pumpkin

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: pumpkin

Postby liketocook » November 21st, 2018, 9:57 am

Oh sounds good Mamta :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 22nd, 2018, 12:57 pm

Pumpkin parathas: I made them yesterday. I used 4 variations of stuffing/fillings;
1. grated raw, sweet
2. grated raw, spicy
3. cooked mash, sweet
4. cooked mash, spicy

Grated raw pumpkin did not taste special, either sweet, or spicy. It is not worth making, so won't try again.

Cooked and mashed pumpkin was very nice, but a bit fiddly to make. I microwave steamed the peeled and sliced pumpkin/squash first. This was so it doesn't collect any extra water during boiling. Then I mashed it. It still looked a bit too watery to be used as a filling in paratha, because it needs to be similar consistency to the dough, otherwise it leaks out when you roll the paratha. So I pan fried it, without oil, until it looked correct consistency. this took a while.
Then I added a little ground green cardamom to the mash. No extra sugar was required, because it was sweet enough.
I made it the same way as any other paratha with a filling. It tasted very nice, might make it again, but would prefer to make it with mashed potato, sweetened with a little sugar or with sweet potato, flavoured with cardamom or saffron.
You could make the dough with mashed pumpkin, but then it won't taste as nice as the filled one.
1 a.jpg
1 a.jpg (33.5 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Mamta
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 24th, 2018, 10:25 am

That looks great Mamta :) but sounds like a lot of work. Thanks for reporting back. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 24th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Pumpkin is a bit more difficult than it seems at times.
Thursday´s Thanksgiving thing involved pumpkin pie. Beautifully made, wonderful crumbly pastry, the subtle use of ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg..... and the pumpkin? Sort of underwhelming!
My two favourite recipes with the vegetable are pumpkin soup and tortelloni stuffed with pumpkin and served with sage butter.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen