Coconut baking flour

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Coconut baking flour

Postby Zosherooney » July 27th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Whilst in H&B today bought a bag of this, has anyone any experience of this product, I have googled it, so will experiment later on.

TIA :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Coconut baking flour

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 27th, 2017, 4:05 pm

I haven't used it but have seen it on sale in my neck.of the woods along with lots of other unknown coconut products so will watch this thread with interest.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2017, 5:13 pm

I knew I'd read about it somewhere! It was discussed here a bit ...... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14814&p=419904&hilit=coconut+flour#p419904

I've never used it, I think it's good for some gluten free recipes.

Actually it wasn't mentioned much in that thread :). Hope will know though!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 27th, 2017, 6:14 pm

You can't do a straight substitute of coconut flour for ordinary flour as it is much more absorbent. You need much less flour than in a normal recipe, as well as more liquid. In many recipes extra eggs provide the fluid needed but this can make recipes very 'eggy'. Not every recipe you see online works well, unfortunately!

If you check out this comparison of brownies made with coconut flour, compared to my normal recipe, you'll see what I mean:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -more.html

This recipe worked well too;
http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipe ... ake-recipe
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » July 27th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Thank you wildies, it does mention about being more absorbent, I suppose egg and milk might work ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 27th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Thank you wildies, it does mention about being more absorbent, I suppose egg and milk might work ?

I really wouldn't recommend jumping in with experiments of your own - it's expensive stuff to waste! Try to find a recipe on a reputable site first, although that might be difficult as coconut flour is one of the trendy ingredients used in dodgy diets.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Hope » July 29th, 2017, 8:55 am

I use coconut flour a lot. Rather than using more liquid, I'd suggest using less coconut flour. If the recipe says 100g wheat flour, use 25-33g coconut flour. (it varies with different recipes, start with 25%, you can always add a bit more if it's too runny, although it will thicken after a couple of mins.)

I do find the texture of cakes made with just coconut flour a bit weird, soft, rubbery, so prefer to use half of a different flour (so 50g flour, plus 12-17g coconut).
Hope
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 5th, 2020, 11:44 pm

I have resurrected this thread and also read another mentioned. For various reasons I am experimenting with different non-wheat flours. I know that you need less coconut flour than wheat because of the absorption, I also knew it had a noticeable taste. Tonight I used some to make a savoury sauce with milk. I have never used it before. It tasted really, really nasty, like soap.

I know that dessicated coconut can sometimes have a soap taste if it has been around a while but this flour was a new packet with an expiry date next August. I normally like a coconut taste. Has anyone else who has used coconut flour and who likes coconut normally experienced a nasty taste?

I am worried about using the rest of the packet.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 6th, 2020, 12:19 am

gluten is what you need to control when mixing other flours with
wheat flour or you can just use straight none wheat flour mixed
with straight glutton. yes you can buy glutton separately but you
need know the correct percentage of gluten per percent of
none wheat flour. the percent of gluten you need will depend
what you trying to make. Sadly there is not allot of info on doing
this that I could find.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 6th, 2020, 12:24 am

EM, if you are experimenting with different non-wheat flours is that because you want to cook gluten free or just try different types of flours out of interest?
Rainbow
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 6th, 2020, 12:34 am

Wargarden - I wasn't talking about gluten, I have read quite a lot about the properties of various non-wheat flours. I was asking about how coconut flour should taste.

Rainbow, mostly because I am just interested. I sometimes cook for people who are gluten-free and am also interested in low-carb diets. Coconut wouldn't be my first choice but it was the only non-wheat flour available in the shop I was in today!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » January 6th, 2020, 12:54 am

earthmaiden as for taste I have always
found coconut flour to have that soapy taste.
I use a lot non wheat flours in my cooking and
baking experiments; I avoid using coconut since
I have not found a way counter act the soapy taste.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 6th, 2020, 8:08 am

I haven't used coconut flour since my contributions earlier in this thread, as it was very expensive and basic gluten-free flour is more versatile. I don't recall a soapy taste, but I do know that different brands of coconut oil vary in flavour, so perhaps this was just due to a variation in processing or of the variety of coconut used.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » January 6th, 2020, 9:17 am

Thank you. I shall use the rest very gingerly!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 6th, 2020, 9:35 am

Could you use it with other coconut products, (dessicated for instance ? ), to enhance the flavour rather than hide it ? Personally I love anything coconut flavoured so wonder if I would also taste the soapy taste you have experienced :?:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 6th, 2020, 9:56 am

Pasty, that was really why I posted. I like a coconut flavour but have tasted rancid desiccated coconut a few times which I has been soapy and unpleasant. I did wonder if what the flour was mixed with would make a difference or if the flour might be rancid despite being in date and freshly opened. I shall try out some flour and water type things to see what it is like, I would rather ditch the rest than ruin more ingredients. I really doubt that anyone would have liked my supper last night!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 6th, 2020, 10:08 am

As far as I know coconut flour is mainly a by-product of the production of coconut oil, so I would guess that the amount of residual oil and the care in handling varies a bit.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 6th, 2020, 11:44 am

the only time i've used coconut flour is when i haven't had any of the milk and used it in a thai-esque curry (can't remember what i bought it for originally). mine was fine - no 'soapy' taste but i think i know what you mean - there's a brand of coconut milk which is decidedly unpleasant compared with the usual one i buy (lidl). it was either a blue dragon one or another variety i bought from tesco. i won't be doing that, again, in a hurry.
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 6th, 2020, 2:09 pm

scullion wrote:was either a blue dragon one

I have used Blue Dragon coconut milk and soy sauce, and found both to be quite lacking in flavour - the soy sauce being particularly disappointing.
Gruney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen