Food Mill

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Food Mill

Postby Zosherooney » October 26th, 2017, 6:07 pm

A few times recently I could have done with one of these, after spending far too long using a sieve and the back of a spoon. I have read this but would welcome any of your own ideas or advice.

http://www.finecooking.com/article/choo ... -food-mill

TIA
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Food Mill

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Ma used one to prepare our food when we were being weaned and then it got used for soups etc ... of course it was pre food processors/liquidisers etc.

I don't have one but if I needed one I'd look at Lakeland's which looks good to me.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/18386/Stainle ... 26182253:s
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 26th, 2017, 6:30 pm

I was given one when my elder son was being weaned and I didn't get on with at all, not sure why.... I wouldn't be without my ricer though :D and it is good for removing tomato skins if you don't mind the seeds. Otherwise I find using a plastic dough scraper greatly helps with rubbing things through a sieve.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 26th, 2017, 6:33 pm

I've got one, well two actually. I use when smooth tomato sauces at called for, mainly. (Admittedly not very often.) I have a plastic Moulinex one that I bought in France. Can't remember what the other one I have is. Possibly the same. I don;t think it's necessary to spend a great deal of money on them. Both are fine at any rate. Slightly hard work. It's not a job I enjoy doing. But much much better than trying to push things through a sieve!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 26th, 2017, 6:33 pm

liketocook wrote:I was given one when my elder son was being weaned and I didn't get on with at all, not sure why.... I wouldn't be without my ricer though :D and it is good for removing tomato skins if you don't mind the seeds. Otherwise I find using a plastic dough scraper greatly helps with rubbing things through a sieve.

I think the reason I did't get one when my children were small was because a liquidiser seemed some much easier to wash up ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 26th, 2017, 6:50 pm

suffolk wrote:
liketocook wrote:I was given one when my elder son was being weaned and I didn't get on with at all, not sure why.... I wouldn't be without my ricer though :D and it is good for removing tomato skins if you don't mind the seeds. Otherwise I find using a plastic dough scraper greatly helps with rubbing things through a sieve.

I think the reason I did't get one when my children were small was because a liquidiser seemed some much easier to wash up ;)

:tu: it was indeed ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » October 26th, 2017, 8:30 pm

i have one that i bought from lidl or aldi about a decade ago. i think i bought it thinking it would do something specific and because i'd used one when i was little (my mother had one) but it has hung on the rack for most of that time unused - it didn't seem to push the foodstuff through the holes - maybe the 'blade' needs bending to a shallower angle. i tend to use a stick whizzer when i want anything purée-ed.
maybe i'll bung it through the dishwasher and see if it makes hummous any better than the stick.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 26th, 2017, 8:41 pm

The Lakeland one seems quite similar to mine, which I think is Kitchencraft, it works well
There is a real knack to getting the best out of them, case of three steps (turns) forward to push the puree through and one step back to lift & ensure a mat of the residue doesn't build up on the mesh and prevent sieving from happening. I like it for things where I want a bit of texture to remain (e.g. mashing black eye beans through the coarse mesh for veggie shepherd's pie, or when I don't want the flavour of blitzed seeds and cores which can be bitter
Will next be used for membrillo (quince cheese)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » October 26th, 2017, 8:51 pm

I have dodgy wrists and find them quite hard to use.
Amber
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 26th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I think I would use it for raspberry puree without pips and liquidising would not help in this case, I am also thinking of apple butter and the pectin is in the core and pips so would not want to liquidise them either. The article does mention about the angle of the blade too.

Thanks for your input Wildies.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 27th, 2017, 7:47 am

Zosherooney wrote:I think I would use it for raspberry puree without pips and liquidising would not help in this case, I am also thinking of apple butter and the pectin is in the core and pips so would not want to liquidise them either. The article does mention about the angle of the blade too.

Thanks for your input Wildies.

When I make passatta - I liquidise it then rub it through a sieve to catch the seeds and skin/core bits. Works a treat and I would have thought would work for raspberries too.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 27th, 2017, 10:04 am

Yes indeed. It's not the same outcome as pureeing.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 27th, 2017, 1:39 pm

I have never used one or thought of buying one but this sounds like a useful bit of kitchen kit. I'll probably check out the prices in the Jan sales. So, sorry, no recommendations but I hope you find what you are looking for.
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 27th, 2017, 7:15 pm

It's like the old trusty Mouli Legume isn't it? That came with three different bottoms. We used one at home when I was a child and I used mine regularly until I got a food processor but haven't felt the need since. They are very good if you haven't got a liquidiser or food processor and as Sue says, are quite good when you want to keep a bit of texture.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen