Dried pulses

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Dried pulses

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2017, 12:13 pm

I have always been wary of buying and using dried pulses. I think I may have had a bad experience once when braving dried red kidney beans!
Having recently dug out Rose Elliot's various beany books I feel inspired to have another go of the whole soaking, simmering process. First up....chick peas with macaroni. I have a shed-full of pasta so just got to get my hands on some dried chick peas and some lemons today.
What are your experiences of dried pulses? Good, bad, ugly, tasty? Any t&t recipes?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Dried pulses

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2017, 1:32 pm

I regard Rose Elliot's instructions as very reliable, but you always have to remember that pulses vary a lot, get a packet of chickpeas from (say) Tesco and they may be more or less ripe, dried more or less viciously, may be from a different farm, may have been in the warehouse a longer or shorter time etc. than a packet bought from Sainsbury on the same day.
Which means, in short, that the cooking time given by Ms Elliot or on the packet can only ever be approximate.

So follow her instructions for soaking and cooking, and when you think they might be done, fish one out and give it a squeeze, keep cooking until they squidge as you like them (and taste one at this point to make certain).

If you have a choice, in my experience the larger and paler a dried chickpea is, the sweeter and softer it is likely to be.

But I suspect undercooked pulses have put more people off "hippy food" than anything else has

I think The Shepherd's Beany Pie in the Bean Book is rather nice, I also like the lentil and potato bake which craftily uses a spoonful of any chutney hanging around for flavour.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 8th, 2017, 2:06 pm

I love homemade hummus and if you get the chance to make it with dried chickpeas all the better
I never use tinned are precooked puy lentils as they are so quick and easy to cook from dried and so much cheaper and nicer
I do however usually use tinned kidney beans, mainly because of the convenience and I quite like them in salads. That said I do usually use tinned chick peas for the same reason, and a chick pea salad is delicious
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 8th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Tezza, I do have a pulse cupboard :oops: :oops: It also has dried soya and potato flakes.... I consider tinned pulses a rip off and with a little forward thinking pulses are very cost saving and versatile. When in foreign climes I try and visit at least one good supermarket to see what they are offering in the pulse aisle. Southall is good for different pulses and having just cooked Vall Dall am constantly amazed at the cacophony of different pulses that are available out there. The internet is good because everyone has an angle and a recipe. I can remember on one visit to S'Hall a few decades ago and questioning what a strange looking vegetable would be used for and the old Indian mother had to get the grandchild to translate a recipe and what it was even called !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 8th, 2017, 11:53 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have always been wary of buying and using dried pulses. I think I may have had a bad experience once when braving dried red kidney beans!

Tezza, there was a discussion about cooking Red Kidney Beans and the 'toxin' they contain on this thread;
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14438&p=407782&hilit=red+kidney+beans#p407782

I agree with Sue about Rose Elliot instructions - she has lots of good recipes.
I usually cook my beans in a pressure cooker, after soaking them, and the cooking time can vary a lot. Depends on the batch of beans and how old they are, as Sue has said.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 9th, 2017, 3:18 am

I think tinned pulses are a godsend. My house gets all steamed up with anything that needs prolonged cooking in water on a stovetop and of course they have to be watched. I haven't get a pressure cooker.

Of course, dried beans are a useful addition to a storecupboard and on occasion are required in a recipe from the raw state, but for convenience tinned ones are so labour saving and require less planning. I agree with what Catherine has said.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » July 9th, 2017, 7:33 am

For convenience these days I tend to use tins, TBH. BUt I do occassionally buy dried (or "dry buyed" as I nearly typed!) Usually black beans because they cost as much for a tin as a packet of dried. I usually boil (just at the point below boiling over) for 20 mins, then turn off the heat and leave until cool. They cook in the residual heat of the water. I've never had a problem with getting ill from beans.

Chick peas are very safe because you can eat them without boiling (well in theory, although it's a bit tough on those of us with a sensitive tum!) But they can take a very long time to cook sometimes.
Hope
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 9th, 2017, 7:48 am

Catherine wrote: I do usually use tinned chick peas for the same reason, and a chick pea salad is delicious

Chick peas freeze well so you could cook some extra when next making hummus ang keep them for a salad.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby smitch » July 9th, 2017, 8:01 am

We don't really eat enough pulses to bother with cooking them from scratch. I'm not a fan of the texture of large beans such as butter beans. I can eat kidney beans if they're chopped up small but not whole. I really only use black beans or black eyed beans in a chilli or in bean burgers (there is a fab recipe using those beans in Isa Does It). I also use tinned chickpeas, I don't make my own hummus as OH hates it. Plus I can use the brine as an egg replacer which is great :D

I cook lentils from dried as they don't take very long, but that's about it.
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » July 9th, 2017, 10:26 am

i used to use dried kidney beans but as they are so cheap, tinned from lidl, etc i but them. i keep emergency tins of chickpeas for when impromptu need for hummous happens. and yes, the 'aqua farba' drained from the can makes amazingly good meringues.
i do buy dry chickpeas though as i make falafel, which are made from raw, hydrated, ground chickpeas. dried chickpeas are one of the things that get 'done' by a solar cooker for making into hummous or putting in other dishes.
lentils, split peas and gram flour are also staples on the shelf, along with other varieties of dried beans/peas that get used less frequently.
if you use the search box, above, you'll probably find lots of recipes, using the different pulses, posted by us in the past.

ps. purps started a very similar thread about being scared of dried pulses, a few years back, and asking for recipes - you can find that using 'search'.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 9th, 2017, 3:49 pm

I have used the search function and upon reading do not feel quite as scared!

Keen to get into cooking for a living I need to get this one under my belt! Thanks for the advice. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Kacey » July 9th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Every so often when I'm feeling virtuous I soak a whole load of dried pulses - chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans and black eyed beans mostly (not all together obviously). I'll try to soak on a Saturday, then spend Sunday with the pressure cooker, cooking them all and then bagging them up in 200g/400g lots and shove them in the freezer. They thaw in minutes in the microwave whenever you want them.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 9th, 2017, 7:53 pm

I have to say we have found that there is a vast difference in quality and taste of tinned chickpeas. I've opened a tin where the outer skin is floating all the way through it and they were really hard and tough.. We generally find the ones from Asian stores are better
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2017, 9:06 pm

I too find canned pulses variable. I like Lidl Freshona, especially the butter beans, if I cook butter beans from dry, I make a mess, but the Lidl ones are :chops: Napolina are pretty good as are French brands Bonduelle and d'aucy, especially the flageolets (another one that doesn't always work well from scratch)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2017, 10:41 am

the lidl butter beans are more like small gigantes beans than normal butter beans. they are fatter and don't split into mushy halves in the way traditional butter beans do. they are far more satisfactory. i use them a lot - although they haven't been on the shelves for a couple of months.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2017, 10:50 am

Exactly scullion, I will look out, I have a small stock but intend to use some, I might try the humunguous Lidl in central Hackney, as I will be down there anyway on Thursday
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 10th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Tinned butter bean mash is pretty good
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 10th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Catherine wrote:Tinned butter bean mash is pretty good

Yes indeed. I do a version with butter beans, finely chopped celery, white wine, garlic, seasoning and Zero yoghurt.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 12th, 2017, 3:16 am

I currently have :
French lentils
Common or garden brown lentils
Beluga lentils
Split red lentils
Split yellow lentils
Mung beans
Black beans
Red beans
Pigeon peas
Kidney beans
Split peas
In my fridge outside. We`ve just made a lot of black beans which we seasoned with sweet chiles, onion and coriander, divided into family size ( 3 people) portions and froze. Never had any mishaps with beans or pulses; there`s nothing to be afraid of Teresa. Far too much scaremongering in the news!
I may buy tinned pulses about twice a year. Only when I`m desperate or in a hurry, and don`t have time to soak.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » July 13th, 2017, 10:13 am

Catherine I got all excited there for a minute thinking the mash actually came in tins :lol:
I hate butterbeans but love the mash and find it a pain to make.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 13th, 2017, 11:15 am

MagicMarmite wrote:I hate butterbeans but love the mash and find it a pain to make.

Really, I find it takes moments to do, needs good seasoning though. Its a great standby, especially when you only need a small amount of mash
Catherine
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » July 13th, 2017, 2:48 pm

It's removing the skins that takes ages, I can't stand butterbean skins, all floaty and slimy, ugh.
Last time I made it I used rendered bacon fat in it though which was delicious.
I should probably do a big batch for the freezer.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 14th, 2017, 3:56 pm

I don't remove the skins, but if I wanted to do a lot without skins I'd put them through a food mill, which works well with pulses (Rose Elliot tip)
Which is fine if you have that slightly old fashioned piece of equipment
I have some flat white beans I'm not overwhelmed by, maybe I should make bulk mash
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2017, 6:30 am

A note on hummus, Mr. Z is not keen on shop bought hummus but will ask me to make my own, he loves it.

There is nothing better than searching in an Indian store for an undiscovered bean/pulse and discovering a whole new range of recipes. The Vall Dall I cooked with the other day was a good bean, it kept it's shape and the texture was firm but creamy. It's not just what you add to the pulse it's the way it behaves.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 15th, 2017, 12:50 pm

If you`ve never tried oily toovar peas , Zosh, it`s time to give them a go. I just LURV ´em!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 15th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Well, when I shopped for a newspaper earlier I noticed a whole aisle dedicated to dried pulses. I had to browse, of course. Took me about 20 minutes drooling over so many pulses I had never seen or heard of before. They sell them relatively cheaply I would say compared with supermarkets and also sell them in bulk. I think that the mainly Muslim and I believe therefore vegetarian community that I live in it must be the main protein source which I feel very comfortable with. There is not much meat here on sale.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 15th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Muslims aren't necessarily, or even often, veggie though I have worked with some who were veggie in the office for simplicity, as canteen meat would not be halal.
But South Asians and Middle Easterners do generally do use use a lot of pulses (think hummus, dal etc)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 15th, 2017, 2:57 pm

I suppose I was mildly generalising based on my knowledge. I have never been exposed to such a cultural diverse life and it is good to stretch the brain into learning about religions, traditions. I have heard of Halal food but never seen it on sale. Now a shop directly opposite me sells Halal meat and people are queueing up for it daily.
Such a wealth of ingredients here. Who needs Tesco? :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 15th, 2017, 3:16 pm

We both love butter beans. A rare treat to find good dried or tinned/jars. When I can lay my hands on some I cook them until tender then finish them off with pancetta or cru and chorizo crisped up and then add smoked paprika and re heatt the beans.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Kool, I have seen them but how do they differ from ordinary toovar ? We will be up the smoke at the end of the month, might even get to Brixton market if we plan it carefully.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 15th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Zosherooney wrote:might even get to Brixton market if we plan it carefully.

Well worth a visit if you can.
Catherine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 15th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Zosh: they`re oiled to save them from the bugs.
All you need to do is rinse them in several changes of water, until the water runs clear, then cook them as normal. They`re really delicious. And cheap!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 15th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Thanks Catherine and Kool, will let you both know how it goes....
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen