Recipe Box food for a week

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Recipe Box food for a week

Postby Pepper Pig » November 2nd, 2017, 3:08 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -top-boxes

I love Rhik's humour. :luv: I don't think I'll be trying any of these any day soon. I cannot believe the price. :o (Although the lady on Eat Well for Less last night went to the shop at the local garage 3 times a day to feed her and her daughter so I guess there are plenty of folk with money to burn). :scared: :scared: :scared:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Recipe Box food for a week

Postby Suelle » November 2nd, 2017, 3:50 pm

They seem expensive, but on the plus side, there's no waste, or build-up of things like spices or other minor but vital ingredients that you're never going to use again.

I always get stuck on using up dill!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2017, 4:01 pm

Lob it over this way Suelle ... we can make gravadlax :drool:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 2nd, 2017, 4:47 pm

My friend, who is a great cook, uses Gusto. She gets a three night box for two every couple of weeks. She says that she was in a bit of a rut cooking wise and lacking inspiration, she finds that having the box has got them out of the rut they were in. Plus she reckons that they are cheaper and healthier than hitting the takeaway. She wouldn’t do them all the time but says they are good when time for shopping, rather than cooking is tight.........especially as she lives a 30 miles round trip to nearest supermarket.

BB

Edited to add.......talk about sign of the times.......we have three takeaways locally but no supermarket unless we go to a York.
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 2nd, 2017, 5:01 pm

I had to fend of a very friendly Gusto guy at the weekend.

I once did Hello Fresh. They are constantly nagging me, even though I have asked to be taken off their 'list'.

It's not for me for a number of reasons.

Love the article :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2017, 5:07 pm

Well, I've wondered about them
Now I know
The only one that appeals at all is Cook Simple, which might be handy when self catering (wonder how long you can keep the kits?)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 2nd, 2017, 8:14 pm

Lucky you Herbi !!

Thanks for posting the article . I can see how these boxes might help people , for them to either get a bit of cooking mojo back or for time poor people who still want to get home and feel like they’ve cooked dinner
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 2nd, 2017, 8:24 pm

My son & g/f tried the Gousto boxes last year as they used an offer to get the 3 meals for 2 for a £10. They are both really good cooks (he used to be a chef) but picked things they wouldn't normally make to see if they liked the recipes. They were also both up to their necks in finals and decided it was much cheaper and healthier than takeaways or nipping to the local mini-store for ready meals. They really liked them for inspiration and the fact if they weren't keen on an ingredient they didn't have a whole jar etc. to use up. LIke most of these things they probably are a good option for some folk, some of the time. ( I did think when I was watching it that the family on last night's "Eat Well for Less" could actually have saved money using them as an interim until they got a "cooking" routine established)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Bubbles » November 3rd, 2017, 10:38 am

Pepper Pig wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/01/cooking-for-dummies-rhik-sammader-tests-recipe-uks-top-boxes

I love Rhik's humour. :luv: I don't think I'll be trying any of these any day soon. I cannot believe the price. :o (Although the lady on Eat Well for Less last night went to the shop at the local garage 3 times a day to feed her and her daughter so I guess there are plenty of folk with money to burn). :scared: :scared: :scared:

I can't see myself ordering any of these kits but thanks for posting this, I really did laugh out loud reading about his experiences using the contents. So funny!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 3rd, 2017, 11:01 am

One of the problems I had with hello Fresh vegetarian options from a food point of view was that they all seemed to involved rice and/or lentils and all tended to be spicy. it reminded me a bit of the late 80s/early 90s when vegetarian offerings (in the sort of places I could afford to eat in) seemed to think that adding a load of spice to an otherwise pretty boring thing made it ok plus bulk it out with rice. Plus I don't do rice (often).
This may be a little unfair and partly attributable to the fact that I only had a box once a month and thus possibly coincidentally ended up having the same sort of thing all the time.

From his review, Hello Fresh sounded really gourmet. Maybe the non-vegetarian offerings are more so.

I stopped doing it because:
1) it turns out I don't like being told what to make (so to speak). I thought this might be a good thing, and would get me out of a cooking rut , making me cook things I wouldn't normally cook. But I discovered that, perhaps not surprisingly after all these years, I have a well-honed, fine-tuned pretty accurate idea of what sorts of things I am going to like, or not. It would be cheaper just to grab a book from my shelves, especially given 2).;
2) I generally had most of the store cupboard ingredients it came with anyway, albeit not necessarily as fresh, of course. I did marvel (somewhat guiltily) at the discrepancy in colour between the contents of the doll-sized pot of paprika they gave me and what was in my cupboard;
3) too much packaging;
4) and there was only me to cook for most of the time.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 3rd, 2017, 1:23 pm

Can't see myself using anything like these and I too was horrified at the lady on Eat Well for Less. So if she had that amount of money to spend it might have been a way infor her. I shan't repeat what Mr R said when he glanced at it :evil:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 3rd, 2017, 4:13 pm

Great article - very funny :lol:
Personally I wouldn't even try them - I have a supermarket on my doorstep and a cupboard full of herbs, spices, noodles, pasta, etc.
I think they are horribly expensive - but if you can afford them and are time poor then why not. Horses for courses.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » November 4th, 2017, 1:24 am

i think horses for courses is right. my partner said that if i wasn't here he would probably be tempted to use them as it would be like someone holding his hand - maybe that's the wrong phrase - telling him exactly what to do and when, while he tried to cook.
personally i think he'd live on muesli (with soya milk), baked beans on toast, peanut butter and fruit.
i wouldn't be tempted by them as quite often i find that recipes under flavour things for my/our liking and i would be irritated if there wasn't enough garlic/spices/herbs supplied in the box - and i like choosing my own veg.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 4th, 2017, 8:55 am

Well that's a potentially restricted diet for you partner, scullion, but it sounds quite healthy. I shudder to think what my husband eats these days. He has't cooked in Germany since he got there in August. Not a thing! He does get a canteen meal at work. He probably eats bread, cheese, smoked salmon, crisps and fruit. He has no oven or microwave but even so.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2017, 10:17 am

Before I acquired OH he seemed to live on baguettes with brie and grapes, and the occasional leftover tomato concoction from the
Pizza/Pancake restaurant where he washed up after college. If he was on his own and not working in a farm shop a Box scheme would suit him down to the ground as he doesn't really think about food ahead of time but likes cooking as long as he's got clear instructions.

However, I love shopping for food, choosing my own meat/fish/veg etc and planning meals according to what looks good when I visit the shops and markets ... yesterday was a case in point ... I walked past a little greengrocer's shop in Cromer and they had lovely freshly cut sprout tops on the table outside ... how could I resist? They'll be wonderful with roast pork on Sunday ... and the fishmonger had the freshest of local line-caught herring ... I'll souse a couple of those today for a lunch in a few days time. I'd really miss that sort of shopping delight if we had a box delivered.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 4th, 2017, 11:49 am

That's similar to us. My partner eats when he's hungry and wouldn't bother to plan a 'proper' meal but just grab something quick so he could get on with doing what he was doing. If I sent him to do the week's shopping he would get a tin of beans and enough fruit for one day.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen