Take four vegetables

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Take four vegetables

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 24th, 2017, 7:24 pm

I have:
One massive potato
One onion
One carrot
One Savoy cabbage

Also small pasta shapes.

What to make?

I also have red lentils, tinned chopped tomatoes, not much else but an abundance of exotic and otherwise veggies, fish and meat, which I still prefer to steer clear of, all on my doorstep. Also the usual store cupboard and dairy items.

I am thinking soup if I can get hold of some decent stock. Any other ideas folks? I could stick to what I know - pasta, potato, Savoy served with Parmesan then I just need the Parmesan! But looking for other ideas too! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Take four vegetables

Postby Catherine » July 24th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Bubble and squeak topped with a fried egg
Roughly chopped the potato and carrot and cook tonight along with the cabbage, then leave to go cold. Bubble is best cooked with cold leftover veggies. Fry of roughly chopped onion and keep the veggies chucky as you fry it. Key is the crust at the bottom - don't keep turning it. Once you have to your desired liking top with the egg. Everyone has their own way though. Pickles and chutneys on table essential, even if you don't open the jar. For my mother, bubbles isn't bubble without a jar of pickled walnuts on the table
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 24th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Catherine - genius! I think I will prep half the veg tonight, cool, then pop out tomorrow for eggs and brown sauce, then the remaining veg are still left for other ideas! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » July 24th, 2017, 10:13 pm

If you put Dutch cabbage dish into the search box you'll find a loose recipe for what I'd do with those vegetables (well, three of them). You'd need some cheddar to go on top (as well as the soy sauce, vinegar, and curry powder in it).
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 24th, 2017, 10:48 pm

I have to admit to never actually having it topped with fried egg. We always had it with leftover roast pork, and I often thought it was better than the main event. Apple sauce always featured on my plate too. Like I said we got every single pickle and chutney we had out and everyone helped themselves. Often the ars were not opened but they had to be on the table
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 24th, 2017, 11:02 pm

If you can get a ham hock, ham and lentil soup with cabbage, onion and carrot would be fab. A slow cooker is ideal for it
Catherine
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 25th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Slice Potato,Onion, Carrot thinly, place each one in layers in a small casserole dish, seasoning lightly between each layer with S P & dried Herbs, pour over Chicken stock to just cover. Cover with foil & bake @ 180c for 30 mins, uncover & bake for a further 30 mins till spuds are golden & crispy on top. check with fork to see all is cooked
Serve with the Cabbage
Edited to add, if you have a little cheese grate over top & pop under grill
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Return to The Kitchen