What do you do with mushy peas?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

What do you do with mushy peas?

Postby TezzaBear » March 24th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Other than just eat them cold out of the tin on a slab of bread, which I have done many times. :lol:
If you eat them, do you make them from scratch, as in cooking those dried peas until soft?
What do you serve with them?
I fancy heating a small tin up with a small tin of salmon.
Do you put any condiments on them?
I now have an urge to make brown sauce to stick some on them. Yes, something vinegary to cut through the stodge. :chops:
I think I read another thread earlier where it was mentioned people have them with gammon. I can imagine that would work well with a slice of pineapple.
I currently have a cupboard full of mushy peas in tins hence asking for some new ideas.
Thanks folks.
:tu:
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Re: What do you do with mushy peas?

Postby suffolk » March 24th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Heat them up and stir a knob of butter into them - as you say, good with fish and gammon. Very good with fishcakes and chips.

... or .... Mushy Pea Fritters http://www.comfortbites.co.uk/2014/07/p ... e-pea.html Food of the Gods :chops:
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 24th, 2017, 7:21 pm

I used to make them from scratch - I still do, very very occasionally, if I get a hock of smoked bacon and then I cook the peas with it and make proper Suffolk Pea Soup like my late ex MIl used to make.
You can take some of the peas out of the 'soup' (which is actually a very thick stew) and turn them into mushy peas to eat later.
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 24th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Oh I do like a "mushy" pea :D Mainly with gammon or fish here though they do make a tasty "curry" http://slimmingworldrecipeshare.blogspo ... -free.html which I like with a dollop of yoghurt and pitta or naan bread. Any leftover curry also makes a nice soup blended with some stock and a little yoghurt or milk or coconut milk
liketocook
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » March 24th, 2017, 7:56 pm

I forgot about mushy pea fritter! They are sooo good!
So that is one on the list. Can't wait!
Will check out the other links in a mo once I have eaten my mushy peas!
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 24th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Nothing. I think they are revolting :)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Luca » March 24th, 2017, 8:07 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Nothing. I think they are revolting :)

I tried once.......... after having been encouraged online. No thanks. Never. All the more for the aficionados! Having said that if it was served to me freshly cooked I'd certainly eat some to see if my views changed. I suspect there is a huge difference between tinned and home-made. I won't be doing either but if served in a restaurant or cooked by friends I'd give it a shot willingly.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » March 24th, 2017, 8:10 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Nothing. I think they are revolting :)

True. But free on Slimming World . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Luca » March 24th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Why free (I take it you mean unlimited?) on Slimming World? The fibre/carb etc?
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » March 24th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:True. But free on Slimming World . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I haven't become that desperate yet ;). Any dish involving marrowfat peas and a ham bone would be my food hell choice on Saturday Kitchen.

Sorry Tezza, I am not being helpful. I am sure you will enjoy your cupboard full. :hug:

Luca - SW works by having 4 categories of food. One is a selection of fruit & veg called speed food which you should eat loads of, as much as you like. The second is called free food which you can eat as much as you like of but if you eat too much your weight loss will be slower - it includes meat, potatoes legumes, rice and dried pasta and somehow it works, probably because they are things you don't want too much of without a nice sauce or something. The third is a controlled amount of fibre and dairy per day and the fourth is everything else which has a points system which you should not exceed. So, theoretically you can freely eat your own body weight in potatoes every day - but don't :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 24th, 2017, 8:36 pm

I loathed them for years
Then I went to Whitby with a local, and was taught to eat them with vinegar or mint sauce as an accompaniment to fish and chips.
Never be a great favourite but if they come with the f&c then I eat them, local chippie usually give me a pot
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » March 24th, 2017, 9:34 pm

My local used to give me a free pot with chips. The Happy Plaice. I hope they are still going strong. Nothing like a few chips with a blob of mushy peas on the side and ketchup on a Friday after work. The smell from the van would draw you to them, then home, pop them in the oven with the plate on gentle heat to keep warm while you buttered your bread and put something like Master Chef on.
Dribble dribble at the thought.
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby Luca » March 25th, 2017, 8:32 am

Thanks EM. I'm duly enlightened! However I won't be going out of my way to eat mushy peas! :lol: However I hope you enjoy them Tezza.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Badger's mate » March 25th, 2017, 9:06 am

They seem to have taken over from pease pudding, which would have been the equivalent in parts of London when I was growing up.

I don't dislike them. Not so keen on the dramatic shade of yellow they produce in urine :shock: Much shop-bought piccalilli has a similar effect for the same reasons.

I really must make some pease pudding. :chops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » March 25th, 2017, 9:42 am

Ooh love Pease Pudding! Mixed with salad cream makes a lovely sandwich filling. :chops:
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 25th, 2017, 10:27 am

suffolk wrote:I used to make them from scratch - I still do, very very occasionally, if I get a hock of smoked bacon and then I cook the peas with it and make proper Suffolk Pea Soup like my late ex MIl used to make.

:chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops:

I sometimes make mushy peas from scratch too. Usually to accompany home made faggots. Oooh, could just eat a plate now! :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 25th, 2017, 10:20 pm

What do I do with mushy peas?
I have no idea - never consciously eaten them! I`d much rather have fresh, tiny peas.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 26th, 2017, 4:24 pm

They are a different animal Kool......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » March 26th, 2017, 5:21 pm

i have a couple of tins in the cupboard to make a speedy soup, if the need arises.
scullion
Registered

Postby TezzaBear » March 26th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Crack them open as soon as possible scullion. You won't regret it.
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 26th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Tip them straight into the compost bin. Vile things made worse by vinegar, even more horrible.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 26th, 2017, 8:24 pm

They are a different animal Kool......

Evidently, Zosh! Everyone raves about "mushy peas", but I swear I never, ever saw them in Kent or London while I lived there.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » March 27th, 2017, 5:00 pm

TezzaBear wrote:Crack them open as soon as possible scullion. You won't regret it.

I think not! And I would!
If I wanted to eat them as mushy peas there would either be more tins in the cupboard or fewer (having already been eaten).
Fry a couple of onions and a few cloves of garlic, tip in the two tins of pea mush, if you feel the need for herbs bung in those of your choice, add a mushroom stock cube (or that of your own choice) and pepper, thin to the required consistency with water. Wizz with a stick wizzer till smooth.

Better adulterated than not.
Better frozen than mush.
Better mangetout than frozen.
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 27th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Fry a couple of onions and a few cloves of garlic, tip in the two tins of pea mush, if you feel the need for herbs bung in those of your choice, add a mushroom stock cube (or that of your own choice) and pepper, thin to the required consistency with water. Wizz with a stick wizzer till smooth.

Thanks - Sounds good I've a couple of tubs of pease pudding in the freezer that would do nicely for this :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 28th, 2017, 9:15 am

One thing I use them for rarely is an emergency filling for quesadillas. Mix with chopped onion (red or spring are good), mint and coriander. Spread over half of a tortilla wrap. Sprinkle with chilli powder or smoked paprika and cumin. Crumble some cheese over (doesn't matter too much which sort. I use feta and cheddar mixed, or whatever scraps are in the fridge). Fold over the wrap and griddle until melty.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 28th, 2017, 9:49 am

The only time I eat mushy peas is with fish and chips when I'm out, or as a take-away. Not something I would want to eat too often but I never have them at home. OH hates them and always asks for garden peas instead!
cooksalot
Registered

Return to The Kitchen