Cream cheese / cottage cheese

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Cream cheese / cottage cheese

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Since a recent fall I ended up with a broken shoulder and an x-ray has shown up five fractures in my spine! Ouch! Due to various reasons, diet being one of them, my GP suspects Osteoperosis and wants me to take calcium and vitamin D for my bones. I also want to include more dairy in my diet but not full fat milk or hard cheese. So have switched to skimmed milk and cream cheese and will be buying some cottage cheese on my next shop.
The only thing I know what to do with these two items is in sandwiches and salads.
I will scour recipe books I have here, and online, in the meantime I am open to ideas and T&T recipes.
Thanks!
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Cream cheese / cottage cheese

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Google Cottage Cheese quiche ............ loads of tasty recipes online :chef:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2017, 2:10 pm

I shall do that Suffolk. :tu: Actually cottage cheese does seem very versatile according to a Rose Elliot book I have here, especially in bakes and lasagnes etc.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Cottage cheese is also a great filling in a jacket potato :chops: especially with some chopped chives or spring onion and a good grating of black pepper.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 11th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Ryvita with cottage cheese and lots of back pepper
Cottage cheese with mango and prosciutto salad
cottage cheese sauce
cottage cheese with pineapple
Spinach and cream cheese pasta (a favourite with nephews)
cream cheese and marmite sandwich
Very fresh baguette with proper Normandy butter with salt crystals filled with fresh tomato off the vice sliced with loads of cream cheese and fresh ground black pepper :chops:
Last edited by Catherine on July 11th, 2017, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2017, 8:01 pm

I used to eat Ryvita with cottage cheese and sliced tomato and cucumber when on a diet. Really fancy that now.

I may have to have a cream cheese and Marmite and cucumber sandwich now. Sounds delucious
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2017, 10:10 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I may have to have a cream cheese and Marmite and cucumber sandwich now. Sounds delucious

:chops: :chops: :chops: :hungry:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 1:38 am

Delicious it was too. On stoneground bread, my favourite. I didn't have much Marmite left, not my usually quantity (thick) anyway! Still good though!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 12th, 2017, 3:10 am

You can use cream cheese to make pastry. Makes a pleasant change from just butter.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 12th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Onions stuffed with cream cheese, mushrooms and bacon is also good
Mackerel pate
If you make lasagne spread the sheets with some cream cheese for a bit of extra indulgence
remove from tub as a block (you used to be able to buy Philadelphia as a foil rapped block like butter) and pour sweet chilli sauce over. Great as a dip served at parties with tortilla chips or vegetable sticks
Catherine
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » July 13th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Tezza, I have the same, 5 broken bones in my spine and severe osteoporosis.
Has a derxa scan been arranged for you?
It should have, I have mine tomorrow as it happens.
I also take prescribed calcium and vitamin d, my diet is fine, so no need to change anything there.

As for cottage cheese, I can't recommend Longley Farm brand enough, it's absolutely delicious.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 13th, 2017, 7:15 pm

I too have severe osteoporosis. Dexa scan revealed a T score of 4.1 in hips, neck and spine :o
If your GP suspects osteoporosis they will surely arrange a dexa to asses the situation. I was initially prescribed alendronic acid, but I have been taken off this as is causes other problems connected to another illness I have, so at the moment I'm not taking anything. Mt vit D is severely low though in all honesty most people are deficient in Vit D and was taking calcium. Tezza if you are worried about it then maybe you could ask you GP to organise a scan. They can't diagnose it without it.
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 13th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I do have a scan appointment at the hospital one day next week. I feel sad for anyone going through same or similar. It is the most painful thing I have ever had on what seems to be a long term thing. I have been prescribed Codeine but knowing the side effects I would rather suffer the pain.
I am loving the cheese ideas. They have all been very inspiring.
Funny nobody has suggested cheesecake, unless I missed it! One of the first things I made in F&N at school - mandarin. I remember finding out in disbelief it actually contained cheese! :lol:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 13th, 2017, 10:56 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have been prescribed Codeine but knowing the side effects I would rather suffer the pain

If taken under supervision Codeine can be effective. I am on Codeine to manage the headaches from my brain tumour. I have to say after a lot of tweeking for the main part we do have the pain managed. Ok there are some days when nothing is going to touch it, but these are thankfully much less frequent now the codeine is sorted so do think about it. Why put up with the pain? If you can be pain free then you owe it to yourself and it can only assist your mental health and wellbeing.

You can make spanakopita with cottage cheese
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 14th, 2017, 3:46 am

I have always wanted to make/try Spanakopita!

If I take any form of prescribed painkiller to be frank it has a very negative effect on my bowels! So from experience I know that whilst the shoulder pain will be gone, there will be pain elsewhere and I will end up on laxatives which also then cause problems. In effect replacing one pain for two. I won't take them unless I seriously have to but at the moment I feel happier putting up with the pain. I am glad you have managed to control your pain using this method though.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 14th, 2017, 6:39 am

My Mum used to eat loads of CC and mixed hers with caraway seed, I like this now, (didn't years ago) but find that you need to mix the seed in the day before you want to eat it, that way the flavour and texture (of the seed) is better. I also have sieved CC to get is past Mr. Z. (swears he doesn't eat CC !!)
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen