Salad dressing

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Salad dressing

Postby Hope » April 18th, 2017, 11:18 am

I'm eating a lot of hearty salads for lunch, having lots of different ingredients in them, but I'm getting a bit bored of my dressings which are limited to a combination of pesto, mayo, lemon juice, cider vingear and tahini.

Any other quick dressings you'd recommend (shop bought or very very simple, quick recipes, please!) (No sugar, please!)
Hope
Registered

Re: Salad dressing

Postby Ratatouille » April 18th, 2017, 12:22 pm

You might like the eggy vinaigrette I posted on the summer chicken thread. As it is quite chunky it adds body and of course some extra protein.
American styke roquefort dressing is lovely especially on a more or less green salad.
I also make a sort of Chinese one using peanut butter but that has honey in it so you may not like it.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Hope » April 18th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Thanks Rats, I'll look up the egg one (is it cooked egg? I don't like raw egg.) Please post the chinese one, I can always reduce/leave out the honey.

Something like this? https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/124 ... t-dressing sounds nice!
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » April 18th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Found your egg vinegarette, sounds good. (and not raw!)
Hope
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 18th, 2017, 6:37 pm

I can't remember what you may and may not eat. If you eat dairy foods, I like plain yogurt with things such as chopped chives or creamed horseradish added with certain salads. If you are allowed nuts, I think nut oils such as walnut add a lovely base for an oil and vinegar dressing (I still have walnut vinegar which Ianinfrance kindly brought me from France a few years ago - that's especially good).

Soy sauce with oil can work with some salads too. In my wholefood restaurant days we added it to salads of crunchy beansprout, mushroom and Chinese leaves very successfully.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 19th, 2017, 9:40 am

earthmaiden wrote:Soy sauce with oil can work with some salads too.

I often do a variation on that. A favorite is lime juice, fish sauce and a dash of sesame oil or chilli-infused rapeseed oil.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 19th, 2017, 10:22 am

I tend to make them up as I go along, I try to avoid too much oil because of the calories, so yogurt features quite a lot
One thing I do use is the liquid from olives and sometimes from pickled cucumber. Olive brine provides the salt and vinegar, olive flavour, and dilutes the small amount of oil I use

I do a not very ranch style dressing, very roughly a TBS each of mayo and yogurt, a good dollop of Dijon or other mustard (not English, which would be too much), thinned with a splash of pickle juice (mild dill pickles) then add dill, parsley or crumbled blue cheese
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2017, 10:28 am

I'm another pickle juice user.......

Use any odds and sods in the fridge, yoghurt, creme fraise different oils, different herbs and vinegars and mustards.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 19th, 2017, 11:19 am

My standard dressing is crushed garlic, dijon mustard, sugar, wine vinegar and evoo beaten to a nice emulsion. You could leave out the sugar but I think it would be too bitter. I've never tried using honey instead.
When I'm in a hurry a quick mix of evoo and balsalmic vinegar usually does the job. Apart from that good quality shop bought mayonaise, to which I might add anything from blue cheese to yoghurt, or maybe both! Not very keen on most shop bought dressings - Newmans is probably the most acceptable.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby Hope » April 19th, 2017, 11:33 am

Thanks for the ideas. Definitely some I cna work with. Never thought of using olive brine before. (the only pickles we have are onions and I hate them!)

I've got tamari today (never thought of using that before) and some rice vinegar.

Might do something with yoghurt tomorrow. not thought of using that before either!
Hope
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 20th, 2017, 12:49 am

Rice wine vinegar, a splash of soy, a bit of fermented black bean sauce, a squeeze of lemon and a tsp of honey. Plus some chile powder if you like it.
Yoghurt, fresh coriander leaves, a small clove of garlic.
Buttermilk, the green part of a spring onion, dill, parsley and a bit of mayo.
For more robust salads ( chickpeas, beans, potatoes, etc) try mixing olive oil, plenty of fresh garlic, parsley and oregano.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 21st, 2017, 6:52 pm

Another pickle/olive juice user here and the oil from sun dried tomatoes.

A nice light dressing is avocado oil (mine's from Lidl) whisked with a little lime juice, a pinch of chilli flakes and chopped mint

Lovely with carrot and raisin salad is orange juice whisked with olive oil, a spoonful of yoghurt (optional), diced red chilli and parsley
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » April 22nd, 2017, 4:56 pm

Salad dressings from 'mr green’s' market garden - an organic veg box scheme based in summer court.
they are from a recipe sheet given away at a vegan food fair, today. i tried them there, they were very good.

Rocket and pea shoot pesto

A handful of rocket and a handful of pea shoots
A sprinkle of cashew nuts
A clove of garlic
A squeeze of lemon
A dash of agave syrup
A long slow drizzle of olive oil
Season with salt and pepper
- and blend.

Coriander salsa with a garlic kick.

A generous handful of coriander
Two cloves of garlic
Approx 50g of silken tofu
A good squeeze of lemon
A glug of olive oil
A generous sprinkle of sea salt
– and blend.

Zingy and sweet aromatic dill dressing

A large handful of dill, finely chopped
A quarter cup of olive oil
A glug of tamari
A teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
The juice of a lemon
A good squirt of agave syrup
Salt and pepper
– mix, mix, mix with a fork until it thickens and all comes together.
scullion
Registered

Postby dennispc » April 23rd, 2017, 3:25 pm

60g of oil, 30g white wine vinegar, 5g Dijon mustard, season to taste. Put in screw top jar and shake it all about. Just made it for our tea.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Return to The Kitchen