oatcakes (the pancakey ones)

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

oatcakes (the pancakey ones)

Postby Hope » July 25th, 2017, 5:59 pm

I'm just watching Nadiya making Derbyshire oatcakes... Isn't there a version of them that doesn't have any wheat added? I've been googling but can't find any recipes. (Or did I just dream that!)
Hope
Registered

Re: oatcakes (the pancakey ones)

Postby Suelle » July 25th, 2017, 6:08 pm

I'm guessing Staffordshire oatcakes are very similar - but all those recipes contain wheatflour too!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Looking at the previous thread on Staffordshire Oatcakes (I've eaten both an can't see any difference) I see I did a bit of digging and discovered they were originally made with all oats, but the texture is considered better with some ordinary flour
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15120&p=429188&hilit=Staffordshire+oatcakes#p429188
Oddly enough, I've been thinking of having a go at them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » July 26th, 2017, 7:41 am

Thanks Sue. I don't remember that thread, and I see I posted on it... :? :shock: Memory, where are you?! It wasn't even that long ago!

I'll try your suggestion of GF bread flour. thanks.

I'm not going to buy shopbought GF wraps again - far too much money to buy plasticky cardboard! I made some buckwheat chapatis yesterday which worked well, apart from the third one which went a bit wrong (folded, holes etc!) But overall rather fiddly. I'm going to try everything to find the best substitute! I think I want something that's a batter rather than a dough.
Hope
Registered

Return to The Kitchen