, 2013, 7:37 am

Thanks for this Suff, I have just found a 'used' copy on Ebay and bought it, I do have a greenhouse full at the moment :oops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby tezza » August 22nd, 2013, 11:39 am

What a wonderful response to my query. Thanks all, some really lovely ideas to work my way through.

Last night my first batch of tomatoes were dispatched all in one go and I made a simple thick tomato sauce to use as pizza topping. The only usual ingredient for that which I did not have was red wine, but it works well without.

There is another load of tomatoes coming my way tomorrow, so I have plenty of ideas here to be getting on with. :tu:
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » August 22nd, 2013, 11:41 am

suffolk wrote:Whilst having a bit of a Google, look what I found http://www.wildfood.info/forum/viewtopi ... =12&t=6537 :D
Apparently there's a book ............. ;) :D

Haha Suffolk, only just clicked on your link. I still love that book and refer to it lots, and now you mention it I remember there is a section for dealing with gluts. I must dig that out later. But still, nice to have new ideas from the Wildies to also refer to. :D
tezza
Registered

Postby marilina » August 22nd, 2013, 12:33 pm

Karatekoolaid

hello, do you have Heston's recipe for tomato confit? (I can't find it on google...)
Thanks
marilina
Registered

Postby capricornbcaroline » August 22nd, 2013, 5:57 pm

capricornbcaroline
Registered

Postby marilina » August 22nd, 2013, 6:36 pm

You're a star capricornbcaroline. Thank you!!
marilina
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 23rd, 2013, 12:13 pm

Well done Caroline!
The preparation is typically Heston-fussy, but very well worth the effort. I sometimes sprinkle fresh oregano over the tomatoes as well.
If you want an Indian twist, try adding a little garlic, a slice of ginger, some kalonji, fennel and fresh peppercorns to each tomato half. Then sprinkle with a little finely chopped green chile and some coriander leaves. Yum!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby marilina » August 23rd, 2013, 12:29 pm

Thanks Karadekoolaid.

I have a glut of tomatoes this year - juicy yummy ones and I'll definitely try this recipe.
marilina
Registered

Postby tezza » August 23rd, 2013, 1:36 pm

Well I have another big bagful of tomatoes handed to me this afternoon. Really big and red and juicy.

I have lots to keep me going on this thread, so thanks again everyone.

I actually have a real urge to make Raymond Blanc's tomato water, that looked so good when he was making it I had to watch it at least half a dozen times. Of course I was only watching the tomato water...... ;)
tezza
Registered

Postby Luca » August 24th, 2013, 6:19 am

You definitely should make the tomato essence Tezza. I frequently make it and it is utterly delicious. Very pure and fresh and you can zing it up if you like..... ice cold with a shot of vodka makes a delicious 'alternative' cocktail too!

For anybody who doesn't have the recipe, here it is......
Essence of tomatoes
Serves 4
Ready in 40 - 50 mins
Super healthy
• 2½ kg cherry vine-ripened tomatoes , roughly chopped
• 1 stick celery , finely chopped
• 1 small shallot , finely chopped
• half fennel bulb, finely chopped
• 1 small garlic clove , finely chopped
• 2 sprigs thyme , roughly chopped
• 4 leaves tarragon , roughly chopped
• handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
• 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
• 2 pinches cayenne pepper
• 5 drops Worcestershire sauce
• 3 drops Tabasco sauce
• 4 basil leaves, finely sliced, plus 4 small sprigs
• 6 large plum vine tomatoes , skinned, seeded and finely diced
• good-evoo

1. In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together with 1 tbsp sea salt, cover with cling film and marinate for 6 hrs. Then, in a food processor, pulse the tomato mix in batches until roughly chopped - don't over-chop them to a mush.
2. Place three layers of muslin cloth, or a new kitchen cloth, over a large bowl and pour the mix into the cloth. Tie up with string and hang in a cold place for at least 15 mins over the bowl to collect the tomato essence. Set aside the pulp. Taste and correct the seasoning, if necessary, then cool in the fridge.
3. To serve, spoon a quarter of the diced tomato into the centre of four bowls. Carefully pour the chilled tomato essence around the tomato towers and garnish with the basil and a small drizzling of olive oil.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » August 24th, 2013, 11:25 am

Thanks Luca
snaggé.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » August 24th, 2013, 12:01 pm

We are currently picking nearly a kilo a day - several varieties including cherry and cocktail and all sorts of colours.

I have assembled 4 kgs of Roma and tomato sauce is simmering right now, it will be preserved in le Parfait jars tomorrow.
I also sun-dry quite a lot and with the small ones I make Buena Vista tomatoes that keep well for several days in the fridge.
Tomato sorbet is great. We love a scoop of it with sliced avocado.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 24th, 2013, 12:53 pm

:mrgreen: :drool:

Mine are just turning colour 8-)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Luca » August 24th, 2013, 12:58 pm

ianinfrance wrote:Thanks Luca
snaggé.

Hope you enjoy it!! I could happily have it every hot day.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » August 24th, 2013, 6:52 pm

With our tomatoes in full flood, this is a perfect moment to try it. Thanks again.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » August 25th, 2013, 10:10 am

Hi and Welcome Ratatat ! That sorbet sounds good, do you have a recipe you recommend ? Also I have a glut but am running out of space in my deep freeze, would be interested to hear how you (or anyone else) preserves tommys in jars ?

Todays brekkie was blitzed breadcrumbs, egg, milk, chopped chives S&P done in a skillet in OO. Drizzled in truffle oil and a huge handful of home grown cherry tommys. Utter bliss ! :chef: :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 25th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Zosherooney wrote:would be interested to hear how you (or anyone else) preserves tomatoes in jars ?

I am pretty sure I've described this, using the same kind of jars as Ratatouille, before a couple of times, but here goes....

You start out by concasséing them as usual. Once they are done, you put them into the jars, making sure you don't overfill. There's a fill line embossed into the jars, so don't go above that. What I do in fact is to note the initial weight of tomatoes and then use as many jars as I have half kilos, so each jar contains the equvalent of about a pound of tomatoes. Put on the "capsule" and then screw down the lids.

Put the jars into the sterilising kettle, clip them down and then add enough cold water to cover by about an inch or two. Put on the lid of the pan, put the thermometer in position and then start heating. Try to adjust the rate of heating so that it takes 90 minutes to come to temperature, which in the case of concassée tomatoes, is 88C (call it 90 for safety). Once at temperature, reduce the heat a bit to keep that temperature steady and continue for 40 minutes. When the time is up, turn off the heat, remove thermometer and lid and take the jars out. Leave overnight to cool. When cold, remove the lids, check the seal of the capsule by lifting each jar in turn just holding the capsule at the edges, and finally, label and store.

Another way of sterilising is in the pressure cooker, but that'll only hold about three jars. If you need me to, I can look up the details, because the detailed timing varies as to whether the jars are wholly immersed or not.
Last edited by ianinfrance on August 25th, 2013, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » August 25th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Many thanks Ian, I shall have a go when time permits....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Rainbow » August 25th, 2013, 11:38 pm

In Australia we have "Fowler's Vacola" preserving kits - been sold here for years. I have an electric one - but I think they may be only in Oz, so not much use to you lot? ;) :? But thought you might be interested.

The jars of fruit or tomatoes are slowly brought to the boil and the whole process takes an hour - it's very simple and works well :D

But they don't recommend doing other vegetables due to the low acidity. I always add a bit of citric acid to the jars of tomatoes to ensure they are acid enough to preserve safely.

http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Bra ... ers-Vacola
Rainbow
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 26th, 2013, 8:47 am

Rainbow wrote:In Australia we have "Fowler's Vacola" preserving kits - been sold here for years

I have a similar electric "preserving" kettle, but either it's not really suitable for preserving, because the thermostat is set to cut off a tad too low, or else mine is slightly faulty, because it won't hold a temperature of 100C which is what I use for non acid ingredients. So I spoilt a number of soups before I discovered.

Just for your information. The reason it is not recommended to sterilise non acid things is because of botulism. This is a soil borne clostridium bacterium which does not tolerate oxygen, so in general, vegetables that do not grow underground are not going to become contaminated. Furthermore, the bacterium is killed well below 100C, but in dying it releases endospores, which are protected from heat by its remains and are only destroyed by temperatures above 125C in non acid conditions. Under the low oxygen levels inside a jar, the spores can hatch and reinfect the produce and that can be dangerous - but only if the contents of the jar are consumed uncooked. The clostridium bacterium is not dangerous in itself, but in proliferating, produces a toxin which is known as "botox" (yes really). That is one of the most powerful poisons known. However it is what is technically called "thermolabile" - destroyed by heat. 10 minutes simmering will destroy all of it. So if you bottle (as I do) soups from non acid vegetables, then all you need to do to be 100% safe is to bring to the boil and simmer for quarter of an hour.

Naturally in this litigious society, no "elf and safety expert" will tell you all the above for fear of being sued when some careless person does NOT follow these guidelines to the letter and poisons their family or friends. It's the truth, nevertheless. Oh... one last thing. Sodium nitrite is a specific anti-botulism poison. So if you can meat products with nitrited salt instead of ordinary salt, then the cans are perfectly safe to be eaten cold - as long as they have been sterilised properly. 90 mins to come to a full roiling boil and 2 hours at boiling point.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » August 26th, 2013, 9:17 am

Sorry not to get back with the tomato sorbet recipe but basically:

Tomato Water Ice/Sorbet

For 500g skinned deseeded and chopped (weighed after prep)

Soften the tomatoes in a little olive oil with a clove of crushed garlic garlic, salt, 2 tsp sugar, a stick of celery and an onion sliced.
Add a couple of sprigs of mint and the zest and juice of ½a lemon Cover and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Add a dash each of tabasco and Worcestershire sauce I also sometimes add a tsp or so of balsamic vinegar

Whizz in a processor or blender. Cool then, for a sorbet, add the stiffly beaten white of an egg (without it is a water ice)

If you have an icecream maker then churn until frozen. If not, put into a plastic container and freeze, beating well with a fork from time to time.

All the above amounts are flexible, entirely depends on you taste.
Last edited by ianinfrance on August 26th, 2013, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » August 26th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Merci Ratatouille.

As I said to Luca over the tomato essence, with our tomatoes in glut, this is clearly the moment to try it.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby sueturnersmith » September 1st, 2013, 2:25 pm

We had an easy but delicious lunch today of tomatoes on toast.

Roughly chop some tomatoes - slightly over-ripe are fine - and fry in butter, sprinkled with a little sugar, salt and pepper until softened. Serve on hot buttered toast.
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby tezza » September 2nd, 2013, 12:06 pm

sueturnersmith wrote:We had an easy but delicious lunch today of tomatoes on toast.

Roughly chop some tomatoes - slightly over-ripe are fine - and fry in butter, sprinkled with a little sugar, salt and pepper until softened. Serve on hot buttered toast.

Ah one of my favourite meals, except I use olive oil instead of butter. I have never added sugar though. My granddad used to liberally sprinkle with ground white pepper, as I still do now. Delicious.

Having now worked my way through the tomato glut with not tomato going to waste :chef: I purchased some rather insipid looking ones from Tesco on Saturday. I am on a budget this month so couldn't splash out on the vine ripened ones that I would usually buy. So will have to review some of the suggestions on here before deciding how I am going to make them tasty. :chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby scullion » August 25th, 2019, 10:24 pm

a good time of year to bounce it up, thanks suffolk.
it may be a race against time as to whether i get tomatoes before the dreaded blight gets them.
scullion
Registered

Postby wargarden » August 26th, 2019, 11:12 pm

tomato wine does not seem to be on the list!
wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 27th, 2019, 7:30 am

Hmm. There was a time when I might have given that a go, just for the hell of it, depending on how many tomatoes you need.

I really need to make something with some small sweet tomatoes that are very very ripe (still on the plant) asap. There aren't enough for a sauce really. I suppose I could just make a sauce with whatever I have right now (rather than wait to do a single variety sauce :) ). Some beefsteak ones are getting there. Red but might be better if I wait a bit longer.

Last night we had Summerlast 'bruschetta'.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » August 27th, 2019, 11:35 am

wargarden wrote:tomato wine does not seem to be on the list!

hardly surprising.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 27th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Homemade tomato wine sounds like something found at a 70's 'bring a bottle' party. Has anyone ever tried it?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 27th, 2019, 12:44 pm

It's like something from 'The Good Life'! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 27th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Apparently it's big in Canada... or was at one point.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/omerto-tomato-wine

I once made Rowan Berry wine (when I was a teenager :? ) It was foul.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 27th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Hawthorn berry wine was surprisingly pleasant, I remember :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 27th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Really?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 27th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Yup ... it was a long time ago but from memory it was a bit like a med-dry sherry and I got a prize at the village show for it a second of third probably ... not a first ... I’d have remembered that :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 27th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Well done! My ma always picked hawthorn berries to eat if we were out for a walk. I never liked them much even though I ate them.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 27th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I once made Rowan Berry wine (when I was a teenager :? ) It was foul.

I made a batch of Rowan Vodka one year when the Sloe crop was abysmal and it was pretty good. I was thinking of giving it another go.

Suffs, like the idea of the Hawthorn wine- well done indeed! :tu:

Must say home made wine can be splendid. My father was a dab hand at it. His Blackberry was wonderful (not to mention lethal :) ).

Wonder if you can still get Gales Country Wines? Don't see Gales pubs any more come to think of it...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 27th, 2019, 7:34 pm

It's altogether possible that my Rowanberry wine was horrid because I didn't do it well. My sister said it tasted like brandy.

My father's homemade wine was pretty bad and got worse over the years. I suspect he didn't clean his demijohns properly. He started making it out of frugality, but then the price of imported wine came down and he eventually stopped bothering. At one (intermediate) point he was ruining perfectly adequate cheap bought stuff by mixing it half and half with his homemade. He used to get kits from Boots. I used to make it too, and it was never great, but drinkable, at a pinch.
I also used to make cider and beer...
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Kitchen