[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Browning meat.

Browning meat.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Browning meat.

Postby Gruney » November 22nd, 2016, 4:30 pm

I have an American Slow Cooker recipe book. It states that it is not worth the trouble of browning meat for stews etc. before putting into the SC - their view is that the difference in the final flavour is minimal, and why create a bit of unnecessary washing up. It does, in fairness, say mince should be browned, to keep the bits separate. I have always browned meat, and vegetables before slow cooking - have I been wasting my time? I can't believe I have.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Browning meat.

Postby WWordsworth » November 22nd, 2016, 4:47 pm

I thought the caramelisation was supposed to add flavour.
I always do it too,
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 22nd, 2016, 4:50 pm

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I don't think it adds flavour particularly but it does improve the look of the finished dish.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2016, 5:38 pm

I always brown mince and meat for casseroles and stews - I did try without browning once or twice, but didn't like the look of it or the colour of the resulting 'gravy'. I think it would only work if you're going to use things like Oxo cubes or Bisto to colour the dish. I usually coat the meat in seasoned flour then brown it before putting in the casserole or slow cooker - that way the flour thickens the sauce and helps the caramelised onions to give it colour.

As for making more washing up ... I would always fry the onions until they're caramelised on the edges at least, and then use the same pan to brown the meat so there's no more washing up than you'd have anyway.

I can't imagine what you'd get if you added raw onions to a casserole - sounds yucky to me.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » November 22nd, 2016, 5:43 pm

I have done it both ways, and frankly, the difference is minimal. It all depends on how much prep time you have.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 22nd, 2016, 5:58 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2016, 6:08 pm

I don't use the book that came with the slow cooker for recipes - I use my own recipes, just the same as if I was making a casserole in the oven - the only difference is that I use the book to give me guidance on how much liquid to add - but once you've done it a few times it comes naturally.

I couldn't tell you where the slow cooker recipe book is now - probably in the back of a drawer in the house before last :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 22nd, 2016, 6:16 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2016, 6:41 pm

Isn't it a bit shiny for that? ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 22nd, 2016, 6:46 pm

:lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » November 23rd, 2016, 7:06 am

I use raw onion when making stews in my slow cooker. I slice the onions, and put in the bottom, before adding the meat. I also add a sliced raw onion when 'roasting' a chicken in the sc, I put the chicken onto the onions.
I find that the onions soften, and 'melt' into the sauce.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 23rd, 2016, 10:34 am

We usually brown meat and onions when stewing. I always think it tastes richer, and there would appear to be a scientific reason for this:
http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/03/the ... -reaction/
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby cooksalot » November 23rd, 2016, 11:18 am

I think browning meat generally gives a better flavour and colour. However, if there is a lot of flavour in the sauce, curry, rich tomato, that sort of thing, I'm not sure it's always necessary. Quite time-consuming too!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 23rd, 2016, 1:00 pm

Quite a lot of SE Asian food doesn't require browning of the ingredients - Thai or Burmese chicken or meat curry for example and even if the onions / garlic are fried initially, it is often to flavour the oil more than to brown them

I think that in that region the softer texture of chicken (or seafood) cooked in the sauce and not fried is often preferred,
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 23rd, 2016, 2:23 pm

As Sue mentions, sometimes it`s not necessary,or even not desired, to brown the meat first. I make a classic recipe for chicken korma where EVERYTHING is white. The onions, the cashew nuts, the spices, the cream, all contribute to a white sauce. Browning the chicken would not achieve this.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 23rd, 2016, 9:09 pm

My mum uses her slow cooker a lot and used to always brow the meat first until she read that it makes little difference with the slow cooker. She decided to try the meat and just throwing the whole lot of ingredients together not browning but was rather sceptical. She found it made little or no difference so doesn't bother now. I think she does for casseroles on the hob though
Catherine
Registered

Return to The Kitchen