Frozen berries

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Frozen berries

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2017, 6:54 pm

There is a huge selection in my local store. What a delight! Today's purchase was a bag of blackberries. Usually I would have loads of blackberries to the rear of my house, if you could beat the birds to them, but now I have moved sadly no blackberry bushes so I have had to buy! Mum says her blackberry bushes are budding already. I thought that was a bit early.....anyway...what to do with them? I have been eating them straight out of the freezer but if I carry on at this rate I will end up with belly ache. Obviously blackberry and apple crumble springs to mind, hot from the oven with ice cream.
Blackberry sorbet? Blackberry ice cream? Blackberry smoothie?
Are there any other flavours/ingredients that I haven't thought about?
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Frozen berries

Postby earthmaiden » July 10th, 2017, 7:49 pm

All the lovely things you have mentioned of course.

Your post just whisked me back almost 60 years and reminded me that when I was little and stayed with my grandmother, she would sometimes give me hot, sweet semolina pudding with a little milk poured over it and topped with stewed blackberries for supper. Always served in little Pyrex dessert bowls. Happy days, I would be very happy to be served that for supper now! They would be nice with any milk pudding - and yogurt or custard too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 10th, 2017, 7:58 pm

I have a load of frozen berries in my freezer too. I bought them for my mother, but she won't be coming to stay again, realistically. I may just make a pie (although I have just had some semi-frozen with cream. There is also that thing where you drizzle melted white chocolate over them when they are still frozen...?) but if I really liked pancakes, I think they might make a nice filling... with cream, of course.

I ate my modest crop of blackcurrants from the garden on top of lemon cheese cake.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2017, 8:44 pm

we have a bumper crop of brambles/blackberries growing this year, in the garden. there will be quite a few going into the freezer for winter use - hmm, crumble!
i used to make blackberry wine - which was also very good.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 10th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Anything you can do with raspberries you can do with blackberries too :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby smitch » July 10th, 2017, 9:16 pm

I made lovely waffles with berries in the batter yesterday. You could make American style pancakes with the same mix.
smitch
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Blackberry wine. Now that deserves a Google! Also like the idea of combining with white chocolate. Some yummy ideas here. I have had to put those berries back in the fridge save me eating the whole lot!
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2017, 11:17 pm

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/blackbr2.asp

here you go. the recipes by c.j.j.berry do come out on the sweet side so if you do make some i suggest you use a half pound less sugar to start with. when it's coming to the end of its fermentation taste it -you can always add more sugar but can't take it away.
the recipe i made was from 'first steps in winemaking,' so recipe number 4 in the list is most likely the one.
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 10th, 2017, 11:55 pm

Keep some frozen them make you mum this for a nice meal over Christmas
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roast ... with_51167
Catherine
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 11th, 2017, 7:27 am

Blackberry upside down cake
Serve warm with ice-cream as a pudding or cold with lightly whipped cream or crème fraîche at tea time. Makes one 22cm cake.
370g blackberries
220g caster sugar
200g plain flour, plus more to dust
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
120g unsalted butter, softened, plus more to grease
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of a lemon
150ml buttermilk, well-shaken
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp icing sugar
To serve
Icing sugar (optional)
Vanilla ice-cream, whipped cream or crème fraîche

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Butter a 22cm x 5cm loose-bottomed cake tin, line the bottom with baking parchment, then butter the parchment. Dust with flour and shake out any excess. Scatter the blackberries into the tin in an even layer, sprinkle over two tablespoons of sugar and shake to coat evenly.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, beat the butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and adding a bit of flour if it looks like curdling, then beat in the vanilla and lemon zest. Add the flour and buttermilk alternately – flour/buttermilk/flour/buttermilk/flour – folding in until just combined.

Spoon the batter over the berries, smooth with a spatula and bake for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean – cover with foil if it looks as if it's browning too quickly. Meanwhile, put the lemon juice and icing sugar in a small pan and simmer for a couple of minutes. Cool.

Leave the cake to cool in the tin for five minutes, then loosen the sides and invert on to a plate. Peel off the parchment and trickle over the lemon syrup. Dust with icing sugar, if you like, before serving.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2017, 9:21 am

All the above + blackberry mousse:

https://www.thewi.org.uk/what-we-do/rec ... rry-mousse.

They also make a delicious sauce to have with game and duck breasts. I have a recipe.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 11th, 2017, 9:25 am

Blackberry jam and blackberry jelly is also lovely. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen