Delia's Basque Chicken

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Delia's Basque Chicken

Postby Bubbles » March 25th, 2014, 5:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone has made this? I cooked it on Saturday and despite extending the cooking time and turning up the heat, the rice was still very firm. I don't often use brown Basmati - only white which I am fine with. The amount of liquid was right for the amount of rice, and there was still some left in the dish. The chicken thighs were only just cooked as well, and could have been a tad more tender.

I think I didn't have it on a high enough heat to begin with; induction hobs can be tricky, and I suppose all pans are different - this one is a shallow cast iron casserole like a Le Creuset but not as expensive! Any ideas as to how I can do better next time? Thanks.
Bubbles
Registered

Re: Delia's Basque Chicken

Postby ianinfrance » March 25th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Yup, I make it - or rather my version of it, fairly often. I do use brown basmati and it's true that it is not as tender and the white. Here's what I do. My changes are to allow me to do some of the work in advance and then compose the lot and cook it in the oven. I use a huge roasting tin, covered with foil.

Basque Flavoured Chicken with Rice (Souvigne)

Note. It would be best for this recipe to buy three whole chickens and joint them, keeping the breasts for another meal and making stock from the carcases (and giblets if provided). The legs from 3 decent sized chickens will weigh around 1300-1500g. If you do this, make stock from it in the usual way, and reserve enough for the recipe, Freeze the rest or use it to make soup etc.

1400 g chicken legs; separated in 2
700 g red peppers; halved & cored
500 g onions; peeled & quartered
4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
4 lg cloves garlic; sliced thin
100 g sun-dried tomatoes in oil cut in 1 cm strips
270 g chorizo; peeled sliced 1 cm
350 g brown basmati rice
50 g pitted black olives; halved
600 ml chicken stock
340 ml dry white wine
2 Tbs tomato purée
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp chopped fresh herbs
1 large orange; peeled & cut into wedges
Salt
freshly ground black pepper

Advance preparation. It's worth doing all this preparation before hand, so that the assembly of the dish takes place smoothly.

Cut the red peppers into reasonably good sized pieces. If the are the usual shape, cut each half lengthways into 6 strips and cut each strip in half. If you manage to get italian long frying peppers (much better flavour), halve, core and then cut into 4 pieces across. Quarter and peel the onions (much easier to do it that way round, removing the skins with the roots), and then cut them into thick strips across the quarters, aiming to get pieces about the same size as the pepper bits. Put into a bowl with the. peppers.

Cut the sun dried tomatoes across into 1cm strips, peel and slice thinly the garlic cloves and put them with the tomatoes in another bowl. (Peel and) slice the chorizo 1 cm thick - best are the cooking chorizo which are becoming easier to find nowadays, but failing that, use decent quality cured chorizo. Put the chorizo in the bowl with the tomatoes and the garlic, cover and put into the fridge. Measure out the stock and the wine, keeping them apart. Measure the tomato puree and add it to the stock. Do the same for the paprika.,

Weigh out the olives, pit and halve them. Put in the fridge in a suitable container. Weigh out the rice.

Preliminary cooking.

Heat the olive oil in a large wok on a wok burner. When really smoking hot, add the onions and peppers. On the highest heat of the wok burner, cook this mixture for about 9 minutes stirring only from time to time, more continuously towards the end of the cooking time.

When the time is up, check the state of the vegetables, which should be soft, and with the edges of the onions slightly browned. If needed, cook a couple of minutes longer before adding in the mixture of chorizo, sun dried tomatoes and garlic. Turn down the heat very slightly and cook for another 5 minutes or so stirring occasionally. The chorizo will have given out some of their fat and the garlic will be gold in colour. When the time is up, tip everything into a sieve set over a bowl and leave till the final cooking.

May be cooked ahead to here.

Season the chicken legs on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large non stick frying pan, fry the chicken pieces in a little oil until golden brown on both sides, cooking as many at a time as will comfortably fit in the bottom without crowding. Remove when done and keep aside.

While frying the chicken legs, the oil and juices that have drained from the vegetables go back into the wok, and are heated to very hot. Over high heat, stir the rice in that mixture until hot and well coated. Without reducing the heat, add the wine, bring it to the boil and cook to reduce alcohol, before adding the stock and vegetables. Reheat to boiling stirring from time to time.

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (170°C fan). Once the mixture is boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer. Stir in the olives, correct the seasoning and then compose the dish in a very large earthenware baking dish. The rice/veg mixture goes in first, then bury the chicken pieces in it. add the orange segments and finally sprinkle with the chopped herbs. Cover the baking dish with greaseproof paper and then with foil crimped round the edges. Place the dish in the middle of the pre-heated oven and cook for one and a half hours. (If using white basmati. or Camargue brown rice, cook about an hour).

Servings: 8

Recipe Type: British, grains, main dish, poultry, vegetables

Source
Author: Recipe IMH loosely based on Delia's Basque Chicken.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Bubbles » March 26th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Thanks Ian, can I ask why you leave it draining in a sieve? I probably needed more heat to begin with. I also notice you used smoked paprika which I do have available - do you think it is better than normal paprika? Delia's recipe calls for hot pap but I just used more of the standard one and a little chilli powder!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 26th, 2014, 6:55 pm

So it's not too fatty. I can then use that to help brown the chick.

Smoked paprika is not identical to many of the best, which come from hungary, It has its own flavour profile, but I'd not say it was essential.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Pip » March 26th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Thanks for the recipe Ian. It's gone into the recipe folder for a party on the terrace across the water this summer.

Make a change from paella.

Pip
Our beautiful French village - www.segur-prior.eu
Pip
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 26th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Pip wrote:Thanks for the recipe Ian.
You're welcome. The changes I made from Delia's original were to allow me to do nearly all the advance prep, peeling, coring slicing and stuff followed by the first searing of the vegetables. Then about 1h45 minutes before wanting to eat it, you have only about 15 minutes of work before it goes into the oven to cook unsupervised. So it works well for a dinner such as we do here (with 5 courses and drinks before dinner, the main dish is usually eaten 1 hour after they sit down for apéros) so we have the cooking and mess well out of the way before drinks. I should add that we like it very much indeed. Although 6 large whole legs weigh the 1300gms and therefore one would think that it would only do for 6-8, it will actually feed around 10 or so. We do it for 8 knowing we'll get lots of rice & veg left over for the next day.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » June 4th, 2018, 5:49 pm

We had a version of this for supper ... I omitted the paprika and the chorizo and replaced it with a generous pinch of saffron (soaked in a little hot water for 10 mins) and a smidgeon of orange flower water instead of fresh oranges.

It was superb!!!!!!! :chops: :chops: :chops: We will be having this again ....... soon :chef:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 5th, 2018, 7:51 am

suffolk wrote:We had a version of this for supper ... I omitted the paprika and the chorizo and replaced it with a generous pinch of saffron (soaked in a little hot water for 10 mins) and a smidgeon of orange flower water instead of fresh oranges.

It was superb!!!!!!! :chops: :chops: :chops: We will be having this again ....... soon :chef:

What a coincidence, we had 4 friends round for supper last night, and I made Delia’s chicken basque!
I wanted a one pot dish that I could leave in the oven, as we were having drinks in the garden. A cold starter of asparagus tart, and panna cotta, fruit salad and a choice of home made ice creams for pud.It was perfect for a warm humid evening.
I haven’t made chicken basque for years, and I’m so pleased I resurrected it, it was a huge success, and the visitors hadn’t had it before. I did double quantity, and there’s little left! I had forgotten just how tasty it is. I followed the recipe exactly.
Time to put Delia’s ‘Summer’ cookbook on the top of the pile and try some more old favourites I think.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 5th, 2018, 8:47 am

Snap!!! Pat :hi5:

It's a favourite here ... but this was the first time I'd used saffron instead of paprika ... a delicious alternative.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 5th, 2018, 10:44 am

When you cut the chicken up, do you remove the breasts from the carcase, or leave the ribs and backbone attached, please? I've never really been sure.
Gruney
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 5th, 2018, 11:16 am

suffolk wrote:Snap!!! Pat :hi5:

It's a favourite here ... but this was the first time I'd used saffron instead of paprika ... a delicious alternative.

Delia did a similar dish in her ‘winter’ book, which uses saffron. I have made it, but also a long time ago, and I seem to think we didn’t like it as much as the basque....a bit sharp with the lemons in it.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/typ ... s-and-rice
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 5th, 2018, 11:26 am

patpoyntz wrote:I seem to think we didn’t like it as much as the basque....a bit sharp with the lemons in it.

I used orange ... worked well with the saffron. :chops:

Gruney wrote:When you cut the chicken up, do you remove the breasts from the carcase, or leave the ribs and backbone attached, please? I've never really been sure.

When jointing a chicken for this sort of dish I do it like this https://www.leiths.com/how-tos/how-to-j ... ght-pieces

But for the meal last night there were just the two of us, so I used four skin on chicken thighs and reduced the other quantities by approximately half :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 5th, 2018, 11:43 am

Thanks Suffs - kind of you.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 5th, 2018, 12:14 pm

A pleasure Gruney :wave:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 5th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Snagging for next time I have chicken bits in. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » June 5th, 2018, 1:43 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Snagging for next time I have chicken bits in. :tu:

This thread has reminded me of the recipe, which I used to make a lot!
KC2
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 6th, 2018, 2:53 pm

I often make this and have always preferred it without the orange, although I must admit it's years since I tried it with orange.
A pal served us pork loin with orange sauce recently and it was delicious.
Maybe I ought to try this with the orange again :scared:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 7th, 2018, 11:21 pm

I'm keen on making this pretty soon, but am a little bit worried about temperatures. The recipe says cook on the hob at the gentlest possible heat, or put in the oven at 180 deg. For the gentlest possible heat on my gas hob, I would use a simmer mat - but 180 degrees in the oven seems a bit high to me - I would have thought, intuitively, about 140 deg. I don't want to come back to a heap of ashes - any advice please? I've had a similar experience with a Hairy Bikers' recipe for a curry.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2018, 5:58 am

I have cooked it both on the hob (using a simmer mat) and in the oven in a cast iron casserole. As you suggest, 180 seems hot to me so I lower the temp after about 20 mins ... probably to around 150 ish ... however I usually then leave it in the oven for an extended period while we natter as it's a meal I often use when having guests to lunch.
It's pretty flexible really. :)
Last edited by suffolk on June 8th, 2018, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 8th, 2018, 6:06 am

Thanks for the reassurance, Suffs. Enjoy your fish and chips.
Last edited by Gruney on June 8th, 2018, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2018, 6:14 am

I do check it when I lower the temp and sometimes add a bit more hot stock/water ... I find that rice can vary in absorbency ... I'm sure you'll add this to your regular repertoire ... enjoy :D :wave:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 12th, 2018, 6:38 pm

I made it yesterday but I didn't have an orange.
Must try harder.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Amber » June 12th, 2018, 9:08 pm

I like the orange and often add extra, but the amount of stock/water to rice seems to vary every time. I’ve often thought about par-boiling, but I think it would be very easy to over do.
Amber
Registered

Return to The Kitchen