Falooda and other new found food items

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Falooda and other new found food items

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 31st, 2017, 10:44 am

I have been walking past packets of Falooda in my local shop and never purchased until today. This is strawberry flavoured. I have no experience with Falooda. I have followed the instructions on the pack but it doesn't look right. I thought it would 'set' but it's all watery. I shall leave it to cool and then put it in the fridge so maybe that will be key.
I also recently purchased a jar of Rose Spread. I have always adored Turkish Delight and the smell of roses. I am so glad that I was tempted into buying it. I don't think it will last long!
Have you ever been tempted to try something new? Were you pleased?
There are some knobbly little veg in the same store. I need to ask what they are. No labels...
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Falooda and other new found food items

Postby Herbidacious » July 31st, 2017, 11:07 am

Glad you are enjoying your local Turkish (?) shop, Tezza. Mine sells quite a few things (vegetables and fruit) I can't identify too. I have been tempted by cheese. The processed stuff in a glass: nope.
Husband likes the Polish vegetarian pate in a tine that they sell. Looks a bit yuk to me. But he likes it.
Have had some interesting biscuits from them.
Wet almonds. hmm...
The Bulgarian sheep and goat feta-style cheeses taste better, dare I say it, that the Greek. More like the fresh Greek feta I have had from Greece.

I am always tempted by novelty, I confess, but I do try and curb myself.
Sometimes things just lurk in the pantry for a very long time. For example the tin of mock duck, I once bought. (Eventually opened and chucked.) And there's a tin of nut roast (?!!) that I have not summoned up the courage to try yet.

Recent(ish) new things: some soya based vegan 'gyros' which OH bought. He ate it but I tried a bit and it was nice.
Vegan sriracha mayo - didn't get to try this before OH finished it
there are some Quorn 'fish' fingers that have been in the freezer for ages, waiting for me to 'feel like them'.
we tried some Durum fruit at work as 'research' for the Food book. Not much to it, but since it was not terribly smelly, it may not have been ripe enough.
I bought some very expensive calisson with truffle in Bon Marche when I was in Paris the other weekend. I didn't really twig what it was when I bought it. Not sure what to do with it. On toast, I guess.
I also bought some seaweed based 'caviar' there. Again, not yet tried.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 31st, 2017, 11:33 am

Wiki says that Falooda is a beverage, so it probably won't set ... but I bet it's lovely drunk chilled :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 31st, 2017, 11:40 am

Faloda is in my limited experience a set dessert, and Google turns up recipes for that too

I try all sorts of things, but I do tend to research them first!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 31st, 2017, 12:22 pm

Well, I'd never heard of Falooda/Faloda, our only Turkish shop is some way from here. I have a job keeping up with the things that EmWilk eats because they are way outside my experience though everyday in parts of the UK now, it would be nice actually to have a thread here where we discussed foods which were not of European origin because some know a lot about them and others not much.

Looking at Falooda recipes, it seems to me that it is considered a real treat made into a softish ice cream ... I think I would put some in the freezer and try it when soft set.

What did you put your rose spread onto Tezza? I wouldn't fancy it on bread but it would make a lovely sponge filling.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 31st, 2017, 12:37 pm

Re the rose spread...........when we were in krakow last year we had rose jam filled doughnuts, still warm straight from a window in a shop front. My polish friend took us there - they were things of great beauty. Light, not greasy and the rose jam a revelation. Delicious!

Enjoy the spread Tezza.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 31st, 2017, 1:30 pm

Falooda is Indian or Pakistani rather than Turkish, the reason I'd heard of it at all is because some London Indian restaurants serve it as dessert, often in a version with a scoop of ice cream or kulfi in it
Here what seems a reasonable recipe
http://www.spiceupthecurry.com/falooda-recipe/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 31st, 2017, 5:47 pm

Gosh, a new one on me...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby EmWilk » July 31st, 2017, 8:17 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have a job keeping up with the things that EmWilk eats because they are way outside my experience though everyday in parts of the UK now

That's really interesting EM, I always honk of my food as terribly dull. Give me a nudge next time, I'll be happy to explain.

Falooda is something my (indian and pakistani) work friends order when we go out to eat. Too sweet for me but it's not usually set like jelly... I Think of it as a milky rice pudding consistency but with vermicelli and tapioca instead of rice.

Those kind of shops are the best though Tezza. I've never heard of rose spread though.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby smitch » July 31st, 2017, 8:30 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Glad you are enjoying your local Turkish (?) shop, Tezza. Mine sells quite a few things (vegetables and fruit) I can't identify too. I have been tempted by cheese. The processed stuff in a glass: nope.
Husband likes the Polish vegetarian pate in a tine that they sell. Looks a bit yuk to me. But he likes it.
Have had some interesting biscuits from them.
Wet almonds. hmm...
The Bulgarian sheep and goat feta-style cheeses taste better, dare I say it, that the Greek. More like the fresh Greek feta I have had from Greece.

I am always tempted by novelty, I confess, but I do try and curb myself.
Sometimes things just lurk in the pantry for a very long time. For example the tin of mock duck, I once bought. (Eventually opened and chucked.) And there's a tin of nut roast (?!!) that I have not summoned up the courage to try yet.

Recent(ish) new things: some soya based vegan 'gyros' which OH bought. He ate it but I tried a bit and it was nice.
Vegan sriracha mayo - didn't get to try this before OH finished it
there are some Quorn 'fish' fingers that have been in the freezer for ages, waiting for me to 'feel like them'.
we tried some Durum fruit at work as 'research' for the Food book. Not much to it, but since it was not terribly smelly, it may not have been ripe enough.
I bought some very expensive calisson with truffle in Bon Marche when I was in Paris the other weekend. I didn't really twig what it was when I bought it. Not sure what to do with it. On toast, I guess.
I also bought some seaweed based 'caviar' there. Again, not yet tried.

I love the tinned mock meats. They're great in a stir fry- it's only seitan. The quorn fish fingers are pretty good, more like the cheap fishy ones but good in a white bread sandwich with some tartare sauce. Not tried the sriracha mayo yet but it looks good. I'm still working my way through the vegan mayo I got in the US- Just Mayo. It's fab.
smitch
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 31st, 2017, 8:36 pm

EmWilk wrote:That's really interesting EM, I always honk of my food as terribly dull.

Its the same as thinking everyone elses fridge contents are so much more exciting than your own, no matter what each fridge contains. This is probably because you know what is in yours but the thrill of what you might find in another persons fridge adds interest.
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 3rd, 2017, 11:26 am

Catherine wrote:Its the same as thinking everyone elses fridge contents are so much more exciting than your own, no matter what each fridge contains. This is probably because you know what is in yours but the thrill of what you might find in another persons fridge adds interest.

or horror ! :o ;) :lol: I wouldn't want anyone to look in my fridge, even I don't know what's lurking at the back :scared:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 3rd, 2017, 11:50 am

You and me both, Patsy. I need to do a bit of a fridge cull before Saturday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

I had the rose spread on bread but can imagine it being divine in or on a doughnut! I think I will scrap this batch of Falooda and start again another day when I am better prepared.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen