When is a pie not a pie ?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

When is a pie not a pie ?

Postby Ratatouille » March 24th, 2017, 10:27 am

I had to laught when I saw this earlier in the week:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/mary ... y-10065530

last night I made what Mum called pot pies containing chicken, mushrooms and leeks. They are made in individual deep pie dishes (which I inherited) and have a pastry top.

The steak and kidnet pie I made on Sunday only had a top, the pastry being held up by a pie funnel.

In the NE there are "Plate pies" which are, unsurprisingly made on a plate and have pastry top and bottom. Corned beef, ham and egg savoury mince and potato - :drool:

Do you have an opinion?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: When is a pie not a pie ?

Postby Suelle » March 24th, 2017, 11:20 am

Just a pastry top is enough to make something a pie, IMO.

A pastry bottom, while nice if it remains crisp, isn't necessary. If the filling has any kind of sauce or gravy which makes a liquid filling, the chances are that a bottom layer of pastry will be soggy, even if pre-baked.

A pastry bottom, and no top, makes a tart, of course, but there are loads of things that fall into the grey area - eg pies with mashed potato topping, lemon meringue pie (is it a tart?).
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » March 24th, 2017, 11:27 am

I saw that and also thought "it's a pot pies, so what?"

The "Bolognese" was awful but it seems to be open season on Mary Berry, which isn't fair
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 24th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Wasn`t there a restaurant in Covent Garden called " The Pie Factory"? I seem to remember eating Chicken & Leek pies there which only had a pastry top.
On the other hand, my mum made lemon meringue pies which only had a pastry bottom.
Personally, I`d consider anything with a pastry topping a pie. If it`s also got pastry on the bottom, fine.
Poor Mary Berry is getting a lot of stick lately. Can we expect Steak & Kiddly Pie with buffalo steak?? 8-) 8-)
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 24th, 2017, 1:04 pm

What I hate is when something is called a pie when it is a casserole topped with a piece of separately cooked pastry :x

To me a pie needs to have the topping cooked with it don't mind if is pastry or mashed potato :)

My favourite plate pie is a good old fashioned Scottish mince "round" - just mince and onion cooked in very thick gravy in the middle of two rounds of puff pastry. Hard to beat and makes a little mince go a long way
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 24th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I think the only reason for making individual savoury pies with pastry top and bottom is to enable them to be eaten at half time !!

I think poor Mary is being very unfairly treated too. It is funny the way so much of the media is encouraging people to get their knickers in a twist though.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 24th, 2017, 2:44 pm

All that free publicity :lol:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 24th, 2017, 8:36 pm

The old pie thing gets a bit tedious doesn't it! People just have to accept that there are no rules, except I think that in the UK it has to be something with a top which is different from the filling but which are cooked together -whether it be pastry, potato or meringue. In the US it changes again because there a tart is a pie.

If someone asked me to describe the first thing that came to mind when I heard the word pie, it would be a steaming slice of a meat pie with a shortcrust pastry top and bottom on a dinner plate with greens and potatoes and a lot of very nice gravy.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 25th, 2017, 12:40 pm

I just saw Mary make her pie
She used a traditional deep pie dish with a traditional pie funnel

If that's not a traditional way of making a pie, why is that the traditional equipment?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 25th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Thta's exactly what Mr rats asked,
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 25th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Ditto - absolutely right!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2017, 8:30 am

Some people have nothing better to do than to try to cause controversy :rolleyes:
What's worse is that some people do it for a living :shock:
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 26th, 2017, 8:47 am

suffolk wrote:Some people have nothing better to do than to try to cause controversy :rolleyes:
What's worse is that some people do it for a living :shock:

On the other hand, Mary Berry's sticky toffee pudding wasn't one, in the traditional sense! No dates, but no-one's mentioned that. :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » March 26th, 2017, 8:34 pm

I suppose it is important to know what you`re eating; therefore the correct description of a dish usually does matter. For example, if I ordered fettucine alla carbonara, I would expect a creamy texture ( from the egg) and some bacon. I would NOT expect a pile of mushrooms, cream and chicken. Same with a Cornish Pastie. I would not expect it to be filled with meat, potato, cheese, almonds and aubergines.
However, a "pie" is such a generic term, I utterly fail to understand what all the fuss is about! What is more important; faffing about a pastry lid, or a pastry bottom - or whether it TASTES good?
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 27th, 2017, 2:18 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:What is more important; faffing about a pastry lid, or a pastry bottom - or whether it TASTES good?

Very good point!
cooksalot
Registered

Return to The Kitchen