Felicity's roasted cauliflower

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Felicity's roasted cauliflower

Postby Pepper Pig » April 13th, 2017, 10:16 am

Last edited by Pepper Pig on April 13th, 2017, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Felicity' roasted cauliflower

Postby StokeySue » April 13th, 2017, 10:33 am

I have left a comment
I don't often disagree to this extent with FC, but cauli is IMO better roast in florets to cook the stem parts before the outer layer falls off, and where's the spice? I nearly always use either cumin or fennel seeds then other spices depending on what else is in the meal, in thi,s house it's definitely a dish with a Middle Eastern / North African feel
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Felicity's roasted cauliflower

Postby Zosherooney » April 13th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Don't like the idea of charred cauli.

Have just tried W'rose cauli cheese and had to add some spare brie to give a kick.... thankfully the cauli had a perfect texture.

The w'rose cheddar mash was bland and not cheesy - Mr. Z will have some without noticing.....the non-existent cheese. Hopefully he will eat later....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 13th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Roasted florets as an accompaniment to a dish, I completely get, but a who,e roasted cauliflower as the star of the show just doesn't sound overly appetising to me. Similarly I've seen, I think, it may be Jamie Oliver bake a whole celeriac before as a dish, which again doesn't feel appealing
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 13th, 2017, 9:07 pm

We've had really lovely roasted colly at Morston Hall; cooked as florets. I've also done it cut into thick slices then roasted, an idea I first saw in a Mark Hix recipe (as a base layer for devilled kidneys iirc). I lightly steam or microwave the slices then coat in seasoned flour, lightly fry in butter and finish in the oven.

There's a fairly fine line between brown, burnt & badgered - the photos look well to one side of the scale. :shock:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 13th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote: Similarly I've seen, I think, it may be Jamie Oliver bake a whole celeriac before as a dish, which again doesn't feel appealing

Yes that was Jamie. I think that particular dish he made looks lovely and keep intending to try it on the kids.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege ... bie-brain/
Catherine
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 14th, 2017, 11:49 am

I really want to try the celeriac too, mainly as I hate chopping it!
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 14th, 2017, 12:39 pm

I've tried the celeriac twice and not been quite happy with the results

I think the ideal is to get it so you can cut the inside away from the skin with a spoon, but this takes a lot of cooking, I no longer trust any recipe that says it will cook in less than an hour, which most claim

Jamie's foil wrap method sounds far more plausible to me
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/zombie-brain/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 14th, 2017, 6:12 pm

I can`t say I`ve ever eaten whole, roasted cauliflower. Sounds wonderfully interesting, but I don`t think I`d want to try any of the charred versions in FC`s article. A little bit of charring, I surmise, goes a long way; pass the limit and you`re chomping on anthracite-flavoured mush.
My problem over here is the abundance of bugs. Almost every cauliflower I buy has at least ONE little green caterpillar in it, which is why I prefer to dismember the vegetable and cook it in bits.
And I still swear by a good, rich, cauliflower cheese with a few onion rings on top!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 14th, 2017, 7:58 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:And I still swear by a good, rich, cauliflower cheese with a few onion rings on top!

Now you're talking! I went through a phase of roasting cauliflower. I had been to the Barbican and had lunch when 'Cauliflower Cheese' was on the menu. It was somewhat disappointing to be served roasted cauliflower with a sprinkle of melted cheese over the top but better for the figure at least. I started doing it at home - but then stopped and didn't start again. I don't really like cauliflower with too much crunch and it seems to take an eternity to cook. I was brought up to have cheese or white sauce with cauliflower and have to say haven't found a better way of jazzing it up yet. I don't really find it a very exciting vegetable.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 14th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Clive, this is probably more your thing, Nigella's cauliflower and chickpea salad, this is how I roast cauli for any pupose, just varying the spice
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/warm-spiced-cauliflower-and-chickpea-salad-with-pomegranate-seeds
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen