parsnip gnocchi?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

parsnip gnocchi?

Postby Hope » September 29th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Would that work?

Obviously need more flour than potato gnocchi, but what do you think? Am I completely crazy!?
Hope
Registered

Re: parsnip gnocchi?

Postby scullion » September 29th, 2017, 4:37 pm

just try it and report back - it could be brilliant.
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » September 29th, 2017, 5:47 pm

:tu: I like your optimism!

If it doesn't work, I'll just have parsnip soup!
Hope
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 30th, 2017, 6:16 am

I saw something about PG recently and thought what a great idea....

I do have a plan to try making them with the thin parts of snips rather than throwing them on the compost heap.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 30th, 2017, 12:33 pm

I think it is a great idea, so try it out and let us know :tu:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 30th, 2017, 8:53 pm

I was going to make potato gnocchi soon but now you mention parsnip I am thinking why not swap the root veg in this delicious thing.

I look forward to your report back. If I try it I will report back too. :tu:

By the way Hope, how do you plan on serving these? Just fishing for ideas really. :grin:
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Hope » October 1st, 2017, 7:22 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:By the way Hope, how do you plan on serving these? Just fishing for ideas really.

um, well, normally we have gnocchi with either a tomato-based sauce with veg, or chargrilled veg, or a load of soft-ish green veg all sweated together, with a tonne of herbs added. Something like that. My food is a bit weird (alhtough mostly tasty!) due to my various and many restrictions!
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » October 1st, 2017, 3:53 pm

Well it looks like I might have to make normal potato gnocchi first. I've been ordering loose potatoes, because the big bags take too long for us to get through. But I swear they pick the biggest ones possible! The medium-sized one was big enough to make roast potatoes for hubby, #2 son and me (#1 son doesn't like them!) But the biggest one, which is about the size of #2 son's head (well, almost) is way too big for one meal.

Anyway, rambling, but can I freeze gnocchi? I know potatoes don't taste nice after freezing, but is gnocchi ok?
Hope
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 20th, 2017, 8:19 am

Today I am making G. So far I have blitzed thin 'snip stalks and some baked squash that was left over from the piece I brought home from Spain. The puree was wet so added some 'smash' (Lidl copy), some nutmeg, S&P and a small amount of grated gran padano. Then added potato starch, plain flour and some egg (beaten). It is now resting in the fridge and later I will roll out and cut up, then back in the fridge until required to cook.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 20th, 2017, 9:24 am

Hope wrote:can I freeze gnocchi? I know potatoes don't taste nice after freezing, but is gnocchi ok?
:?
Cooked mashed potato freezes very well, think croquettes, potato topped pies, potato waffles etc. All taste fine. Pasta also freezes well. My only doubt would be ricotta gnocchi, but riicatta freezes ok layered in lasagne
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2017, 9:44 am

This says freezing uncooked gnocchi is fine https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... chi-101335
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 9th, 2017, 5:24 pm

I know they are not parsnip but having a go at these tomorrow, really do need to use up the ricotta....... Instead of their tomato sauce I am going to do a bolognaise sauce. I have some smoked bacon that needs using too. :? https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rico ... ings_01916
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen