A big bag of red lentils

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

A big bag of red lentils

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 7th, 2017, 2:20 pm

I am wondering what to do with this lurking at the back of my cupboard.

I am a big fan of soup. Have stock and basic roots. Love a curry and have curry spices/pastes. I can get pastry and fancy some sort of eggy quiche. I can also get kale/spinach/cauliflower.

The world is my oyster but any ideas, and recipes would be gratefully received so that these beautiful coral coloured pulses do not sit there unloved for much longer.

Hungry now!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: A big bag of red lentils

Postby smitch » August 7th, 2017, 2:32 pm

It makes a nice curry with cubes of squash or sweet potato- I stir some spinach leaves through at the end.
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Second scullion, a spicy dal or curry, cauliflower florets a good alternative veg chunk
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 7th, 2017, 5:15 pm

I was also going to suggest dal, or lentil & bacon & cabbage soup. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » August 7th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Bin them :sprout: . I know that a lot of folks will disagree but one of the things I can't eat is lentils :sprout: :sprout: . Much the same as quinoa or any of that type of grain.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 7th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Agreed. Nasty things.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 7th, 2017, 7:55 pm

They make a nice dip, cook until soft but not too mushy, drain and cool. Then blend/mash with herbs/spices of your choice ( I like chilli, garlic & mint), a little olive oil and some lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste.
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 7th, 2017, 8:59 pm

I am never going to ditch food and fancy the dhal or soup route. Tomorrow the aprons (apron) are (is) out! Yeehar!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2017, 9:23 pm

On a different note Rose Eliot has a recipe for a lentil bake, you cook the lentils with an onion, I also add garlic, mash, mix with mashed potato and seasoning, top with cheese and bake. The trick is that the seasoning includes a good amount of any chutney you like :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 7th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Shepherdess pie
Lentil and bacon soup
Spicy lentil soup
Lentil and chorizo soup
Lentil, lamb and spinach curry
Lentil and cheese pie

Or just simply have a play around with them and make your own thing up. They are quite versatile and can pretty much be thrown in to any stew/curry/casserole type of dish and can been used to bulk out mince and make it go further especially ina bolognaise
Catherine
Registered

resRe: A big bag of red lentils

Postby karadekoolaid » August 8th, 2017, 2:46 am

Ive got a quirky recipe for lentil and pumpkin pie. It works rather well, believe it or not!
Dal is the obvious - and possibly the most delicious. I like to add potatoes to mine.
If you dry fry them, you can use them as if they were a spice. In fact, "sambhar" powder uses just that.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » August 8th, 2017, 7:09 am

Have always used them in a number of ways.

Soups - as others have said, curry type soups or in bacon broths. The latter would have typically used yellow split peas in previous generations. Lentils cook more quickly and don't need soaking first.

Dals or veg curries again as other have said. I also concur with the spag bol suggestion, either as they are or as an extender.

Additionally, they are very good for thickening stews cooked in a pressure cooker. The lentils go to mash and thicken the gravy in the time it takes to cook the stew.

Lentil burgers/croquettes - cooked lentils mashed with other ingredients and fried in patties. The Blessed Delia has got a recipe called Chilladas, from yonks ago in which they are mixed with some grated veg and there's another one (Cranks?) that uses peanut butter, yeast extract and cheese that works too.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » August 8th, 2017, 8:57 am

The vegetarian restaurant I used to work in used to serve a rather good lentil lasagne.
I should use them more but I tend to get stuck in the soup rut.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 8th, 2017, 9:31 am

StokeySue wrote:Rose Eliot has a recipe for a lentil bake,

Used to make that a lot- I was thinking of it yesterday after seeing this thread. Yummy it is too! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2017, 9:50 am

All the above! We used to make a rather nice lentil tart rather than pie. The lentils were cooked with tomato (and sometimes other veg as well) and spices and seasoning of choice to a thick consistency then put into a pastry case which had been baked blind, topped with cheese and baked. The cheese can be omitted of course but is nice if you eat cheese - it can be a cheese and crumb mixture.

Mmm, lentil croquettes, I haven't made them for ages ... they must contain pieces of walnut!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 8th, 2017, 7:55 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Mmm, lentil croquettes, I haven't made them for ages ... they must contain pieces of walnut!

Try adding bacon to that too
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Some more lovely ideas on here. The croquettes caught my eye. One for the future. I tried to find my stick blender in storage today but failed miserably. So many heavy boxes so am thinking a chunky lentil soup with the veg I have which includes potato, onion and broccoli. I will probably spice it up a bit with curry paste, cumin and fresh coriander. I will mash it a bit with a spud masher in light of the lack of stick blender.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 8th, 2017, 11:28 pm

earthmaiden wrote:All the above! We used to make a rather nice lentil tart rather than pie. The lentils were cooked with tomato (and sometimes other veg as well) and spices and seasoning of choice to a thick consistency then put into a pastry case which had been baked blind, topped with cheese and baked. The cheese can be omitted of course but is nice if you eat cheese - it can be a cheese and crumb mixture.
Mmm, lentil croquettes, I haven't made them for ages ... they must contain pieces of walnut!

sounds very similar to the recipe I have, EM,
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Amber » August 9th, 2017, 2:06 am

Lentil Wellington, very tasty. And easy!

https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/cara ... ellington/
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 9th, 2017, 3:45 am

A Wellington sounds good. Do you think it would work with red lentils instead of Puy? I have everything in except onions and the pastry at the moment, both easily available, so am sorely tempted. Thanks for sharing.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2017, 9:27 am

karadekoolaid wrote: sounds very similar to the recipe I have, EM,

The ingredients look good in yours - I assume the pumpkin is mashed? Mine was developed from a Jocelyn Dimbleby recipe from one of her 1970's Sainsburys books. She used minced meat for the 'crust' and lentils for the filling. The meat went too crusty and was vile. I was helping run a vegetarian restaurant at the time and it gave us the idea to develop a pastry tart instead.

Wellington sounds lovely too. Not so keen on the thought of bacon in the croquettes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » August 9th, 2017, 5:24 pm

The lentil loaf has been on my 'to do', list, for about 10 years, I never get round to it as they always end up as soup here, and pretty much always with homemade ham stock.
Tezza, I really wouldn't put broccoli in it, I don't think that would go at all, if I'm adding extra veg, (other than onion) I use carrots/sweet potato, celery would work well of course but we both hate it.
I generally don't bother with ordinary potato unless I have one that needs using.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Amber » August 9th, 2017, 9:07 pm

I use red lentils all the time, just sometimes cook for a bit less.
Amber
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 10th, 2017, 8:08 am

I usually sling (red/orange) lentils in soups and stews for added goodness and fibre ... but a very economical soup can be made from lentils, a tin of tomatoes, an onion and veg stock cube .... any spices you fancy could be added and the cooked mixture then blitzed (when you have found your stick blender ;) ) .. apart from the onion, all store cupboard ingredients - and cheap ;) This is not as adventurous as other suggestions above though :rolleyes: - I normally use puy lentils as a side with meat or fish.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen