Fish Skin

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Fish Skin

Postby Gruney » March 29th, 2017, 6:41 pm

I'm trying to go through the gears a bit with fish - I've restricted myself to fillets up to now.

I know you can eat mackerel skin - i've done so. I'm sure - at least I think I am - that the skin of other fishes can be eaten? If I'm right, could someone be kind enough to tell me so - and also, if there are any to avoid, please. Oh - I'm envisaging the fish to be pan fried or roasted.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Fish Skin

Postby Luca » March 29th, 2017, 6:46 pm

I love crispy salmon skin, trout and especially sardine skin. I don't think IVe come across one I didn't like. Enjoy!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » March 29th, 2017, 7:18 pm

I love the gelatinousness of plaice skin ............ but I do like odd textures ......... it's not something that everyone enjoys.

I eat most fish skin :chops: ... (in fact I eat most everything) ... just make sure that if it's a fish that has large scales, they have been removed ... the fishmonger should do it if you ask.
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”― Luciano Pavarotti
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 29th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Thanks both - away we go!
Gruney
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 29th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Fish skin is lovely as long as it is crispy and descaled. If you don't want the skin to be crispy then remove it
Catherine
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 29th, 2017, 7:38 pm

I love fish skin as long as it's crispy but struggle otherwise. I had a fish pie where the skin was crisped then crumbled over the top - it was delicious. In Scotland "fish& chips" always has the skin removed, I was appalled with my first chippie in York in 1982 and the fish had the skin on...... :o
liketocook
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » March 29th, 2017, 8:31 pm

I have never had the fish skin removed for fish and chips here daan sowf - Does the fish not fall apart without it? I wonder if that's a regional thing?!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 29th, 2017, 11:16 pm

You can eat most fish skin. Personally, I prefer it toasted - and attached to the fillet, or steak.
I wouldn`t recommend shark skin, mind you. :scared: :scared: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 30th, 2017, 9:02 am

I like most fish skin as long as it's crispy. Trout skin is fine too, I think when it's been dusted in flour and pan fried.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 30th, 2017, 1:01 pm

I was brought up to eat the skin on fish - and it was always left on fish and chips in our part of Norfolk. Nowadays I remove it unless it is cooked until crispy or covered in batter :). A friend visiting from the USA was horrified when we had fish and chips in a pub in Oxford and the skin had been left on the fish.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 30th, 2017, 7:07 pm

I have never had the fish skin removed for fish and chips here daan sowf - Does the fish not fall apart without it? I wonder if that's a regional thing?!

Yes I think it a Scottish custom, but no it doesn't fall apart :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Lokelani » March 31st, 2017, 2:25 pm

I love fish & chips from Rick Stein's in Padstow when we're down in Cornwall, largely because it never has the skin on! I'd have to pick it apart to take the skin off otherwise, I really don't like it, it tastes fishier somehow! :lol:
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 31st, 2017, 7:13 pm

Well, I made my first roasted whole fish dish - it was brill. Actually, that's a complete lie - it ws sea bream :D Really good.

Thanks for all the advice.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Luca » March 31st, 2017, 11:44 pm

:lol: So glad it was a success.

I met up with an old friend tonight in a quite local pub, along with my sons. We were going to be having a drink or two and then heading home. She is however advising them on some aspects of a 2 year working trip in Canada and one thing lead to another...... We picked up a really delicious fish and chip takeaway from a restaurant near her in Putney and headed to her house next door to continue. 35 years or so since I had a fish and chip takeaway. Delicious fish but I can leave the chips to others! I prefer thin French style.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 1st, 2017, 8:43 am

No way could I have resisted those chips if the fish was that good :chops: .. a marriage made in heaven... having said that Luca, probably the reason why you are built like a whippet and I o look like an old English bull-dog ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Luca » April 1st, 2017, 10:24 pm

The fish was that good Pat. Perfectly cooked. I'm not a huge fan of potatoes - apart from roasties and thin chips occasionally and probably could take them or leave them any time. Unfortunately I'm like a whippet because I cannot put on weight - and believe me that can be as much a problem as the other direction. :)
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » April 2nd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Luca wrote: We picked up a really delicious fish and chip takeaway from a restaurant near her in Putney

Was that from Fishers?
Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » April 2nd, 2017, 6:29 pm

http://www.fishersfishandchips.co.uk/

That's the one Catherine. I shall be going back!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » April 2nd, 2017, 7:43 pm

I friend lives in Putney and it is her monthly Friday night treat
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 4th, 2017, 9:51 am

Fish skin is one of those things the world divides on I think. I love it but OH can't abide it. I always have his (and really look forward to it :D ). Mind you, he likes the skin on custard which sets my teeth on edge. :sprout:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen