Custard tarts from Jeremy Lee

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Custard tarts from Jeremy Lee

Postby Pepper Pig » September 22nd, 2017, 12:15 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... f-puddings

I love Jeremy! Are we any nearer a St John meet? It keeps being mooted. Although Jeremy is chef/patron at Quo Vadis, also worth a visit.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Custard tarts from Jeremy Lee

Postby Badger's mate » September 22nd, 2017, 1:53 pm

Never tried a custard tart at B&W, not sure if I recall seeing them! :o

I've got both Nose to Tail books and to my shame haven't had a crack at a custard tart recipe. Too busy with the madeleines and Eccles cakes perhaps (both brilliant) :D

Having just stopped mid reply to check on my books I can't find a custard tart recipe in either :?
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 22nd, 2017, 2:02 pm

An ex colleague who is a pastel de nata fanatic (claims to have eat dozens on a long weekend to Lisbon) highly rates the ones at The Eagle on Farringdon Road. I might just have to have lunch there again next week and try one.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 22nd, 2017, 2:06 pm

I've had reasonable success making Pasteis de nata at home. Used ready made all-butter puff though.

They are a different thing from an English custard tart. Both lovely.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 22nd, 2017, 5:41 pm

Wow! Just egg yolks and no white at all - so decadent. They must be delicious.

I love Pasteis de Nata, there is something nice about eating bought ones though :). I have never thought of making them at home. There were some delicious-looking ones on sale at the Ludlow food festival last week, they looked spot on.

PP - why not try to organise a St. John meet and see what happens?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 22nd, 2017, 6:37 pm

Oh these look good, something you seldom see in bakers round here, or if you do they don't taste of anything except sugar!
For a quick fix - Jamie Oliver's quick Portuguese Tarts (from the 30 min meals book) are pretty tasty though I'm sure far from authentic. I used to have to make a double batch as the kids just scoffed them. When I first made them my nephew who was just a wee boy was here and he managed to snaffle four before I even noticed ;) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 24th, 2017, 11:45 am

I first had these in Hong Kong .. the bakers there all seem to make them and I almost became hooked on them (as I also did with the freshly made coconut milk sold on the streets ;) :chops: ) .. Then I found them at the Chinese baker on the corner of Gerrard Street.. and since then they seem to have popped up everywhere ;) :tu: :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen