Felicity's salted caramel brownies

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Felicity's salted caramel brownies

Postby Pepper Pig » April 19th, 2017, 1:01 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... l-brownies

These look as burnt as the cauliflower! She needs a new photographer!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Felicity's salted caramel brownies

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2017, 2:08 pm

if she'd picked hers up from the floor, where it looks like she'd accidentally let them slide, and stacked them in the same way as the others in her photographs, they may have looked more appetising.
it makes you think that that was the best photo she had taken even after trying to stack them. i would suggest she takes a course in food styling/photography or let someone else do it for her.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 19th, 2017, 2:45 pm

I wish I liked Brownies more, those sound really delicious but even they would be too sweet.

The camera never lies .. it's nice to know that she has bad baking days too .. shame she doesn't own a plate :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2017, 4:17 pm

i think she must because the other photos are attributed to her and are all on the same style plate.
why she didn't use it for her brownies makes me think that it may have been her only plate and it's now in pieces on the floor, underneath the baking paper her brownies are on.

ps. it says, near the bottom of the article that she has changed the lead photo - i wonder what her previous one was like!
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 19th, 2017, 4:50 pm

I think the original was what I first saw! :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2017, 4:54 pm

and the photo was even worse than the current one‽‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 19th, 2017, 6:00 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 19th, 2017, 6:20 pm

scullion wrote:
ps. it says, near the bottom of the article that she has changed the lead photo - i wonder what her previous one was like!

Reading the comments below the line, there's a suggestion that she said the recipe makes 20 brownies, but showed a tray cut into 16 portions in the lead photo.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » April 19th, 2017, 8:41 pm

I think she may have either eaten a few or thrown them away because they were charred. She kept the corner pieces and rearranged the others to look like edge pieces. The 3rd from left on the bottom row does not look like the edge piece it is supposed to be :).

Doesn't anyone think the recipe merits comment? I would like to try one bite of one ... come to think of it, a piece with a bit taken out of it would add interest to the photo. :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Kavey » April 20th, 2017, 5:58 am

She does indeed provide her own photos, and I doubt the guardian pay her enough to make it worthwhile for her to properly style and shoot these, as that adds a fair bit more time to the equation, which may not be economically viable... I think her photos do often let the column down but understand why.
Kavey
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 20th, 2017, 7:36 am

earthmaiden wrote:
Doesn't anyone think the recipe merits comment? I would like to try one bite of one ... come to think of it, a piece with a bit taken out of it would add interest to the photo. :lol:

It's hard to comment on the recipe unless you've tried it, or have enough brownie baking experience to see how well it would work. I agree with some of her points - most salted caramel 'melts' into the brownie batter, so chilling it is a good idea and it's probably better to make your own as most commercial caramel is too thin, therefore even more likely to 'disappear' during cooking.

But, it's annoying that she's used a tin which isn't a standard size and although I can see why she's cut down the sugar in the brownie mix, doing so does affect the texture, making them cake-like rather than dense and chewy.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Busybee » April 20th, 2017, 9:11 am

Last week in the William Morris Gallery Cafe we shared a pistachio and salted caramel brownie..........it was sheer perfection. Just the right amount of gooeyness, salt and all round yum. As it's free to get into the gallery I heartily recommend anyone in the area finding an excuse for a cup of tea and brownie.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 20th, 2017, 9:30 am

Suelle wrote:and although I can see why she's cut down the sugar in the brownie mix, doing so does affect the texture, making them cake-like rather than dense and chewy.

I wondered about that. There isn't really a way of reducing the sugar and still getting the chewiness that people expect from Brownies is there? I think I'd rather just have a piece of fudge actually ;) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen