Coconut baking flour

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Coconut baking flour

Postby Zosherooney » July 27th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Whilst in H&B today bought a bag of this, has anyone any experience of this product, I have googled it, so will experiment later on.

TIA :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Coconut baking flour

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 27th, 2017, 4:05 pm

I haven't used it but have seen it on sale in my neck.of the woods along with lots of other unknown coconut products so will watch this thread with interest.
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2017, 5:13 pm

I knew I'd read about it somewhere! It was discussed here a bit ...... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14814&p=419904&hilit=coconut+flour#p419904

I've never used it, I think it's good for some gluten free recipes.

Actually it wasn't mentioned much in that thread :). Hope will know though!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 27th, 2017, 6:14 pm

You can't do a straight substitute of coconut flour for ordinary flour as it is much more absorbent. You need much less flour than in a normal recipe, as well as more liquid. In many recipes extra eggs provide the fluid needed but this can make recipes very 'eggy'. Not every recipe you see online works well, unfortunately!

If you check out this comparison of brownies made with coconut flour, compared to my normal recipe, you'll see what I mean:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -more.html

This recipe worked well too;
http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipe ... ake-recipe
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » July 27th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Thank you wildies, it does mention about being more absorbent, I suppose egg and milk might work ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 27th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Thank you wildies, it does mention about being more absorbent, I suppose egg and milk might work ?

I really wouldn't recommend jumping in with experiments of your own - it's expensive stuff to waste! Try to find a recipe on a reputable site first, although that might be difficult as coconut flour is one of the trendy ingredients used in dodgy diets.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Hope » July 29th, 2017, 8:55 am

I use coconut flour a lot. Rather than using more liquid, I'd suggest using less coconut flour. If the recipe says 100g wheat flour, use 25-33g coconut flour. (it varies with different recipes, start with 25%, you can always add a bit more if it's too runny, although it will thicken after a couple of mins.)

I do find the texture of cakes made with just coconut flour a bit weird, soft, rubbery, so prefer to use half of a different flour (so 50g flour, plus 12-17g coconut).
Hope
Registered

Return to The Kitchen