Middle Eastern recipies

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Middle Eastern recipies

Postby PurpleLuv » October 23rd, 2017, 10:10 am

I'm loving trying Middle Eastern inspired foods,

I gave this ago last week but chopped the meat fine at the end of cooking & sauted it until chared & crisp in places http://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-sh ... e-eastern/

Love the taste & flavors, nice with pitta, salad & garlic sauce, thought I would share & see if you guys have any recipes for similar meats?
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Re: Middle Eastern recipies

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2017, 11:24 am

I love Middle Eastern and North African food (related but distinct)
Never tried making shawarma at home, the charring you get in a restaurants with the special grill is essential isn't it?
I make a lot of Middle Eastern food, and like serving meze style. If you can get actual flatbreads rather than pitta pockets, they are better the brand I get here are labelled Durum (Turkish) and Lavash (Armenian, Iranian) and Tortilla which is comprehensive but they should be thinner than the usual flour tortilla

I was looking on line for a good recipe for lamb kofte, which are something I've been meaning to make fora whike. Felicity Cloake goes into the variations very well but her final recipe is an abomination IMO, shouldn't contain mint or pine nuts, must contain cumin for me. At least she doesn't add egg (a complete no-no)
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/jul/03/how-to-make-perfect-kofte
I think good butcher's mince is fine
I chop parsley and onion (separately) in the processor, put them back in with mince, salt and baharat spices and pulse very briefly until it forms a mix you can shape into fingers or burgers
Bharat means Indian spice and is a mix of black peppercorns, [toasted] coriander, [toasted] cumin, allspice, sweet paprika, green cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg
You can make up your own mix (every cook and every stall has their own secret)

You can buy it ready made from Turkish shops but both Seasoned Pioneers and Steenbergs do good versions too
https://steenbergs.co.uk/product/643/baharat-organic-arabic-spice-blend-48g

Serve with yogurt cucumber mint (that's where the mint goes!)

My favourite Middle Eastern food online is Syrian Foodie in London - 101 Meze
http://syrianfoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/vermicelli-rice-table-essential.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 23rd, 2017, 1:37 pm

This was in today’s online Guardian. I’ll try to remember to post the other links as they appear through the week.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... leh-kibbeh
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2017, 1:47 pm

Similar recipes in yesterday's Observer. :drool:

What I wish they would give in these features is suggestions for constructing a meal around such dishes. It's one of the things I love Marcella Hazan's Italian recipe books for ... the suggested accompaniments and other courses which follow each recipe.

I don't eat out enough at Middle Eastern restaurants to get a real feel for natural combinations.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 23rd, 2017, 2:17 pm

I think just about any Middle Eastern dish can be served successfully in a Mezze but agree that sometimes it is a bit daunting to know what to choose from so many options.
I love Middle Eastern cuisine - if you look at menus from Lebanese (for example) restaurants you get a feel of what might be served with what. For instance, this fairly basic chain - which I like - has certain types of thing for mezze and then meats and sides which could be replicated at home without too much trouble. https://www.comptoirlibanais.com/menu/bath/main/

Did you come with us to a meet with FCQ at the Lebanese restaurant in Oxford? You certainly get the best spread if there is a decent number of people!

The shawarma recipe looks good. I think that people like Claudia Roden and Yotam Ottolenghi have done so much to bring this style of cuisine into British provincial homes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2017, 2:33 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Did you come with us to a meet with FCQ at the Lebanese restaurant in Oxford?

No ........... I wish :mrgreen:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 23rd, 2017, 2:36 pm

Claudia Roden's 'Arabesque' is fabulous, as is her original Middle Eastern cookbook.
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 23rd, 2017, 2:38 pm

suffolk wrote:Similar recipes in yesterday's Observer. :drool:

That’s how the Lifestyle pages on the Observer/Guardian work. They release features that have been in the printed editions throughout the week with the exception of Fridays when they pre publish a few in the hope you’ll buy the weekend newspapers.

If I ever have a paper, which is rare, it’s one I get free with my Waitrose shop.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 23rd, 2017, 4:43 pm

When my Brother in Law roasts lamb, the leftovers are usually ground down and refried with various spices. He then makes flatbreads and his own hummus and tops the flatbreads with the hummus and ground lamb and some soured cream. The kids love it more than the roast itself. He often serves it with a lentil salad and a spicy beetroot salad
Catherine
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 23rd, 2017, 6:11 pm

In case Kavey doesn't see this thread, this is very, very good https://www.kaveyeats.com/2011/04/persi ... icken.html . Tessa Kiros*
(I think but I'm not sure) also does a similiar recipe where you bake a whole chicken marinated in yoghurt and spices in a rice crust. I can't find a recipe on-line but it's baked in a deep casserole lidded casserole and served from the dish. The crispy rice on the bottom/sides is :chops:

* ETA - I think it might actually have been from this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Persiana-Recip ... siana+book not Tessa Kiros. I had it made for me :oops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Amber » October 23rd, 2017, 10:40 pm

Catherine wrote:When my Brother in Law roasts lamb, the leftovers are usually ground down and refried with various spices. He then makes flatbreads and his own hummus and tops the flatbreads with the hummus and ground lamb and some soured cream. The kids love it more than the roast itself. He often serves it with a lentil salad and a spicy beetroot salad

We love this (very similar), it’s so easy to prep in advance. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/r80965/Donna- ... ahini-Tart
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 24th, 2017, 12:01 am

Mybproblem with that would be
520g store bought hummus

If you have a processor or suitable blender I'd really recommend home made on grounds of cost and quality
http://syrianfoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/one-hundred-and-one-mezze-7-hummus.html

Edited to fix link
Last edited by StokeySue on October 24th, 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 24th, 2017, 7:03 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 25th, 2017, 7:05 am

Part 3.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... o-pastilla

Am I the only Wildie who dislikes hummus? :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 25th, 2017, 8:33 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Am I the only Wildie who dislikes hummus?

Most people seem to get on with it, very popular in Stokey!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » October 25th, 2017, 8:56 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Part 3.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... o-pastilla

Am I the only Wildie who dislikes hummus? :oops:

Nope, not don't like it either or anything chickpea related :sprout:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2017, 10:31 am

I love home made hummus and some bought ones, usually the more 'interesting' ones ... I find that the flavour of most bog-standard supermarket hummus loses its attraction after the first few mouthfuls.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 25th, 2017, 10:49 am

Surely, the container is empty after the first few mouthfuls! :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 25th, 2017, 11:54 am

Most bought hummus is too acidic (probably to stop it going off) and contains very little tahini, as that's the expensive bit, or that's my take
Having eaten homemade hummus that resembles grits in oil and lemon though, at least they get the texture right!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Badger's mate wrote:Surely, the container is empty after the first few mouthfuls! :D

Speaking for yourself BM? ;) ;) ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 25th, 2017, 3:15 pm

I'm in no position to comment upon other people, but in this house 'a mouthful' is considered a reasonably large volume..

We quite like the caramelised hummus available in most supermarkets; some find it too sweet. I make my own hummus, but a tin of chickpeas with a commensurate amount of tahini produces rather a lot of mouthfuls, so I generally save it for when we have got visitors.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 25th, 2017, 3:22 pm

OH will eat however much I make :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 25th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Badger's mate wrote:I make my own hummus, but a tin of chickpeas with a commensurate amount of tahini produces rather a lot of mouthfuls, so I generally save it for when we have got visitors.

use half the tin - chickpeas freeze well. my partner cooks loads of dried ones when the sun is shining and then most of them go in the freezer until needed.
humous freezes well, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 25th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Fair point, but freezer space is often an issue, depending upon the latest glut
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 25th, 2017, 4:00 pm

I buy the petite cans (200 /130 g ) of d'aucy or Bonduelle chick peas specially to make a single bowl of hummus, they are good quality
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 26th, 2017, 7:44 am

I'll have to look out for those. I have always tended to cook pulses from dry; it seems a faff to do that in tiny amounts and tinned is a convenience I've come to lately. Obviously half a tin of chickpeas doesn't take up much space, but at the moment I'm having to think about what I can take out of the freezer in order to get anything in it. It's a remarkable item, inherited over 27 years ago, still running. It's bound to pack up one day :( , am planning its successor. Not sure I'd keep ready-made hummus in a freezer as it's not reheated after defrosting, but only because of Mrs B's immunosuppression.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 26th, 2017, 7:48 am

The final part. I’ll be having a go at the ice cream

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ls-falafel
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Amber » October 26th, 2017, 8:55 pm

I love hoummous, shop bought or otherwise. I have tinned chick peas, tahini, garlic (also chilli, and ginger).....does anyone have a recommended (small) recipe?
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 27th, 2017, 6:22 am

I use the recipe mentioned above, the quantities given are easily scaled down to any number or size of can, just remember to scale down the garlic too I've forgotten once or twice

http://syrianfoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/one-hundred-and-one-mezze-7-hummus.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 27th, 2017, 7:47 am

i don't use a recipe any more, the original i used came from the little brown bean book before tinned chickpeas were available but the one sue posted looks pretty generic so i'd go with that. i usually use olive oil rather than vegetable oil to mix and remember, if it's too thick after you've whizzed it you can add more water rather than more oil. when you've finished making it do a taste test and and adjust the lemon juice/salt etc to make it how you prefer it (as usual).
i sprinkle a touch of smoked paprika over it, sometimes, i rather like the contrasting flavour. (i would also put more lemon juice in than that recipe says).
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » October 29th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Thank you :)
Amber
Registered

Return to The Kitchen