Polish foodstuffs

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Polish foodstuffs

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 26th, 2017, 7:53 am

I am living amongst a very multi cultural environment, which I love! It is so interesting finding out about traditions including things such as dress/clothing, religions, manners and interactions with fellow dwellers, and food! I have a multitude of Asian stores right on my doorstep, which I am to a degree used to, but the wonderful store up one end of my road is completely Polish and I feel a little bit out of my depth. Everything is completely Polish. Newspapers, magazines, no English translations anywhere, and so many 'foreign' foodstuffs to be had, I probably look like a kid in a sweet shop gazing at everything! Yesterday I went in for mayonnaise. I just had to guess....ok, this looks like mayonnaise.
The point of my post is, there are obviously so many things to choose from that I am probably walking straight past because I don't know what they are! I was looking for hummus and something that looked like hummus also seemed to have bits of seafood in it but no idea what it was!
Has anyone got any clues/ideas on what I should be looking for in a completely Polish store?
Or should I just learn Polish? :grin:
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Polish foodstuffs

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2017, 8:37 am

Just ask the people in the shop Tezza ... not just those behind the counter but other shoppers too ... most Poles and other Eastern Europeans speak good English, are very enthusiastic about their food culture and do lots of 'cooking from scratch'. In my experience many love to talk about their traditional food culture ... jump in ... they won't bite and my guess is you'll make some good friends :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2017, 8:56 am

Not a lot of clue frankly, but I ate very well on a short holiday in Poland and I do shop in my local Polski sklep occasionally. There's usually a little label somewhere with some English on it and you can ask
Talking of spices, the dried herbs sold in little green sachets are excellent quality and good value
The Polish are big on cured meat and fish but I really don't know what to buy, I just buy what looks nice
Lovely rye bread
Nice jams and preserves too
All kinds of pickles, gherkins/cucumbers of course but I often buy a mixed salad in a jar that includes peppers and lots of green tomatoes
But if starting with just one thing I'd go for pierogi, sort of Polish ravioli, come in all kinds but I'd start with cheese and potato or mushroom, find them in the chiller. like ravioli boil for the length of time on the packet (ask if not clear), drain, and dress with a little finely chopped onion cooked in butter until golden (and the butter)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2017, 9:00 am

Oooh yes ... pierogi :hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 26th, 2017, 9:48 am

There's a bean & pork stew thingy that comes in a jar (I think the manufacturer is the Polish equivalent of Heinz) which Mr S is addicted to. It's a bit like a cassoulet. I always pick up a jar or two when at any of the local Polish shops.

They often stock really lovely bread. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 26th, 2017, 9:54 am

I have a love of Polish food, including their bread, it sticks to my hips ! Their sausages are the best, both dried and cooking ones. Their pickles are good too. Thankfully we have a Polish shop here too and I get my fungi stock cubes there, well worth finding them. Just look for the picture of a mushroom on the packet. Authentic flavour too.

Lidl do a Polish week every now and then. I am just waiting for the Mexican one, we are out of Tequila..... :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2017, 10:02 am

Our local Lidl stores cater quite strongly for the Polish and Ukrainian market year round :)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 26th, 2017, 11:23 am

Thank you all for your posts. I feel a bit more equipped now with a bit of knowledge and also happy to ask others in the shop what's what. I did notice a lot of preserved items, jams, pickles, olives, also cured meats, a whole section dedicated to cheese, most of which had 'edam' mentioned in the name on the label. How exciting!
I needed HP (or any other brand) Brown Sauce today which I have just purchased from my closest shop avoiding Polski heaven for fear of spending too much! :lol:
No doubt I will go there tomorrow! :grin:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » July 26th, 2017, 11:24 am

I agree with zosh - the mushroom stock cubes are brilliant, I use no other type of cubes now.
I have recently found a 'taste of home' shop over at pool ( the Baltic supermarket I used to go to at hayle closed down) so I 'stocked' up last week.
I agree, asking is the best bet, you'll learn far more that way.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Another vote here for the mushroom stock cubes ... couldn't imagine being without them now :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 26th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I now know what to look out for when I next shop! Thanks folks! I have noticed the amount of pickled and cured goods. They have a whole section dedicated to meats and Polish packet mixes (goodness knows what they are!) and a great big rack of bread items I have never seen before in my life. Huge flat bread things dusted in icing sugar with a huge swirl of something pink in the middle. I guessed raspberry/strawberry jam and bought one. I guessed right! Yum yum! I am halfway through. Part II later with coffee. Lovely stuff. Their bread rolls studded with pumpkin seeds are also very good. Lucky me! Oink! :lol:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Eastern European yeast cookery, curing and preserving ............... superb :chef: :luv: :kneel:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 26th, 2017, 3:10 pm

I think the Hairy Bikers did Eastern European trip, my taste buds were positively dripping !!! Great Basic Meat and Potatoes.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby MariaKK » July 28th, 2017, 12:17 am

Tezza

Agree with others who said - just ask.
But in case you want to go prepared, this is a fairly good on line dictionary

https://translatica.pl/slowniki/po-pols ... naise.html

As you can see mayonnaise is really difficult (naughty grin) : majonez, and hummus is just humus. Although the latter now widely available in Poland I doubt a Polish shop in the UK would stock it.

Pierogi
I agree with Sue try the potato and cream cheese ones Pierogi Ruskie - Ruthenian (not Russian) pierogi and garnish as suggested or, small lardons and onions are even better.

As the dough is more fragile than Italian pasta dough best to drop into boiling salted water and then cook above a simmer but certainly not a rolling boil - if that makes sense!! Give them a couple of minutes more when they rise to the surface and they should be done.

StokeySue wrote:The Polish are big on cured meat and fish but I really don't know what to buy, I just buy what looks nice
Lovely rye bread
Nice jams and preserves too

Sue,
if you haven't already done so try Kiełbasa Krakowska - very good in sandwiches, especially sliced paper thin with rye bread.

The Smoked mackerel - Makrela wędzona – is excellent. Usually comes individually vac packed. Because the fish is smoked whole it is soft and buttery. Skin peels off easily - bit off a faff to bone, but not that difficult.
I serve it with a beetroot salad , sometimes add new potatoes for something more substantial. Or a salade tiede : Puy lentils topped with mackerel shards and pink grapefruit segments,

Herring – śledź – plural sledzie

Jams & preserves

Łowicz is a pretty reliable brand

There are three main types of Jams/preserves:

1 - Dzem (pronounced gem) : jam as in UK. Try czarna porzeczka - black currants or wisnie - sour cherries

2 . Powidła (Poh-vee.dwa) – fruit butter
Try the plum ones – my favourite. Powid ła sliwkowe / węgierkowe . Traditionally made with no added sugar, though some people add sugar – but only 10 to 20%.
For more info on Powidła – scroll down to the end of this thread
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1176&p=30935&hilit=powidla&sid=ad176d6532cc765295aaee331089abe9#p30935

3 Konfitura – usually made with whole fruit cooked in sugar syrup – tend to be very sweet.

Łowicz also have a line marked 100% - i.e. all fruit, no added sugar and only natural pectin from apple juice or similar. Proper jams do taste better, but worth knowing for those who can't or don't wish to eat sugar.

BREAD - There are two words for bread in Polish

1 - Chleb (Ch is pronounced like an H - so Hleb) - sourdough or sourdough and yeast

2 - Bułka - can be rolls, baps or buns or bread made with yeast as opposed to sour dough and standard flour i.e not wholemeal, rye etc

Seatallan wrote:There's a bean & pork stew thingy that comes in a jar (I think the manufacturer is the Polish equivalent of Heinz) which Mr S is addicted to. It's a bit like a cassoulet. I always pick up a jar or two when at any of the local Polish shops.

That'll probably be Fasolka po Bretońsku - Breton beans - Goodness knows how those ended up in Poland.

Hope this helps a bit

ATB

Marja
MariaKK
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 28th, 2017, 8:26 am

My goodness, I feel like i have been on a Polish language course! I have to accept that if I want to get on here I need to learn the lingo! Love it! I am off to get some bread in a bit seeing as I ate most of yesterday's - must have been good.
I will take my little online dictionary with me. :grin:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 28th, 2017, 8:28 am

It's an adventure Tezza ... almost like being on holiday ... have fun :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Luca » July 28th, 2017, 9:15 am

Super info Marja. Thanks! I shall investigate when I come across a shop. :D
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » July 28th, 2017, 9:34 am

Thanks Marja :tu: :wave:

I love Polish style fruit butters and have had a few attempts at making it. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 3rd, 2017, 2:40 pm

I just walked to my Polish shop which doubles as a post office as I had to post a letter but couldn't resist browsing the food. Bread was almost all sold out. I started looking at the mustards. Loads of them. I adore mustard so asked if someone working there would translate the flavours for me. Nobody working there today spoke Polish. I forgotten my online dictionary link :oops: so took pot luck at musztarda bawarska which I now know translates as Bavarian. It smells lovely and I will try a bit later.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 6th, 2017, 8:26 pm

I adore Polish smoked meat, sausages etc. Dad did take me to a special sausage shop when he was alive and told me about different ones, caraway features very much in Polish sausage and is a favourite flavouring of mine. They do have some wonderful rustic breads too. I also have a selection of mustards from Eastern Europe, most are very inexpensive.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 7th, 2017, 11:46 am

Yummm... Caraway :tu: for some reason, my nan used to put this in her cabbage. I had no idea why as she wasn't that much of a cook and was English through and through (well I assumed she was, coming from the East End ! ) ...

At the moment I am enjoying a glass of kefir every morning.. purchased from the Polish section at the Tesco in Amersham, but not available from local branch :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 7th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Bet all the East End Jewish ladies put caraway in their cabbage Pat, perhaps that's where she picked it up?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 7th, 2017, 4:42 pm

As far as I know, no Jewish connection either (despite my last name being Marks - This is my married name ;) ) however, perhaps she knew some neighbours who were. They lived in what my mum called the 'tenement' buildings in Rotherhithe ..
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen