The perfect egg mayonnaise

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

The perfect egg mayonnaise

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 9th, 2017, 11:05 pm

I always have eggs and mayonnaise in and am looking out for the best egg mayo recipe.

Tonight I mashed hard-ish boiled eggs with mayo (shop bought), some Dijon mustard and ground white pepper. I remember once being shown in a professional veggie kitchen how to make this better by adding either cayenne or paprika but I cannot remember which.

Tomorrow's lunch will be my egg mix on wholemeal bread with sliced cherry tomatoes. Online an addition of watercress seems quite popular. As a kid I remember cress. I imagine either of these word work well. I am fairly new to the egg eating game so would love to hear your way with egg mayonnaise.

Would you ever serve it as a starter minus the sandwich/bread bit?

I feel my concoction tomorrow could do with a side serving of salt & vinegar Kettle Chips. :chops:
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: The perfect egg mayonnaise

Postby Luca » August 10th, 2017, 7:39 am

Hi Teresa, When I lived and worked in Paris oeufs dur au mayonnaise was often a staple on the starter selection of set price menus. In those days I used to receive restaurant coupons as part of my pay packet. The French take their working lunches seriously and we had enough for a daily three course meal plus glass of wine! Fun times! The recipe was always more or less the same but the choice of salad differed. It could be watercress, mac he and nowadays probably rocket.

Something similar to this.

http://www.parispaysanne.com/paris-pays ... mayonnaise

See if you can get your hands on a packet of cress seeds and grow it yourself. It's delicious with eggs.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » August 10th, 2017, 11:29 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Would you ever serve it as a starter minus the sandwich/bread bit?

I do sometimes, though usually accompanying smoked salmon. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 11:42 am

If served as a starter you usually leave the eggs just halved, as on Luca's link, rather than chopping as for a sandwich
Mum used to do this and garnish with a sprinkle of paprika, which I think was standard at the time. You could use a pinch of either cayenne or paprika to brighten up chopped egg mayo, whichever appeals. Chives are nice (or a tiny bit of spring onion) in an egg mayo sandwich

I sometimes make a Katie Stewart recipe as a starter or light meal, halved eggs coated with a curried mayo with prawns or shrimps stirred into it. Really nice
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 10th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Good idea about growing cress Luca. I haven't done that since junior school (I think!).Next time I am out shopping. :tu:
Luckily my local stores where I walk to each day sell an abundance of spices quite cheaply so will pick up some paprika and cayenne to add to my spice collection (just cumin so far, It's a start :lol:)
I do like the idea of the halved boiled egg mayo salad idea. :chops:
I just remembered one of the first dishes I made in food & nutrition at school. I think we had a free reign and I chose a recipe from a book that I still have. Hard boiled eggs halved, yolks scooped out and mixed with seasoning and spices (I forget what now) and then piped prettily back into the whites. I was so proud of those!
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 10th, 2017, 12:47 pm

I love a trad egg mayonnaise usually with a simple lettuce salad or sliced tomato and basil salad. Fresh eggs fromour hens and hm mayonnaise I usally serve tem on either a simple green salad or sliced tomatoes and always with cayenne and a few capers on top.

Very popular round here is hard boiled eggs halfed, yolk removerd, mashed and mixed with an equal quantity of tapenade then put back in the whites.

I also still make Eggs Connaught as a starter:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Eggs_Connaught
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 1:21 pm

My mum used to make egg dishes with sliced hard boiled eggs topped with something and baked
She did a la Portugaise, eggs topped with a mush of onion and tomato, then cheese and bread crumbs and baked, and also a version topped with onion sauce in place of the tomato mix
It was a nice light meal but sometimes the egg white in contact with the dish went leathery, it occurred to me recently that using whole small eggs rather than sliced would be much better, but haven't tried this yet
Back to mayo, there are also Russian eggs :chops:
There are some very fanciful versions on t'internet, but the version I know from Austria and Eastern Europe (so not actually Russia) is a salad made of cooked and diced potato and carrot, mixed with cooked peas and sometimes tiny sections of green beans and dressed with mayo, topped with halved hard boiled eggs and more mayo, garnished with fish roe (I've got a little jar of lumpfish caviar from Lidl, but they are optional) cornichons and capers
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 10th, 2017, 2:16 pm

The latest food scare (Telegraph headlines just now).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... -fsa-says/
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Been all over the BBC too PP

I've been buying local-ish organic eggs, as they are quite reasonably priced at the moment but it seems that these were mainly in processed foods
And the use of the pesticide is illegal in poultry farms everywhere in Europe

While out today I found jars of Cooked and peeled quail's eggs preserved in water which apparently you are supposed to look just like freshly boiled ones
On-line reviews are mixed, but at over £6 for 18 I doubt I'll b that lazy, as Clarence Court are £1.99 for 12 and probably higher welfare
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 10th, 2017, 7:46 pm

No need to worry if you buy British eggs.

Obe recipe for eggs with the piped yolk are called Devilled Eggs in the USA and are still popular I think - I haven't seen them here since the early 70's. (Go easy on the mustard though, I don't think the stuff they use is as hot as ours). https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/cl ... fc5cdb936a

We used to enjoy Egg Mornay. It was halved hard boiled eggs served in a tasty cheese sauce with a cheese and crumb topping browned in the oven.

I love egg sandwiches :chops: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Friend of mine makes devilled eggs to her mother's recipe from the fifties, not necessarily piped and a lot more interesting flavourings than just mustard, always paprika, cayenne or tabasco, and often Worcestershire sauce
Felicity Cloake is about right I think

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/apr/01/how-make-perfect-devilled-eggs-canape

earthmaiden wrote:No need to worry if you buy British eggs

It seems they weren't sold raw but in things like pre-packed sandwiches
It also seems that as the toxin builds in your system, only long term exposure would be an issue
Fipronil is illegal on poultry farms ever where in the EU and it seems arrests are expected
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen