Strawberry tart

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Strawberry tart

Postby Pepper Pig » June 15th, 2017, 8:02 am

Felicity's been experimenting again.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... berry-tart
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Strawberry tart

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 15th, 2017, 8:39 am

Yum yum yum! Just in time for Wimbledon. New balls please!
I am drooling! Luckily my little shop down the road does punnets of strawbs so I shall be grabbing them while they are available. Yummy.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 15th, 2017, 8:55 am

I don't get on well with cream as a base for any sort of fruit tarte. I use pate sucre which i bake blind, then a layer of creme pat then the strawberries touching each other and finally a redcurrant glaze. Better still I buy one from the wonderful patisserie in town - after I've saved up my pennies, sorry centimes.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 15th, 2017, 8:57 am

You're right Rats ....... none of those photographed tarts look that appetising to me ...... not enough strawberries, which to my mind are the whole point of a strawberry tart.

This looks more the sort of thing I'd be after http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/reci ... erry-tart/
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 15th, 2017, 9:05 am

i wish she/they wouldn't call it 'the perfect ...' but just 'my version of ...' as they never look very tempting.
unfortunately she manages to make everyone else's look less tempting than, i'm sure, they should, too.
i think rosemary shraeger would never produce ones that looked like that!
i would definitely choose the one in suffolk's link on looks alone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » June 15th, 2017, 9:51 am

I agree, hers looks like a bowl of strawberries and cream plonked in a pastry case. Another vote for creme patisserie as a filling
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 15th, 2017, 10:28 am

Oh dear, they all look 'wrong' to me. I think Rats has the idea :). I don't think that the strawberries should look cut up, so should either be halved and placed so that the round side is sticking up, or left whole.

Actually, I would rather have a strawberry and cream sponge cake as my once-a-year strawberry treat.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 15th, 2017, 1:06 pm

The Delicious mag one looks... delicious. Served with cream, to gild the lily, of course. I confess I like those little deep ones you (used to) get in bakeries with cream. They were a childhood treat. Can you still get them?

I had my first bowl of homegrown strawberries off the plants last night.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 15th, 2017, 2:07 pm

It is funny but I have never liked cream with strawberries - exception of course being with scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 15th, 2017, 2:53 pm

I'll very happily have cream with almost anything. I have heard non-Brits disparaging this as very British, but sometimes it just lightens a dish - tarte or fondant au chocolat, for example. Or renders it less dry. But the same could apply to ice cream. (It annoys me no end when desserts are served with ice cream instead of cream, but I can see that it's more economic for them to do so, as it can be kept for longer. Plus some people actually really like it ;) )

The strawberry tarts I am talking about are almost scones with strawberry jam and cream anyway... :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 15th, 2017, 4:38 pm

My OH's French cousin made a strawberry tart with a thin layer of very crisp pastry, almost like shortbread, filled with halved strawberries (which may have been sprinkled with something) and put back into the oven very briefly to draw the juice. It was delicious, but I neglected to get the recipe, if anyone has one similar I'd be interested
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » June 23rd, 2017, 9:47 pm

Slightly off topic, but there's a lovely recipe for strawberry & gooseberry tart from HF-W. It's available online - 'gooseberry and strawberry rough edged tart'
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 24th, 2017, 12:08 am

Cream, strawberries and paté sucré sound like a good idea to me. However, a really well-prepared crème patissière , in my opinion, is the perfect foil for a faceful of slightly acidic strawberries.
Felicity`s presentation is awful. In fact, I think ALL the choices are awful, especially Dr Tim`s :oops:
If you`re aiming to make the "Perfect" strawberry tart, then at least make sure you use a little bit more artistry. What I see there is a tart base filled with cream and strawberries dumped on top.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby MariaKK » June 25th, 2017, 7:02 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Actually, I would rather have a strawberry and cream sponge cake as my once-a-year strawberry treat.

The best strawberries and cream sponge I've ever had is a recipe from the Cordon Bleu Summer Desserts book. I'm not at home so can't provide a recipe but it's pretty straightforward. You could just use your favourite fatless sponge recipe and replace some of the flour with ground walnuts - I like a few little walnut bits in it for texture. Beat eggs and sugar till mousse like, sift flour and fold in; fold in walnuts and about a tablespoonfull of very strong coffee. Bake, cool and slice in half fill with whipped cream and lots of strawberries. The original recipe says bake two cakes and slice each in half - end up with four layers - but I'm lazy!!

It's also rather good with peaches or nectarines if you can get really good ones - if not peel and poach.

I shan't be home till mid July so might be a bit late for this year's strawberries, but if you'd like the original I can post it once I'm back in France

ATB

Marja
MariaKK
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 25th, 2017, 9:20 pm

That sounds delicious. I don't associate coffee cake with strawberries.
I base my strawberry sponge on one that a friend's mother used to make when I was a child. Just a plain sponge as you describe (or a Victoria sandwich recipe) with sweetened macerated strawberries mixed with cream (or marscapone) and vanilla in the middle and more vanilla cream on top decorated with strawberries. Walnuts would be quite a nice addition.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 25th, 2017, 9:50 pm

I gave upon strawberry tart yesterday and made thin crepes filled with sliced strawberries macerated with orange and curacao and a little sugar. Served with a blob of creme fraiche :chops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MariaKK » June 25th, 2017, 10:30 pm

earthmaiden wrote: I don't associate coffee cake with strawberries.

I know, it does sound odd, but it really doesn't taste of coffee - or just the merest insinuation. What it does do is give it a better colour. You could add less or just leave it out.

What I like about it is the fact it's much lighter than most strawberry cakes. No topping - just a light dusting of icing sugar and at most 3 strawberries in the centre of the cake - or a few more placed along the outer rim.
MariaKK
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 26th, 2017, 2:25 pm

I tried Googling for that recipe Mariakk but no luck .............. however Mr Google did come up with this one ............a lot more work, but it might be just the thing for a special summer occasion https://www.cordonbleu.edu/news/chocolatestrawberry/en :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 26th, 2017, 2:33 pm

I'm puzzled by that recipe Suffs
I also thought Genoise was the one with melted butter?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 26th, 2017, 4:55 pm

According to this, the Le Cordon Bleu at Home cookbook states that 'butter is not mandatory' :-/

http://www.whiskblog.com/2010/02/genois ... m-and.html

I've a feeling we may have discussed this before ........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 26th, 2017, 5:48 pm

I think they are on their own with that, Prue Leith, Good Housekeeping Institute, Larousse, and GBBO quite clear that you need the butter! :lol:
I remember discussing why GBBO tend to think Genoese is more difficult, as not everyone agrees
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 27th, 2017, 8:28 am

Now this is a bit more like a Strawberry Tart !!!
strawberry-tart-side.jpg

https://breadcakesandale.wordpress.com/ ... erry-tart/

:drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 27th, 2017, 9:21 am

agree.
scullion
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 5th, 2017, 9:21 am

I too favour strawberries with sponge and cream. As my birthday is slap bang in the middle of June, my mum used to always make a strawberry sponge for my birthday cake. This usually involved a layer of sponge spread with homemade strawberry jam and then whipped cream and topped with as many strawberries as it could hold. My sister was always very jealous as her birthday was mid January and inevitably mum wouldn't want to make another cake until the Christmas cake was finished :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 5th, 2017, 9:51 am

Another strawberry dessert I love is Eton Mess. So simple, especially if you can get decent shop bought meringues. Tesco finest meringue nests are very good, as they've got that chewy,toffee like centre. Sometimes I grate some very bitter dark chocolate on top, to counteract the sweetness
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Return to The Kitchen