Homemade lemonade / cordials

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Homemade lemonade / cordials

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 15th, 2017, 9:30 am

I have really got into making my own lemonade recently. Simply boiling water, sugar, lemon juice and some pared rind.

Yesterday I had some red berry herbal tea in a jug cooling in the fridge and decided to combine the two and what a result! Lots of ice made it a very delicious drink.

Watching Saturday Kitchen there was a rhubarb and ginger cordial mixed with sparkling water which sounded and looked lovely. I have an abundance of fresh fruit and veg on my doorstep so next time I am out and about I will pick up some fresh ginger and research cordial recipes. Shop bought are okay but like anything homemade is best.

Do you make your own? Care to share recipes?
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Homemade lemonade / cordials

Postby KC2 » July 15th, 2017, 6:24 pm

I've not made anything other than elderflower cordial, when we used to have a large elderflower tree in our garden.

I found Sophie Grigson's recipe perfect: https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/elderflower-cordial/

Curiously I still have some ancient cordial from my last batch in our fridge and since it's been 6 years since we moved house I am not sure if it is still drinkable or it would poison us! The longer I've kept it the less sure I've been about whether to try it but I can't bear to throw it away ... it has a sort of browny cotton woolly stuff suspended in it but still smells great ... any opinions out there??? I wondered if that might be yeasty substances???

Not a cordial but a lovely refreshing drink is boiling water poured over some chunks of fresh ginger and left to cool. It tastes wonderful!
KC2
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 15th, 2017, 10:01 pm

I like home made lemonade
I zest 4 lemons, put in pan with 50-75 sugar (depending on the size of the Lemons)
Add some water from 1 Ltr & bring to a simmer for 5 mins.
Juice the lemons & bring the rest of the water to the boil
Remove pan from heat & add the Lemon juice & water.
Leave to cool then strain off the zest, bottle & store in fridge
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 8:08 am

I need to go out and shop for some more lemons and some fresh ginger. In fact that is going to happen now. :grin:
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 8:15 am

The elderflower link caught my eye too and lead me to a whole host of other recipes such as ice lollies and cheesecake. There is a massive batch of elderflower near where I live that I would have thought normally just die. Not anymore!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 16th, 2017, 8:41 am

Elderflower champagne it very easy to make, but it can get very lively, so you have to be careful about bottling it... I think the flowers are over now for this year now though aren't they ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 16th, 2017, 8:57 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I think the flowers are over now for this year now though aren't they ?

Yes, I think you're right Patsy, I also tried using the berries but not very successfully.
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 9:23 am

I now have another load of lemons, and just sat here and peeled a massive lump of fresh ginger. I have nectarines too. I feel like a mad professor in a lab faced with a table full of things to experiment with. The possibilities are endless! Mwah-ha-ha-ha! :lol:
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 16th, 2017, 10:35 am

KC2 wrote:Yes, I think you're right Patsy, I also tried using the berries but not very successfully.

I have a good recipe for elderberry chutney if you're interested (and I often make elderberry jelly which is delish! :chops: )
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 11:58 am

I am interested in the elderflower chutney recipe please!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 16th, 2017, 12:08 pm

I have brewing...boiling water, sugar, sliced fresh ginger, half a nectarine and a mango and strawberry teabag. All set to chill in the fridge to serve with ice just in time for the men's final. I haven't tasted yet but it smells good.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 16th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Hi Tezza,

Recipe is for elderberry chutney (rather than elderflower). Anyway- here it is! :D

Elderberry Chutney

425g elderberries
425g cooking apples (peeled and cored)
1 large onion, chopped
50g sultanas
150g soft light brown sugar
150ml red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon each of cayenne and mixed spice

Put the elderberries, apple, onion, sultanas, spices and half the vinegar into a large pan and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until the fruit is soft.
Add the remaining vinegar and the sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
Continue to simmer until mixture has thickened.
Ladle into sterilised jars and seal.
Will be ready to eat in 3 months and it lasts just about forever.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 16th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Gosh, I wish I still had my elderflower tree in the garden! Looks super, in our old house I made elderberry jelly and it really didn't work. It didn't taste good, I think I ended up using it as a glaze on roast lamb, which was fine.
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 16th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Seatallan wrote:Hi Tezza,

Recipe is for elderberry chutney (rather than elderflower). Anyway- here it is! :D

Gosh, I wish I still had my elderflower tree in the garden! Looks super, in our old house I made elderberry jelly and it really didn't work. It didn't taste good, I think I ended up using it as a glaze on roast lamb, which was fine.
KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 17th, 2017, 9:25 am

I use elderberry jelly in a similar way KC2 but it's splendid with venison steaks. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 18th, 2017, 8:59 am

Seatallan wrote:I use elderberry jelly in a similar way KC2 but it's splendid with venison steaks. :chops:

Good to hear, Seatallan :chef:
KC2
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » July 18th, 2017, 9:02 pm

The rhubarb and ginger looked lovely on Saturday Kitchen and is a classic combination but I wasn't impressed when one of the guests said he couldn't taste any rhubarb - M&S cordial.
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Return to The Kitchen