Felicity's roasted cauliflower

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Felicity's roasted cauliflower

Postby Pepper Pig » April 13th, 2017, 10:16 am

Last edited by Pepper Pig on April 13th, 2017, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Felicity' roasted cauliflower

Postby StokeySue » April 13th, 2017, 10:33 am

I have left a comment
I don't often disagree to this extent with FC, but cauli is IMO better roast in florets to cook the stem parts before the outer layer falls off, and where's the spice? I nearly always use either cumin or fennel seeds then other spices depending on what else is in the meal, in thi,s house it's definitely a dish with a Middle Eastern / North African feel
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Felicity's roasted cauliflower

Postby Zosherooney » April 13th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Don't like the idea of charred cauli.

Have just tried W'rose cauli cheese and had to add some spare brie to give a kick.... thankfully the cauli had a perfect texture.

The w'rose cheddar mash was bland and not cheesy - Mr. Z will have some without noticing.....the non-existent cheese. Hopefully he will eat later....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 13th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Roasted florets as an accompaniment to a dish, I completely get, but a who,e roasted cauliflower as the star of the show just doesn't sound overly appetising to me. Similarly I've seen, I think, it may be Jamie Oliver bake a whole celeriac before as a dish, which again doesn't feel appealing
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 13th, 2017, 9:07 pm

We've had really lovely roasted colly at Morston Hall; cooked as florets. I've also done it cut into thick slices then roasted, an idea I first saw in a Mark Hix recipe (as a base layer for devilled kidneys iirc). I lightly steam or microwave the slices then coat in seasoned flour, lightly fry in butter and finish in the oven.

There's a fairly fine line between brown, burnt & badgered - the photos look well to one side of the scale. :shock:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 13th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote: Similarly I've seen, I think, it may be Jamie Oliver bake a whole celeriac before as a dish, which again doesn't feel appealing

Yes that was Jamie. I think that particular dish he made looks lovely and keep intending to try it on the kids.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege ... bie-brain/
Catherine
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 14th, 2017, 11:49 am

I really want to try the celeriac too, mainly as I hate chopping it!
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 14th, 2017, 12:39 pm

I've tried the celeriac twice and not been quite happy with the results

I think the ideal is to get it so you can cut the inside away from the skin with a spoon, but this takes a lot of cooking, I no longer trust any recipe that says it will cook in less than an hour, which most claim

Jamie's foil wrap method sounds far more plausible to me
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/zombie-brain/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 14th, 2017, 6:12 pm

I can`t say I`ve ever eaten whole, roasted cauliflower. Sounds wonderfully interesting, but I don`t think I`d want to try any of the charred versions in FC`s article. A little bit of charring, I surmise, goes a long way; pass the limit and you`re chomping on anthracite-flavoured mush.
My problem over here is the abundance of bugs. Almost every cauliflower I buy has at least ONE little green caterpillar in it, which is why I prefer to dismember the vegetable and cook it in bits.
And I still swear by a good, rich, cauliflower cheese with a few onion rings on top!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 14th, 2017, 7:58 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:And I still swear by a good, rich, cauliflower cheese with a few onion rings on top!

Now you're talking! I went through a phase of roasting cauliflower. I had been to the Barbican and had lunch when 'Cauliflower Cheese' was on the menu. It was somewhat disappointing to be served roasted cauliflower with a sprinkle of melted cheese over the top but better for the figure at least. I started doing it at home - but then stopped and didn't start again. I don't really like cauliflower with too much crunch and it seems to take an eternity to cook. I was brought up to have cheese or white sauce with cauliflower and have to say haven't found a better way of jazzing it up yet. I don't really find it a very exciting vegetable.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 14th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Clive, this is probably more your thing, Nigella's cauliflower and chickpea salad, this is how I roast cauli for any pupose, just varying the spice
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/warm-spiced-cauliflower-and-chickpea-salad-with-pomegranate-seeds
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 1st, 2019, 12:28 pm

Thought I'd tack this query on here.

This evening we'll be having slow-roasted pheasant with chunks of potato, celeriac, parsnip and onion cooked alongside the pheasants. I'll serve it with a light jus made from the resulting juices and homemade grape and rosemary jelly

I thought I'd like to roast some florets of cauliflower to go with the dish ... so my query is, any ideas for suitable spicing please?

We're also having some peas to add a bit of colour otherwise it'll probably look a bit beige :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 1st, 2019, 5:43 pm

I tend to go for cumin, Nigella or fennel seeds. I also follow Ed Smith’s advice and only add spices halfway through roasting
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 1st, 2019, 6:11 pm

I could have sworn I'd seen some new, nice-looking, roast cauliflower recipes in either the Guardian or the latest BBC Good Food magazine yesterday. I must have dreamt it...

Might (smoked) chilli flakes might work too - even if it adds a non-English note to quite an English sounding meal? The Flavour Thesaurus has little to add to the above in terms of spices. It does comment that cauliflower is 'broccili that can't be bothered'...

You've probably put it in the oven by now anyway...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 1st, 2019, 7:18 pm

A cumin-free Rose harissa and honey added partway through for me, or cinnamon I think would go well with the sweetness of the other ingredients. What did you choose?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 1st, 2019, 8:22 pm

I should’ve asked earlier :lol: as it was I borrowed an idea from Jamie Oliver ... chilli flakes, cumin and lemon zest and juice. Blanched first 3 mins then allow to steam dry before tossing in light olive oil and the dry flavourings, roasting and then a light drizzle of lemon juice. It worked well :)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 1st, 2019, 10:08 pm

Sounds delicious.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 2nd, 2019, 12:11 pm

:chops: :chops: :chops: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 2nd, 2019, 1:55 pm

Sounds great Suffolk, I don't bother to blanch cauli for roasting any more, I find it's not necessary
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen