Waffles

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Waffles

Postby earthmaiden » March 15th, 2017, 1:20 pm

I bought an inexpensive waffle maker on a whim the other day. I have seen several recipes lately which sounded interesting and which would tie in with my Slimming World efforts as well (unsurprisingly, the traditional waffle recipe does not!).

I realised after making the first one, using what seemed to be a standard recipe, that I had no idea what a waffle should be like, I don't think I have had one, even in the USA. I had thought they would be light and fluffy but weren't quite as light and fluffy as I had imagined and didn't taste very interesting. It's clearly the toppings which improve them, the more fatty and gooey the better :rolleyes:.

I thought savoury ones would be great and have tried adding grated cheese which wasn't bad - and making eggy bread, as recommended in the recipe book. Neither had me wanting more.

Do any of you make waffles which are yummy? I haven't tried making potato ones yet. I own up to not using the large amount of melted butter suggested but have added some oil.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Waffles

Postby scullion » March 15th, 2017, 3:19 pm

i'm assuming that these are the ones the shape of small dunlopillow mattresses - with a grid of ridges and dips - belgian waffles? in which case, no, i've only ever bought those as potato ones for the freezer.
on the other hand i luuuuuuuv stroopwafel and bought an iron to make them ages ago but haven't got round to it yet. i just end up buying them in lidl.

ps. i have the feeling that i may have one of the belgian waffle irons in the back of a cupboard - an unused impulse buy from quite a few years ago.
scullion
Registered

Postby smitch » March 15th, 2017, 3:40 pm

We got a waffle maker for a wedding present and love it. This is the recipe we use, I normally half it http://www.food.com/recipe/the-bestest-belgian-waffles-63071
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » March 15th, 2017, 4:01 pm

maybe i should go and excavate in the cupboard, sometime.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 15th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Thanks Smitch - that's the second recipe I've seen where the egg whites are beaten first, all the others don't stipulate that. I think it'd make quite a difference. I shall try it next time.

Mmmm yes, stroopwafel :chops:. I've only had the ones sold in packets in supermarkets but they're very nice!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 15th, 2017, 8:34 pm

I used to buy very nice Belgian waffles from Sainsbury, to reheat in the toaster, quite nice

I have always thought of waffles as not very exciting until you add something, as with stroopwafel (which I don't really like)

Watching various bits of TV it seems chicken waffles are the fashion over the pond
Can't say it appeals to me, but Ree's recipes usually work

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/chicken-and-waffles
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 15th, 2017, 9:34 pm

I don't really fancy the chicken either. I feel sure that if one gets it right, the addition of things to the waffle before they are cooked would be very tasty. The ones I have made so far have been heavier than I expected - looking forward to trying the beaten egg whites.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » March 15th, 2017, 9:51 pm

I was intending to try a few different recipes but we liked the one I posted above so we've stuck with it. I've added spices to the batter a few times and I've intended to try it with blueberries in but haven't got around to it yet. I found it took a few tries to get the amount of batter to put in the machine right though. You need enough to cover the 'dimples' but not so much it all puffs up and pours out the sides.
smitch
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 15th, 2017, 11:54 pm

I've tried them a couple of times and have to say I really don't like them. I regard them much the same as crumpets and pancakes.

I remember it used to be my mums favourite pudding back in the days of the Berni Inn. I think they called it topical island or paradise? I so wanted to like it because I thought it looked pretty and wanted to be like my mum, but the waffle bit was nasty IMO
Last edited by Catherine on March 16th, 2017, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby scullion » March 16th, 2017, 12:07 am

would a soufflé recipe work in the waffle iron - just a thought - maybe worth an experiment?
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main ... ee-cheeses - looks like it could be a contender.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2017, 9:41 am

Don't know. With the waffle maker the mixture has to be fairly thick, the proportion of flour is higher than many batters IMO. The waffles are cooked with the iron turned on its side and any excess mixture drips out so you don't want it too runny or it all drips out. It's ages since I made a souffle and I can't remember how dense the mixture is, it might be fun to try, though I think I'd rather have a souffle :chops: .

Catherine wrote:I've tried them a couple of times and have to say I really don't like them. I regard them much the same as crumpets and pancakes.

I'm quite heartened to hear you say that! I love crumpets and thin crepes but these are like thick American-style pancakes and I am not overly keen on the latter at all, they always give me indigestion and seem very stodgy. That's why I like the sound of the lighter ones, some pictures you see show light and fluffy looking concoctions which look delicious. After SW tomorrow I shall try again :)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 16th, 2017, 9:48 am

There's a restaurant in Norwich called The Waffle House - I think it's been there 40 plus years - it's very popular, especially with the students and families - their menu might give you some ideas http://www.wafflehousenorwich.co.uk/
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 16th, 2017, 11:03 am

Y think one of the things that puts me off waffles is that as in the chicken recipe I linked to, they are nearly always flavoured with sugar and vanilla even when served with savoury toppings :sprout: but you can avoid that when making your own
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 16th, 2017, 11:11 am

I don't think I have ever had waffles, I have tended to choose something else on the menu when they are available. I don't really like pancakes so have assumed, maybe erroneously, that I wouldn't like them.

Maybe I should give them a try at some point.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 16th, 2017, 11:11 am

I`ve just found these on another forum I contribute to. Just a few ideas!
1) Scallion. Bacon & cheese. Potato with sausage gravy. Sun dried tomato, basil and oregano. Mozzarella , tomato and basil. Smoked salmon, onion and capers with a sour cream batter.
2) Falafel waffles! Spicy buttermilk fried chicken on waffles with Tabasco honey. Pizza waffles.
3) Roasted red peppers with eggplant. Artichoke, sage and bacon. Sweetcorn, green chiles and cream cheese. Sundried tomato, garlic, anchovy and black olives. Onion, black olive and anchovy ( Pissaladière style). Roasted eggplant with cumin and coconut.
4) Use a cornbread dressing as a base for waffle then top with roasted turkey and cranberry sauce or cranberry aioli.
5) we made the waffles with leftover stuffing. Top it with whatever you want.
6) -Chinese sausage, kimchi-Ginger, scallion-wild mushroom, goat cheese...
7) I like to make a regular buttermilk waffle recipe and add dried herbs (garlic, rosemary, thyme) and finely shredded cheese – I like a smoked cheese best. Have you heard of chipped beef in a béchamel sauce and served over a savory waffle – is how I like to serve them.
8)WHITE BEAN WAFFLE
31 ounces Bush’s Best® Great Northern Beans
1 cup Chicken Stock
¾ tsp Ground Sage, dry
3 cups Milk, whole, warm (110°F)
1 (.25 oz) pkg Active Dry Yeast
4 cups AP Flour
½ cup Sugar
2 tsp Kosher Salt
3 each Egg Yolks
¾ cup Butter, melted, cooled slightly
3 each Egg Whites
As needed Non-Stick Spray
Bacon, thick, cooked, crumbled ¾ cup
3 Tbsp Sage, fresh, minced

CAYENNE PEPPER INFUSED MAPLE SYRUP
Pure Maple Syrup 1 ½ cups
Ground Cayenne Pepper, dry ½ tsp

CHICKEN APPLE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
Butter 1 Tbsp
Yellow Onion, finely diced ½ cup
Boneless Chicken Thighs 1 lb
Pork Back Fat ½ lb
Kosher Salt 1 ½ tsp
Dark Brown Sugar 2 tsp
Ground Sage, dry ½ tsp
Nutmeg, freshly grated ¼ tsp
Ground Coriander, dry ¼ tsp
Black Pepper, freshly ground 1 tsp
Fuji Apple, peeled, cored, grated ½ cup
Cold Water ¼ cup

WAFFLES
1. Drain and rinse the beans. In a small saucepan, add beans, ground sage and chicken stock. Bring beans to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. 2. Remove from heat and allow beans to cool to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, combine ¼ cup warm milk and yeast. Whisk until dissolved.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and 1 ½ tsp salt.
5. In Food processor, add the cooled beans and their cooking liquid and pulse to purée. Add egg yolks, melted butter, ¼ cup warm milk and ½ tsp salt. Purée until smooth.
6. Add bean purée to yeast mixture. Stir in the remaining 2 ½ cups milk alternately with the flour mixture, ending with the flour mixture.
7. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks; fold into the batter.
8. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
9. Preheat 7 inch Belgian style waffle maker to high heat, coat with non-stick spray and pour heaping 6 oz. ladle of waffle batter onto the bottom cook plate and spread batter with bottom of ladle. Sprinkle top evenly with 1 Tbsp crumbled bacon and 1 tsp fresh sage.
10. Close lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
CAYENNE PEPPER INFUSED MAPLE SYRUP
1. In medium bowl, combine syrup and cayenne pepper.Heat and reserve warm.
CHICKEN APPLE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and slowly caramelize, about 5 to 8 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
2. Cut boneless thighs into 1” cubes and pork fat into ½ “ cubes. Keep well chilled.
3. In a large bowl, combine chicken, pork fat, and all dry seasonings. Grind mixture in batches beginning with medium-sized die then repeat grinding process through smaller die attachment, keeping all ingredients and equipment well chilled. Return mixture to bowl.
4. Add caramelized onions, grated apple and cold water to ground mixture. Mix the sausage by hand, kneading until everything is well blended. (Form small patty and cook in small skillet until done. Taste and adjust salt, pepper and sugar as needed.)
5. Portion sausage mixture into 1 oz. (heaping #60 scoop) equal size patties, roll in hand and press to form into ½ in thick patty.
6. Cook patties on a lightly oiled preheated flat-top griddle for 45 seconds to 1 minute per side, or until cooked through.
Assembly: Plate 1 warm waffle, 2 warm chicken sausage patties, and drizzle with 1 oz. ladle of cayenne pepper syrup.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » March 16th, 2017, 12:10 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:2) Falafel waffles!

isn't that the volcano that went up in iceland a few years ago?
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Goodness Karadekoolaid! Those ideas will last a lifetime! Some are quite interesting. Thank you.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Smitch - I tried your recipe and it's spot on! The whipped egg whites make all the difference. Thank you so much, I can see why people like waffles now!

After the comment from Sue, I added vanilla to half of the mixture and that was a hit as well. I can actually see how a sweet vanilla mixture could work with savoury toppings too, odd as it may seem. My figure will only allow me to experiment once every week or so but next time I may experiment with beans or potatoes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » March 17th, 2017, 3:17 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Smitch - I tried your recipe and it's spot on! The whipped egg whites make all the difference. Thank you so much, I can see why people like waffles now!

After the comment from Sue, I added vanilla to half of the mixture and that was a hit as well. I can actually see how a sweet vanilla mixture could work with savoury toppings too, odd as it may seem. My figure will only allow me to experiment once every week or so but next time I may experiment with beans or potatoes.

Glad you liked it! I've never added vanilla to mine but think I'll give it a try, sounds good.
smitch
Registered

Postby Peaches_von_Purr » March 17th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Here's a whole website dedicated to other things you can put in your waffle iron! https://www.willitwaffle.com/

I love these overnight yeasted waffles. Not as much of a faff as you'd imagine, especially if you melt the butter in the microwave. We don't put much, if any, sugar in ours. These work really well with added grated cheese too. I won't make mine any other way now. http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-overnight-yeasted-waffles-recipes-from-the-kitchn-199052
Peaches_von_Purr
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2017, 9:23 pm

I now have years of experimentation ahead :). I had wondered what the yeasted ones were like so that's a good recommendation.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 19th, 2017, 3:04 pm

I have three waffle recipes on my site that I'm inordinately happy with...

One is outrageously decadent chocolate waffle.
One is a potato parmesan paprika one, really not like a regular waffle but making use of the waffle maker...
And the other is a classic waffle but with Marmite added, works best with eggs and bacon in my opinion.

Here:
https://www.kaveyeats.com/tag/waffle
(scroll down to see all 3)
Kavey
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 19th, 2017, 3:44 pm

Mmmm! Not sure about the chocolate one (not a huge chocolate brownie fan) but the others look very good! So looking forward to Waffle Friday each week now :)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Kavey » March 23rd, 2017, 10:02 am

They are very chocolate so probably best to skip that one then!
Hope you like the other two.
Kavey
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 24th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Waffle Day again! Today I tried potato waffles using the recipe from the waffle maker recipe booklet (with a few tweaks). They were very light and fluffy. I tried half the mixture as it was and half with strong grated cheese added - the latter was a winner! I would definitely make them again.

This is the recipe, I halved it. When I do it again I will quarter it unless I want leftover waffles (which by the way, when eaten cold were rather nice!).
225g plain flour
1 tblsp baking powder (sounded a lot but wasn't nasty)
250g mashed potato (I used Smash :oops: )
200ml milk (extra may be needed but I didn't need more)
50g melted butter
6 egg whites

I added the egg yolks, salt and pepper and some garlic powder to my basic mixture. I used a glug of olive oil as I didn't have butter.

Mix the flour & baking powder.
In separate bowl whisk together the potato, milk and butter (and egg yolks if using). Fold in the flour mixture. Add a handful or two of grated cheese if using.
Switch on the waffle maker.
Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the potato mixture.
Prepare the waffle maker as usual and add a ladle of mixture. Cook as usual.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen