Can I 'de-grit' my chopped coriander?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Can I 'de-grit' my chopped coriander?

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 4th, 2017, 10:50 am

I love this stuff and am lucky that I can buy shed loads locally for pennies. My veggie Aunt is visiting me tomorrow, and out to impress I have made a batch of my veggie chilli. I usually add a good load of chopped coriander just before serving. So I bought four big bundles of fresh (I usually buy it in jars) and rinsed, chopped and bagged up for the freezer.
I added some to a bowl of veggie stew yesterday and am not sure that I rinsed properly before chopping. Something felt gritty.
If I thaw it and rinse it again is that going to work? I can't see why not.
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Can I 'de-grit' my chopped coriander?

Postby Herbidacious » October 4th, 2017, 12:34 pm

I think you will just have to try it. It's either that or chuck it? Actually I would try rinsing it whilst it's still frozen (which will probably defrost it anyway.) Grit is less like to stick to frozen than presumably slightly limp and wet leaves?

But if you are cooking specially for your auntie, maybe splash out on a bag of fresh and sort out the frozen for yourself at another point, to be on the safe side.

I confess I prefer the mainstream supermarket coriander to the Turkish supermarket stuff, as the latter is a bit course (not sure if this is the right word. Tough?) in texture. Oh but it's so hard to resist buying a big bunch, along with a bunch of thyme, parsley, tarragon, dill and whatever else they have. And the smell as you walk home with a bag of all this...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 4th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Yes, I think I'd probably get a fresh bunch too and paly around with the frozen stuff another time!

Herbidacious wrote:I confess I prefer the mainstream supermarket coriander to the Turkish supermarket stuff, as the latter is a bit course (not sure if this is the right word. Tough?) in texture. Oh but it's so hard to resist buying a big bunch, along with a bunch of thyme, parsley, tarragon, dill and whatever else they have. And the smell as you walk home with a bag of all this...

That's interesting, Herbicacious, I find exactly the opposite! I only use the supermarket stuff in extremis and hugely prefer the fresh either from the market or one of the Arab/M Eastern shops on North End Road (Fulham). I've noticed that some supermarkets are now selling it with the roots, which helps, but I have always found that while it looks great, it really doesn't live up to expectations on the taste front!
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 4th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Well, I had a go at rinsing some of it in a colander sat in warm water to cover, swirled it around a bit, drained it and added it to a portion without touching the rest and it was fine. No grit! Yippee! The chilli itself is rather yummy and I have jacket potatoes to serve with it and extra chilli sauce to taste as I checked with Aunt how hot does she like her chilli and she tells me she suffers with IBS so not that hot. Hopefully a success of a dish!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 4th, 2017, 4:09 pm

I usually buy it in a pot from Sainsbury's. I really should try harder to grow my own!

Well done Tezza. A result!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 4th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I've tried growing it a few times but have found it seems to bolt almost as soon as you look at it.

Like KC2, Herbie and Tezza I'm lucky in that there are many local Asian supermarkets that sell big bunches of it.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 4th, 2017, 5:24 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Well, I had a go at rinsing some of it in a colander sat in warm water to cover, swirled it around a bit, drained it and added it to a portion without touching the rest and it was fine. No grit! Yippee! The chilli itself is rather yummy and I have jacket potatoes to serve with it and extra chilli sauce to taste as I checked with Aunt how hot does she like her chilli and she tells me she suffers with IBS so not that hot. Hopefully a success of a dish!

Good news! I hope your Aunt enjoys it :D
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 4th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Seatallan wrote:I've tried growing it a few times but have found it seems to bolt almost as soon as you look at it.

Like KC2, Herbie and Tezza I'm lucky in that there are many local Asian supermarkets that sell big bunches of it.

Try the variety 'Calypso' ... it's been developed especially for the leaf, whereas the older varieties were grown for the seed.
https://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/coria ... d3167.html
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 4th, 2017, 6:20 pm

I would love to grow the stuff but being unsuccessful in the past has put me off, plus right now my only windowsill that could be appropriate is engulfed by my huge chilli plant. The chilli plant is doing really well so maybe I do have a green finger or two so may try again with the coriander.
I think the brand of chopped that I buy when I see it is Bart's.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Seatallan wrote:I've tried growing it a few times but have found it seems to bolt almost as soon as you look at it.

You need to buy a bolt resistant variety such as (confusingly) the one called Cilantro
Usually still bolts though just a bit more slowly

Haven't tried Calypso as Suffolk recommends
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 4th, 2017, 9:30 pm

I've tried various 'slow bolting' varieties, but they all bolt. Consequently you have to keep sowing. However, there are inevitably gaps in the supply. At least, that's my experience

One strategy for bridging the gap is to sow pipiche, which is a South American herb, but more shrubby, with a taste like a citrusy coriander.

Plan B for me is to try coriander as microgreens.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2017, 10:43 am

Thanks all- will give it another go next year. :D :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » October 5th, 2017, 1:06 pm

cutting it back as it starts to bolt helps for a while - when the stalk produced is still soft and useable.
try feeding it more nitrogen (rotted horse sh.. etc).
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen