Popcorn

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Popcorn

Postby TezzaBear » April 4th, 2017, 5:58 pm

I usually have a couple of bags of the sweet stuff laying around. Sticky toffee if I can get it. Never salted. My old neighbour as a kid gave us cheese flavour! Gross.
So do you use it in cookery in any way? I can't imagine how other than in cereal bars.
Miss my cats...
TezzaBear
Registered

Re: Popcorn

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 4th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Heston did a popcorn ice cream for Waitrose. Was never tempted though, seems like a strange combination.

I imagine popcorn would work quite well in a fridge style cake, like tiffin or something like Rocky Roaf
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 4th, 2017, 8:19 pm

I'm sure I used to like popcorn, but these days I can't stand the smell
Don't p think I've ever had it in a recipe
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 4th, 2017, 10:33 pm

I pop my own and usually just add salt. I think it would be too big for cereal bars but it works as a grain where you might use rice or other grains in savoury dishes. By using different oils for popping (chilli, garlic etc) you can create different subtle flavours as well.

I love toffee coated popcorn but rarely have it - golden syrup on plain popped corn isn't bad for a very sweet treat :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 5th, 2017, 7:38 am

StokeySue wrote:I'm sure I used to like popcorn, but these days I can't stand the smell

Agree, Sue. Its one of the reasons I don't like going to the cinema any more - reeks of popcorn!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby scullion » April 5th, 2017, 9:46 am

i have a popcorn machine that i bought when my kids were small ( a good substitute for an unhealthy snack) but as neither of us care for popcorn i suppose i should pass it on to one of them. we have used it for making packaging for a delicate item sent through the post, popcorn is a very good, biodegradable/edible substitute for polystyrene worms - and i have considered using it to roast coffee beans to a higher level than decaf usually comes in.
if i did ever eat it it would have to be the salted butter variety but as it's on my list of 'a boring, waste of calories' it's unlikely i will.

ps - or maybe i'll keep it for when grandchildren arrive.
pps. it's one of the things we cooked by sun-power at the demonstration event last year.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 5th, 2017, 9:58 am

Anyone remember Polly Popper? You got popping corn and a block of veg oil in a little pack, and made the popcorn in a large lidded saucepan. I did like that, salted, but no longer
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » April 5th, 2017, 1:26 pm

My boys love making it, but then they don't want to eat it! I like it with butter and cinnamon. Mummy ends up eating it all.
Hope
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » April 10th, 2017, 10:52 am

I love salty popcorn - I don't like any of the sweet varieties. I regularly pop a pan-ful to nibble on in front of the telly. The microwaveable bags are really good to have as a standby.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 10th, 2017, 12:49 pm

I heard on a recent radio programme that blitzed popcorn makes a good gluten free coating for chicken and fish.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Kitchen