[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Rhubarb.

Rhubarb.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Rhubarb.

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 5:14 pm

rhubarb pie question: do I need to precook the rhubarb? And if so any recommendations as to how? I always seem to add too much water and it becomes a mush.

My intention was to make a bottomless/bottom crust free one i.e. just a pastry lid.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 21st, 2020, 5:19 pm

I never precook the rhubarb. Cut into chunks, add sugar to taste and the juice of an orange or a couple of tablespoons of water. Put crumble or pastry on top
Voila

I sometimes add a soupçon of chopped crystallised ginger as well or instead of the orange juice.

Enjoy :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 21st, 2020, 5:29 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 5:29 pm

Great. Thanks!
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » March 21st, 2020, 10:51 pm

I tend not to pre-cook either,, but if I have to, I roast the rhubarb with sugar and orange juice. Not for very long though, I like texture.
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 11:12 pm

I almost precooked it anyway, as it was so tart that I was worried I might not get the sugar quanitites right. But in the end it went in raw. It's very nice :D A subtly different flavour from bought rhubarb pie. Tastes a bit different from my usual homegrown stewed rhubarb, as well. I am fairly sure I didn't include any leaves ;)

Some of it was forced - first year I've done this. Perhaps that changed the flavour a bit.

Will have to wait a bit before I pick any more, now. Don't want to over do it. Last year, I didn't pick enough, and it went all stringy. The forced rhubarb is so beautiful.
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen