I have three scrummy fresh ingredients...

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

I have three scrummy fresh ingredients...

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 22nd, 2017, 1:12 pm

...but not sure what to do with them. Racking my brain - help!

A butternut squash
Three red peppers
A massive cauliflower

I also have store cupboards including stock, Basmati rice, onions, sun dried tomato paste and pasta.

I am wondering if I should stuff the butternut with a mix of rice, peppers, tomato paste and onions and bake in foil. I really fancied making a warming soup earlier but wasn't sure how these ingredients would work together in a soup.

I can't eat raw peppers (heartburn) so they would have to cooked. Maybe grilled, skinned and blitzed with tomato paste as a pasta sauce?

I have probably just answered by own question but over to you for any better/other ideas!
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: I have three scrummy fresh ingredients...

Postby Suelle » October 22nd, 2017, 1:32 pm

I think the peppers and squash would make a good soup together, but whatever you make, I think the cauliflower will need separate treatment.

I love cauliflower in a curry, or 1/2 cm slices of florets added to whole spices heated in oil until they start popping (black mustard, cumin, nigella etc). Turn the cauliflower slices in the oil, then add a few tablespoons of water, slap on a lid, turn down the heat and cook until the cauli is tender, adding more water if necessary just to stop the cauli 'catching'. This dry dish makes a good side dish for a curry with a sauce.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » October 22nd, 2017, 1:59 pm

How about roasting the squash and the peppers and then using half as the base for a risotto and the other half for a hearty soup?

Mr R loves cauliflower cheese and if I make a big one I sometimes turn the remainder into soup by blitzing and adding some extra stock,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2017, 2:05 pm

Roasted Red Pepper and Butternut Squash soup ... something along these lines https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/322661 ... quash-soup

and

a Big Cauliflower Cheese

you can eat some and freeze some ... then you can choose whether to eat the frozen portion/s as a bake or thaw and turn it into a soup.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 22nd, 2017, 4:28 pm

I am loving all of these ideas! Thanks all! I think the squash and the peppers will definitely be going into that delicious looking soup as I have all the other ingredients, and the cauliflower will either go into a curry as described or turned into a risotto. Plenty of ideas to be getting on with. It won't be this evening as I have snacked on Ryvita with mango and ginger Cheddar (Sainsbury's deli, thoroughly recommend it), some Brie, a small avo that really needed eating and a blob of coleslaw. That's my calorie intake for today satisfied so tomorrow the veg get it. Yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 22nd, 2017, 10:17 pm

Butternut squash and bacon soup
Butternut and amaretti ravioli
Butternut and cauliflower crumble
charred and roasted peppers kept in olive oil
stuffed peppers
salmon with cauliflower rice or mash
cauliflower cheese with haddock
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 23rd, 2017, 11:06 am

Thanks for your suggestions Catherine.
I am about to make the butternut and pepper soup.
I have a question - what is the point of roasting the veg with garlic in their skins only to have to puree the cooked soup then sieve it to get rid of the garlic skin? I think I would be better off softening peeled garlic with onion instead of roasting in skin to save the faff.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » October 23rd, 2017, 11:19 am

Garlic becomes a lot more mellowerand sweeter roasted, than briefly fried. Cooking it as whole cloves makes a difference as well to cookingfinely minced garlic
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 23rd, 2017, 1:59 pm

Tezza - it is much less faff to roast it! You just cut the garlic head in half horizontally, drizzle it with a bit of oil and roast it with other veg or chicken or whatever you are having. At the end of roasting the garlic has turned into a delicious paste which you can squeeze out of the cloves in a few seconds - and as Prettykiwicrazy has said, the taste is also transformed. No chopping, no smelly fingers - easy peasy!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 23rd, 2017, 3:23 pm

Tezza, just roast some garlic cloves and eat a few when done. it will tell you all you need to know. You will never consider doing anything else when you realise why, they are like garlic toffee
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Catherine wrote:they are like garlic toffee

That's just what I was going to say ... love it :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 23rd, 2017, 5:00 pm

suffolk wrote:
Catherine wrote:they are like garlic toffee

That's just what I was going to say ... love it :chops:

Thanks. I shall roast them then. The garlic toffee description is difficult to reset. :tu:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 24th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Suelle wrote:I think the peppers and squash would make a good soup together, but whatever you make, I think the cauliflower will need separate treatment.

I love cauliflower in a curry, or 1/2 cm slices of florets added to whole spices heated in oil until they start popping (black mustard, cumin, nigella etc). Turn the cauliflower slices in the oil, then add a few tablespoons of water, slap on a lid, turn down the heat and cook until the cauli is tender, adding more water if necessary just to stop the cauli 'catching'. This dry dish makes a good side dish for a curry with a sauce.

Cauliflower curry is a great idea - I recall there are some gorgeous cauli recipes on Mamta's site.
It goes beautifully with coriander as well.
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 24th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Oh yes, I will look at Mamta's site for cauliflower ideas. I have a big bag of coriander in the freezer. Mamta hasn't let me down once. :tu:

My butternut, peppers and garlic toffees are roasting in the oven and I have my carrots, onion and chilli flakes on a very low heat on the hob. The whole thing should be ready to combine in about half an hour once the toffees have become cool enough to squish. I wish I could post smelly-vision on here.

I was in my local shop earlier and, even though I only went in for one item, still looked over their three tiny aisles and spotted coconut milk and wondered if it would work in this soup, but decided to stick to the recipe first to see how it goes. Judging by the smell I have every confidence in it as it is.

The chopping of the butternut without my Sabatier or Global was hard, so I got off the top skinny bit without having to delve into the seedy bulbous end. That will do tomorrow stuffing with a nutty dried fried rice filling. And my Mum gets some of this soup tomorrow! Everyone's a winner!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 24th, 2017, 2:55 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote: I wish I could post smelly-vision on here.

Yup :D :D I can feel my mouth watering :D :D
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 24th, 2017, 5:22 pm

I just had a portion with half a naan. Apart from a slight graininess, which I think was either because I didn't roast the veg long enough or didn't soften the carrot long enough, once I got my head round just swallowing it instead of trying to chew it, I was okay and really enjoyed it, especially the sweetness of the squash, the carrots and the lovely roasted garlic. A complete success!

Cauliflower gets it tomorrow. :tu:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen