Slow cooker recipes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Slow cooker recipes

Postby Gruney » January 25th, 2016, 10:01 am

4dogsagain wrote:I have a 3.5l slow cooker, and use for batch cooking. I like to cook beef stew in bulk, then freeze; likewise mutton, venison and even good old mince. I get at least eight or nine servings. I never heard of it being more than 3/4 full, mine is often just and inch or so from the top! I've never had a problem.

The problem arises when it's just an inch or two from the bottom.
Gruney
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » January 25th, 2016, 11:28 am

Gruney wrote:The problem arises when it's just an inch or two from the bottom.

I dry cook several things, such as chicken and pork shanks. No liquid at all, but they do both release a bit of liquid.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 25th, 2016, 11:31 am

I will never forget the first time I slow cooked a chicken. Everyone had promised me lovely juices and great flavour etc. In the event it was horrible. It was when we were really hard up and I'd used the cheapest chicken I could buy. :o :o

You do have to pay a bit more sometimes. ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 5th, 2016, 8:47 am

I love doing a whole chicken, I think it was Suelle that posted it on BBC Food Chat, and I picked it up from there.
I used to use white wine and water, but have found that water alone works fine, throw in some carrot / leek trimmings if I have them, not much else.
And let it poach.
Meat is super tender, hard to lift the chicken out because it can fall apart. And there's a portion of stock there, from the cooking liquid.
Leftover meat used for recipes like my chicken tarragon pasta bake or risotto.
Then the bones, tendons, skin etc go back in slow cooker overnight and yes, the second stock does still have great flavour, use that for risotto too, or freeze till next time needed.

Here are the few recipes I have on my blog for slow cookers: http://www.kaveyeats.com/tag/slow-cooker
Kavey
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 5th, 2016, 9:15 am

Morning Kavey.
I like the sound of the Carbonnade of Beef I have printed it off & will be giving it a whirl,
thanks
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 5th, 2016, 1:36 pm

:tu:
Kavey
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 5th, 2016, 2:23 pm

hickybank wrote:Morning Kavey.
I like the sound of the Carbonnade of Beef I have printed it off & will be giving it a whirl,
thanks
Terry

Me too! That looks right up my street. Thanks a lot. :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby LinzerTorte » March 5th, 2016, 2:25 pm

.... and me three! I'll be making it during the coming week.
Thank you Kavey :tu: :chops:
“First we eat, then we do everything else.” -M.F.K. Fisher
LinzerTorte
Registered

Postby terifaulkner » March 5th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Hickythere is a book called "fix-it-and forget it"...actually a whole series...one good easy one is a chicken and a bottle of sauterne wine...cookm on low all day....also, i know all of ya'll across the pond frown on cream of mushroom soup,but a favirute of ours is mushroom soup,white wine.onions...to be used on chicken or pork.....for beef use sone beef broth and red wine..cook on low all day....best of luck...teri
terifaulkner
Registered

Postby scullion » March 5th, 2016, 6:16 pm

terifaulkner wrote:i know all of ya'll across the pond frown on cream of mushroom soup

not at all! i use condensed cream of mushroom soup (without reconstituting) with added fried mushrooms and garlic, as a filling in savoury pancakes.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 5th, 2016, 8:31 pm

terifaulkner wrote:i know all of ya'll across the pond frown on cream of mushroom soup

I remember with great affection a recipe given to me by an American friend - it involved cold roast chicken and chopped celery mixed with condensed chicken soup and topped with crushed potato 'chips' (crisps in the UK). It was a family favourite for a couple of summers a long time ago when the children were young.

I'll have to make it again ... OH has never tried it.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 6th, 2016, 8:46 am

Hi teri.
I must admit when I troll the internet for recipes I often come across recipes from the US that use condensed soup & always turn my nose up at them, but perhaps it is a case of don't knock it until you try it, so perhaps I should.

I do remember many years ago ( about 30) when my children were young, their favourite meal was Potato Volcano, this was a circle of mashed potato hollowed out on the centre & filled with condensed mushroom soup & diced chicken, now that brings back memouries. does anyone else remember it?

Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 6th, 2016, 9:50 am

It's a good book for more inspiration on the range of things you can do in a slow cooker, so well worth getting. It's £12 on bookpeople, a little more on Amazon. The link to the carbonnade is my review post of the book. x
Kavey
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 6th, 2016, 10:43 am

I have just bought 2 slow cooker books so need to troll through those first to see if I need another
If anyone is interested it is on ebay through world of books who deal in second hand.
However I have bought several books from them & they have all been in new condition.

here is the link to it, it is £9.07 with free postage

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slow-Cooked-2 ... SwKtVW1WKb
hickybank
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 9th, 2016, 9:42 am

Well the Carbonnade is in the slow cooker ready for tonight, I have to run a friend the the hospital later so will pop the Bagette in when I return
will let you know what i think of it later

Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 9th, 2016, 7:30 pm

Had the carbonnade today & very nice it was bursting with flavour, I used Hobgoblin ale in it.

We were not overkeen on the Mustard Baguette on top it seemed to overpower the dish. perhaps I put too much on the bread, I may leave it off next time or use a lot less mustard, if you make it please let me have your opinion
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 9th, 2016, 11:56 pm

It must have tasted delicious if you used Hobgoblin, Hickey. A wonderful drop of beer!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 10th, 2016, 1:31 am

Yes not a bad pint at all, sometimes the guest beer at my local :drool: :drool:
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 12th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Bumping up for Tezza
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 13th, 2018, 12:16 am

Thanks suffs! I missed that in my search somehow. Knew it was there somewhere. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2018, 6:19 am

There are so many posts with ‘slow cooker’ in them. :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 13th, 2018, 8:57 am

I will enjoy reading back over this one today. :grin: :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2018, 11:09 am

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 13th, 2018, 11:21 am

my daughter has alerted me to this (not this site but the product) that she's had a go at making, possibly with some of the kefir grains that i have passed on to her (thanks again Patsy) rather than sour cream or other starter.
it has occurred to me that the bottle of 'kefir' i bought from sainsbugs and used as a starter for subsequent batches was this (i wondered why it didn't produce the 'grains'!). it's another thing that the slow cooker can be used for.
it also occurred to me that one could (possibly) make clotted cream in a slow cooker
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2018, 11:28 am

Thanks Scully ... Russian ex DIL used to talk about the 'cooked milk' that she couldn't get here ... must've been that. Also, as an aside, I've recently changed to using kefir on my muesli rather than yoghurt ... really good. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 13th, 2018, 12:53 pm

The thought of that milk makes me feel :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » September 13th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Ratatouille wrote:The thought of that milk makes me feel :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:

each to their own - the taste of goats cheese does the same for me - not to mention fish, liver, kidneys, tripe and meat in general - all of which i was made to eat when small, so not just the thought.

the one bought in sainsbug's (it reminded me a little of the flavour of crema catalana) was really nice so i will be having a go at some point.
scullion
Registered

Postby Kavey » September 14th, 2018, 7:01 am

I love my slow cooker.
It does take some practice as using the same recipe / ratios for a stew/casserole as you would when cooking on stovetop or oven won't work well, it'll be bland. Liquid doesn't evaporate / thicken in the same way, so you need less plus we usually slip the lid half off for the last half to an hour to let some of that liquid steam away.
Mum does some of her Indian recipes in a slow cooker.
I do jacket potatoes in them, they are waaay better than microwave and handy for when you're out and want something hot and carby when you get home. We'll usually make toppings in advance such as a smoked fish and creme fraiche spread, or do something easy like baked beans and cheese.
We also use it after a roast chicken dinner to make overnight stock from the carcass.
We also do a whole poached chicken in there, we used to use white wine, and stock veg but now don't bother with anything but water, still works beautifully and the liquid is then saved and sieved as stock. The carcass goes back in overnight to make second stock, which is actually just as good as the skin and bones release their goodness for that one.
And here's a recipe from a slow cooker cookbook that is a tasty option, you can switch those toasts for dumplings if you like https://www.kaveyeats.com/2014/11/slow- ... -beef.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 14th, 2018, 7:22 am

Interesting that you do jacket potatoes in your slowie Kavey. Do you just pop them in on their own, and how long for / temp etc please?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 14th, 2018, 9:03 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Interesting that you do jacket potatoes in your slowie Kavey. Do you just pop them in on their own, and how long for / temp etc please?

I would say minimum of 4 hours Tezza, probably more.. I must have a go as I have never done jackets in my Instant Pot that doubles as a pressure and slow cooker.

However, on the subject of slow cooked chicken... I don't even add liquid at all, just a couple of quartered onions to stand the whole bird on .. then slow cook for about 4 hours (this is the automatic time on my IP, which can be changed) .. when ready, take the chicken out, then blitz the remaining onion and stock that has been released for the most delicious 'jus' :tu: :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 9:44 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:on the subject of slow cooked chicken... I don't even add liquid at all, just a couple of quartered onions to stand the whole bird on

Same here :chops: :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 14th, 2018, 10:03 am

I don't add liquid either but always add the juice of a lemon and put the remaining shell into the chicken cavity - sometimes with a couple of crushed garlic cloves. I think that this method of cooking chicken is the best when one wants to cook a chicken to have cold .. the breasts are used for that, the rest for cooked chicken dishes and of course, as mentioned, there is the wonderful lemon/garlic liquor plus second cooking of the bones to use for other things. Heaven!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 15th, 2018, 8:31 pm

This is pretty much what I do with pheasant too. Sit it on a layer of onion, carrot maybe celery or celeriac if there is any, add garlic and herbs, S&P and cook on slow in the IP. Liquidise the juice and veg for gravy. Leftover gravy is frozen to use on the next pheasant. Works with chicken and guinea fowl as well of course. Sometimes add a bit of turmeric or Baharat.

All bones & carcasses are pressure cooked in the IP for stock before I discard them.
Badger's mate
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen