[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Gammon or Ham.

Gammon or Ham.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Gammon or Ham.

Postby Gruney » November 29th, 2016, 6:30 pm

I know - or at least I think I do - that gammon is raw meat, and ham is cooked. I have been given to understand that that's the convention in the UK.

Does this apply to the US? I ask because I've seen quite a number of American Slow Cooker recipes recently that call for an amount of "ham" as an initial ingredient. I can't believe this would be already cooked.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Gammon or Ham.

Postby EmWilk » November 29th, 2016, 6:47 pm

I always thought that ham was on the bone and gammon off... and that was the difference. Although I could be wrong and would be interested to know so will keep an eye on this...
EmWilk
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2016, 6:53 pm

I've always understood the same as Gruney - and this bears it out

"Gammon is the name given to the meat from the hind legs of a pig that has been cured in the same way as bacon. The main difference between gammon and ham is that gammon will be sold raw and needs to be cooked; ham is sold cooked or dry-cured and ready for eating. Once gammon is cooked it can be called a ham and may be sold as a gammon ham."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/gammon

What they say on the other side of the Atlantic may be totally different .............. ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2016, 7:05 pm

The ham is the hind leg of a pig up into the rump
Strictly speaking, what we call "ham" is cured ham, raw or cooked makes no difference, so yes Americans are cooking a raw cured pig leg joint, the term is the same in both countries
Think of Parma and Serrano, hams eaten cured but raw
A whole raw ham

Bacon is the side part of the pig, mainly the ribs and) is usually cured using a different salt mixture to ham intended for booing,
hence the stronger flavour of bacon; the gammon (again strictly speaking) is the part of the rump that is cured attached to the side of bacon if the ham is not taken off first, and then separated after curing; a bacon joint is any other joint put through the bacon cure I suspect the gammon is removed before curing these days for ease of handling

In practice, I think many Brits don't distinguish between a gammon joint and a bacon joint from the collar, which is my personal preference for cooking at home and serving hot
Gammon

A map of the pig, showing where all the bacon comes from they have decided not to take the ham

So for slow cooker recipes raw ham and gammon are interchangeable, though the ham may be a milder cure
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2016, 7:22 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 29th, 2016, 7:25 pm

Frankly, so long as it finds its way to my tummy, I don't care what it's called! :D :hungry: :hungry: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 29th, 2016, 7:29 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2016, 7:50 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 29th, 2016, 11:35 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 30th, 2016, 8:24 am

Not sure we've really answered the question have we Gruney? Us Wildies are grand masters at going off on a tangent. :)

I think, if it were me, I'd assume uncooked but, depending on the recipe, it might not matter too much.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2016, 9:21 am

I have never heard my friends in the US use the word 'gammon'. They are ham lovers and use the term for the meat served both hot and cold. I think that as Sue says, it is a term used for a cured joint.

Personally I cannot imagine chopping up uncooked gammon for the slow cooker as it is usually considered to be something special but it might just be me as I am not very fond of it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2016, 10:21 am

This is interesting ...

"Bacon, Ham, Gammon – what’s the difference?

All are cured meats, which means they are prepared using salt or brine and all can be smoked. So what’s the difference?

Gammon comes from an old French word, Gambe, which means the hind leg. Originally Gammon was the term used when the meat from the hind leg was cut into joints after the whole carcass has been brined or smoked, while Ham referred to meat which had been cut first and brined or smoked afterwards.

Nowadays the term Gammon is only used for meat cut from the hind leg, regardless of how it was prepared. While a ham can be cut from the hind leg it can also be from other parts of the carcass, so it’s just a slightly less specific term.

Bacon is meat cut from parts of the pig other than the legs, such as the loin, collar or the belly.

extract from http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/info ... acon-cuts/

However, as I said ... that doesn't tell us what Americans mean by any of the terms :)

Where's NurseMimi?
suffolk
Registered

Postby nursemimi » December 1st, 2016, 2:05 pm

Hello a ham is a cured and possible smoked hind quarter of the pig.
you can buy it here either raw or slices or chunks that are already cooked.
Gammon is not a term I have ever heard used over here.
Hope that helps :wave: :wave: :wave:

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 1st, 2016, 4:51 pm

Thank you nursemimi.
Gruney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen