Looks offally good

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Looks offally good

Postby Catherine » February 22nd, 2015, 9:03 pm

Some lovely looking recipes in the Guardian. Thought I would share

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ue-10-best
Catherine
Registered

Re: Looks offally good

Postby suffolk » February 23rd, 2015, 7:23 am

Great! Thank you Catherine :D Bookmarked. :tu: I have some pigs' kidneys in the freezer. :hungry:

As for trippa alla romagna - it is absolutely delicious - one of my favourite dishes of all time. I cooked it once for a 'bring a dish' dinner party and didn't tell anyone what it was - everyone loved it and came back for seconds - it was the dish that was empty first. Only one person recognised it and he and I exchanged conspiratorial winks as everyone tucked in. When I told people that it was tripe they were surprised and said they'd never had it before, didn't know it could be that delicious and they would have it again .... I wonder if they did? ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Kavey » February 23rd, 2015, 9:23 am

I'm very confused that ox cheeks are considered offal. They're just another muscle. I thought offal was the organs and entrails?
Kavey
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 23rd, 2015, 9:38 am

Suffs, that sounds wonderful! :chops:

I've never cooked tripe as I've never been sure what to do with it. I really must rectify the situation.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 23rd, 2015, 9:45 am

Kavey wrote:I'm very confused that ox cheeks are considered offal. They're just another muscle. I thought offal was the organs and entrails?

I agree with you Kavey - but somehow the category has expanded to include the bits that most people don't use and at some butchers' places would get disposed of rather than sold - e.g. tails, heads, ears, feet, udders - all of which I prefer to many prime cuts :hungry:

The problem is that as with belly of pork and lamb shanks, no sooner does a tv chef start using them than the price quadruples :rolleyes: You used to be able to get ox cheek really cheaply, but the price is creeping up ...

Edited to add: Oxcheek in Waitrose today £7.49 per kg.
Last edited by suffolk on February 23rd, 2015, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 23rd, 2015, 1:04 pm

Really cross because I typed a longish post earlier and the door bell rang so it vanished!!

I too prefer most offal to things like steak and pork chops, so thank you Catherine for the link.

Love all offal but Mr Rat has never been persuaded to eat tripe or kindeys though perversely he happily eats pieds et paquets and andouilletes. The latter I find not very nice so when I cook one for him I do a veal kidney for myself.

The best tripe I have ever had (with tripes a la provencale a close second) was in Italy. Both Rome and Venice do fabulous tripe dishes. When I ordered tripe in Venice I was rewarded with a grappa for my "bravery".

One of our favourites is ox tongue which I brine before cooking in red wine, stock and herbs in the oven. First meal is served hot with a piquant sauce. I press the rest and serve it next day with sauce gribiche. Lambs tongues are also very tasty.

Love sweetbreads too but they are expensive. There are a couple of ox cheeks in the freezer waiting to be used, so that pie sounds like a winner.

Faggots or something similar are called caillettes and the recipe varies from region to region.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Kavey » February 23rd, 2015, 4:03 pm

Suffolk, yes I most often buy ox cheek at Waitrose, used to be £5-£6 a kilo but is now, as you say, £7.49. And that's still cheap compared to prices I've seen in butchers and online, London side, anyway.
Kavey
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 23rd, 2015, 5:27 pm

I too buy Waitrose ox cheek but it's nearly always RTC round here on a Wednesday so I stock up! ;) I think Harrow on the Hill peeps are too posh to use it . . . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 23rd, 2015, 7:28 pm

I pay about half of that and I can get it prepared if I wish.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » February 24th, 2015, 11:23 pm

I am not sure that I consider ox cheek to be offal really, it's just a muscle like any other, it works hard but then there are plenty others that do that.

Although heart clearly is, I regard it as intermediate between what I class as true offal which is parts of the body which are not muscular, and meat which does consist of muscle. But that's purely my personal position.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » February 25th, 2015, 10:00 am

I was pondering along the same lines as Ian

I suppose it depends on whether you define it as "organ meats" or what is left when you've taken the main cuts - and I suspect US and British uses may be slightly different

The Oxford dictionary says
1.The entrails and internal organs of an animal used as food:[/b]
1.1Waste material: ‘the packing plant dumped its offal into the stream’ More example sentences ‘’
1.2Decomposing animal flesh: ‘gulls pecking at piles of offal from the narwhal hunt’

But Merriam Webster goe sfor
1: the waste or by-product of a process: as
a : trimmings of a hide
b : the by-products of milling used especially for stock feeds
c : the viscera and trimmings of a butchered animal removed in dressing : variety meat
2: rubbish
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 25th, 2015, 1:54 pm

It never occurred to me either that cheeks would be classed as offal. Heart to my mind definitely is/

I have never tried tripe but there is a dish that Rick Stein watches being cooked on one of his shows and that looks delicious
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 24th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Apparently it's World Tripe Day today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41734108 :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2017, 2:50 pm

@kavey @suffolk
I thought this but checked with OED, originally offal meant the off cuts or waste from any process, I'm sure I've heard the term used in metal working. In butchery it came to mean mainly organs and entrails but seems to be moving back to meaning all the off cuts, even in butchery.
In my view cheek and tongue as part of the head could always have been considered offal, but there might (as ever with butchery) be regional variation

Anyway I love kidneys in sherry or Madeira and fir some reason they are particularly nice with polenta or even sweetcorn.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 24th, 2017, 9:42 pm

When we were camping in Somerset there was a farm shop next to the camp site.. Mum got a bargain on lambs kidneys so I made them a meal I make for the kids, kidneys and mushrooms in a brandy, grain mustard and cream sauce and lots of parsley, served with rice. Quick, easy, cheap and delicious
Catherine
Registered

Postby Amber » October 24th, 2017, 10:34 pm

That sounds lovely, Catherine.
Amber
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 25th, 2017, 6:56 am

Anyway I love kidneys in sherry or Madeira and fir some reason they are particularly nice with polenta or even sweetcorn.

There's a Mark Hix recipe in which they are served upon a slice of roasted cauliflower. Ace!

Thinking about it, those ones might be devilled, but still worth a go in place of a slice of toast. :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 25th, 2017, 7:00 am

I notice that devilled kidneys on toast are on the bar menu at St John and the breakfast menu at St John B&W.

Just saying... :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 25th, 2017, 12:22 pm

I love kidneys Turbigo like this:
https://www.thewi.org.uk/what-we-do/rec ... ys-turbigo

Very Vistorian breakfast and I used to cook some every christmas as part of a really old fashioned breakfast brunch. Unfortunately the younger generations will not look at them.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2017, 12:51 pm

I got some lambs kidneys out of the freezer yesterday and supper today will be along these lines
https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/calv ... d-polenta/ :hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 25th, 2017, 1:50 pm

If you hadn't mentioned elsewhere you had only enough for 1 I would have been round.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I'm afraid I'd have to invest in a moat and drawbridge Rats ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 25th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Unfortunately the younger generations will not look at them.

I'm lucky when feeding my nephews. Their dad very much believes in the 'eat everything but the oink' ethos, so they will at least try everything.

Suffolk, that recipe looks gorgeous, thanks for sharing.
Catherine
Registered

Return to The Kitchen