When is a pie not a pie ?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

When is a pie not a pie ?

Postby Ratatouille » March 24th, 2017, 10:27 am

I had to laught when I saw this earlier in the week:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/mary ... y-10065530

last night I made what Mum called pot pies containing chicken, mushrooms and leeks. They are made in individual deep pie dishes (which I inherited) and have a pastry top.

The steak and kidnet pie I made on Sunday only had a top, the pastry being held up by a pie funnel.

In the NE there are "Plate pies" which are, unsurprisingly made on a plate and have pastry top and bottom. Corned beef, ham and egg savoury mince and potato - :drool:

Do you have an opinion?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: When is a pie not a pie ?

Postby Suelle » March 24th, 2017, 11:20 am

Just a pastry top is enough to make something a pie, IMO.

A pastry bottom, while nice if it remains crisp, isn't necessary. If the filling has any kind of sauce or gravy which makes a liquid filling, the chances are that a bottom layer of pastry will be soggy, even if pre-baked.

A pastry bottom, and no top, makes a tart, of course, but there are loads of things that fall into the grey area - eg pies with mashed potato topping, lemon meringue pie (is it a tart?).
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » March 24th, 2017, 11:27 am

I saw that and also thought "it's a pot pies, so what?"

The "Bolognese" was awful but it seems to be open season on Mary Berry, which isn't fair
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 24th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Wasn`t there a restaurant in Covent Garden called " The Pie Factory"? I seem to remember eating Chicken & Leek pies there which only had a pastry top.
On the other hand, my mum made lemon meringue pies which only had a pastry bottom.
Personally, I`d consider anything with a pastry topping a pie. If it`s also got pastry on the bottom, fine.
Poor Mary Berry is getting a lot of stick lately. Can we expect Steak & Kiddly Pie with buffalo steak?? 8-) 8-)
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 24th, 2017, 1:04 pm

What I hate is when something is called a pie when it is a casserole topped with a piece of separately cooked pastry :x

To me a pie needs to have the topping cooked with it don't mind if is pastry or mashed potato :)

My favourite plate pie is a good old fashioned Scottish mince "round" - just mince and onion cooked in very thick gravy in the middle of two rounds of puff pastry. Hard to beat and makes a little mince go a long way
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 24th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I think the only reason for making individual savoury pies with pastry top and bottom is to enable them to be eaten at half time !!

I think poor Mary is being very unfairly treated too. It is funny the way so much of the media is encouraging people to get their knickers in a twist though.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 24th, 2017, 2:44 pm

All that free publicity :lol:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 24th, 2017, 8:36 pm

The old pie thing gets a bit tedious doesn't it! People just have to accept that there are no rules, except I think that in the UK it has to be something with a top which is different from the filling but which are cooked together -whether it be pastry, potato or meringue. In the US it changes again because there a tart is a pie.

If someone asked me to describe the first thing that came to mind when I heard the word pie, it would be a steaming slice of a meat pie with a shortcrust pastry top and bottom on a dinner plate with greens and potatoes and a lot of very nice gravy.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 25th, 2017, 12:40 pm

I just saw Mary make her pie
She used a traditional deep pie dish with a traditional pie funnel

If that's not a traditional way of making a pie, why is that the traditional equipment?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 25th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Thta's exactly what Mr rats asked,
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 25th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Ditto - absolutely right!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2017, 8:30 am

Some people have nothing better to do than to try to cause controversy :rolleyes:
What's worse is that some people do it for a living :shock:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 26th, 2017, 8:47 am

suffolk wrote:Some people have nothing better to do than to try to cause controversy :rolleyes:
What's worse is that some people do it for a living :shock:

On the other hand, Mary Berry's sticky toffee pudding wasn't one, in the traditional sense! No dates, but no-one's mentioned that. :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » March 26th, 2017, 8:34 pm

I suppose it is important to know what you`re eating; therefore the correct description of a dish usually does matter. For example, if I ordered fettucine alla carbonara, I would expect a creamy texture ( from the egg) and some bacon. I would NOT expect a pile of mushrooms, cream and chicken. Same with a Cornish Pastie. I would not expect it to be filled with meat, potato, cheese, almonds and aubergines.
However, a "pie" is such a generic term, I utterly fail to understand what all the fuss is about! What is more important; faffing about a pastry lid, or a pastry bottom - or whether it TASTES good?
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 27th, 2017, 2:18 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:What is more important; faffing about a pastry lid, or a pastry bottom - or whether it TASTES good?

Very good point!
cooksalot
Registered

Return to The Kitchen