Soup served with a dollop of mash...?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Soup served with a dollop of mash...?

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2017, 1:56 pm

I grew up eating bowls of soup, usually tinned, with a big dollop of homemade mash dropped in the middle. :chops:

Does anyone else have this?

We would usually have tinned Heinz cream of tomato. These days I have either homemade soup or Covent Garden Soup Co with instant mash with a good scoop of butter and squirt of English mustard. Tonight is carrot & butternut with mash mixture waiting for me to get the kettle to it. As usual a good drop of extra hot chilli sauce has gone into the soup.

Any favourite combinations?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Soup served with a dollop of mash...?

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Can't be doing with instant mash .... always tastes odd to me :sprout:

I like potatoes in soup but real, not instant ... today I chopped a couple of peeled potatoes, sweated them in some butter with a chopped leek, simmered for 15 mins in water with a chicken stock cube and then mashed it all with a potato masher and added a dollop of creme fraiche and stirred .... enough for two very large portions for pennies. Certainly cheaper than Covent Garden Soup
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2017, 4:25 pm

i've only ever put a sprinkle of grated cheddar in tomato soup, never mash.
the only prep'd soup i buy is the occasional tin of tomato.
tonight i'm making acquacotta - maybe without the egg addition.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2017, 5:14 pm

I keep economy / value /basic instant mash specifically for correcting the thickness of home made soup. Must be economy as that's the kind that has no added flavours or dairy, just potato and a trace of emulsifier. I just whisk in a little at a time until I like the consistency.

If I've had an upset tum, I sometimes thicken ready made soup with the potato to make something comforting.

Don't really like tomato soup
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 11th, 2017, 5:18 pm

To each their own Tezza, if you like it that's all that matters
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Well, tonight's Covent Garden, which was on offer in Sainsbury's and a treat from my Mum, was overly flavoured with cumin if I detect right. Not too nice! The mash was the best bit. Instant mash reminds me of school dinners which I have fond memories of. Tonight I made it a little too sloppy but flavoured with American style mustard. Okay for a quick meal.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2017, 6:42 pm

No, we didn't have that when I was growing up - but it sounds quite tasty!

I have no objection to instant mash - obviously it isn't fresh mashed potato but I know that. Since going to Slimming World, if I am freally hungry, one of my secret vices is instant mash with baked beans stirred in - and sometimes a fried eggs (using spray fat of course ;) . I have hardly eaten such stodge for years and it really fills a gap - and is within the rules and quite tasty, in fact I have had some of my best weight loss weeks when almost living on it, :oops:.

Talking of soup, I grew up in the era when Campbells condensed soups were all the rage as sauces. A favourite in our family was either Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom mixed (undiluted) with a tin of tuna and poured over plain mashed potatoes (no added butter etc as it was already quite rich). I tried it once more recently but the salt content was too much for me.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 11th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Never put mash in soup. But a spoonful of clotted cream in plain tomato soup was always welcome! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 11th, 2017, 7:15 pm

I'm not a fan of mash anyway but the thought of the two textures together puts my teeth on edge. It's the same as when people put perfectly poached eggs in soup . I think the liquid yolk and semi set white would ruin a good soup.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2017, 7:53 pm

I generally don't like the fad for putting a poached egg on anything and everything nice on toast or good smoked haddock but not much else IMO, I really don't like them in soup and asparagus and runny egg is simply disgusting to me, though I know it is for some reason very popular
Actually, poached egg on good mash, or a rosti or potato pancake is good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen