Marshmallow

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Marshmallow

Postby Pepper Pig » June 2nd, 2016, 9:43 am

Something else I've never tried. Look at the calorie count. :o

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... arshmallow
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Marshmallow

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 2nd, 2016, 10:35 am

Marshmallows, or Jelly babies are recommended to help solidify your output if you have a colostomy and suffer with Diarrohea ... I hope this isn't too much information, but how brilliant that you can officially eat something as yummy as this :tu: :chops: ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 2nd, 2016, 12:18 pm

I didn't know that Pat. I have made marshmallows and Turkish Delight but i don't recall it being as complicated as suggested. Must look up the recipe. The GCs used to love both making and eating it :hungry: :hungry:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 2nd, 2016, 3:58 pm

I agree, I used to make sweets, including marshmallows, with my children. They were not difficult - I first made them at school. I have never used a hand mixer for them. I'm sure the pink ones were flavoured with something, rosewater perhaps?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 2nd, 2016, 5:15 pm

Marshmallows are on the to do list to make with the kids. Thanks Pepper Pig, you've just reminded me to get this sorted, although I prefer other recipes to the one here.
Catherine
Registered

Postby badgerbum » June 2nd, 2016, 5:28 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Marshmallows, or Jelly babies are recommended to help solidify your output if you have a colostomy and suffer with Diarrohea ... I hope this isn't too much information, but how brilliant that you can officially eat something as yummy as this :tu: :chops: ;)

This is where my Haribo addiction started ! Have got a sack full of goodies :)
badgerbum
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 2nd, 2016, 7:02 pm

badgerbum wrote:This is where my Haribo addiction started ! Have got a sack full of goodies

My 6 year old nephew is a Haibo addict, closely followed by my parents. Needles to say young George loves going in Grandma and Grandads car :lol:
Last edited by Catherine on June 3rd, 2016, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby WorldCupGilly » June 3rd, 2016, 8:19 am

I'm not a fan of marshmallows in any form, so gaily agreed that Baby Daughter could make a batch when she was given HFW's Family Cookbook (which, by the way, is a brilliant introduction for 10+ yo) which included a recipe. She would have been about 11 or 12. I had no idea it involved boiling sugar, so imagine my "bad parent horror" to find her gaily pouring soft ball sugar syrup into the whirling mixer of egg whites and gelatin! :o :terrified: :o . Especially as my experience of making fudge with her was ending up with a ball of boiling caramel whizzing out of the pan and hitting me straight between the eyes.
There were no mishaps and the marshmallows were a great, sugary success.
WorldCupGilly
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 3rd, 2016, 8:27 am

Loving all the grandparent tales!

I am curious, what component of Haribo helps with diarrohea etc? Do they cause constipation in people who are not suffering from problems? I can only think it must be gelatine or whatever they use. :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » June 3rd, 2016, 8:41 am

I find Haribo horrible!
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 3rd, 2016, 12:11 pm

earthmaiden wrote: am curious, what component of Haribo helps with diarrohea etc? Do they cause constipation in people who are not suffering from problems? I can only think it must be gelatine or whatever they use.

Yes you're right em .... it's the gelatine. I am on a closed fb group for those with colostomies and you can imagine the main topic of conversations ;) It can get very graphic at times :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 3rd, 2016, 12:48 pm

Thanks Pat, I didn't know that before. Not that I eat heaps of gelatine-filled sweets these days (all that sugar!) but there was a time when we had a thing about Haribos at work and ate more than we should have. I do find them a bit moreish, as do most people I know!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Luca » June 3rd, 2016, 8:18 pm

They are very moreish (Haribo) and one of the few things that if I buy I chomp through in one sitting! :oops: I cannot stand the advert though....... Drives me nuts!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » June 3rd, 2016, 10:09 pm

I have just finished a pack of Goldbären. We brought them back from the Mosel last month.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 11th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Knowing how much a friend of mine loves marshmallows, I have resurrected this thread and have also borrowed 'Mmm...marshmallows' by Carol Hilker from the library. I will be making her some for Christmas.

This book contains a base recipe which contains gelatine and also a vegan version which does not. The vegan recipe calls for soy protein isolate, Vege Gel and guar gum. For the sake of cutting costs I am tempted to make the non vegan version for my friend, but out of interest and for future reference, has anyone made vegan marshmallows and were they a success?

The original link posted by PP suggests they might not work very well.

What are your favourite marshmallow flavours please? This book has a rather delicious looking roasted pineapple recipe. :chops: I am waiting to hear my friend's flavour of choice from the index page. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2018, 4:26 pm

I have eaten a commercial vegan marshmallow - no overly impressed but it was OK

The problem is that agar (vege gel) doesn't have the requisite bounce - set liquid fairly firm with agar and you can actually crumble the set jelly. Whereas a gelatine jelly wobbles and flops an finally shears, which is what you want in a marshmallow
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen