Your bread pudding recipe?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Your bread pudding recipe?

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 15th, 2017, 7:18 am

I was brought up on the stuff. Dark and golden on the outside, soft and cinnamony on the inside, encrusted with lots of sugar. I want to make some as I have yet to find anywhere round here selling it.
I have been sent my Dad's wife's recipe and will make a start with that, but wondered if we could get our favourite bread pudding recipes out there. Do you have a recipe passed down from previous generations? Do you have any variations on the basic recipe?
Sadly, all I can remember from my Nan's recipe is, she used to soak the bread in her (clean) washing up bowl.
I will share my new found recipe on here once I have made it. :chef: :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Your bread pudding recipe?

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 15th, 2017, 9:29 am

Our baker in the village makes bread pudding and it is apparently delicious. I have made it once but can't remember where I got the recipe :? I eat very little bread these days, so don't have any leftovers :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

I've never made it ... it wasn't part of my childhood ... stale bread was either dried off in the Rayburn oven and turned into breadcrumbs, made into bread and butter pudding or fed to the pigs.

I did taste bread pudding once but ....... :|
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 15th, 2017, 11:23 am

I have never made it either. Bread and butter pudding is another matter though :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 15th, 2017, 11:26 am

p.s. if anyone has a good recipe for chocolate bread and butter pudding... Carluccio's has a very delicious one on it's menu.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 15th, 2017, 12:48 pm

I only came across bread pudding when I was grown up. I think that perhaps you need to have enjoyed it as a child to fully appreciate it.

It always seems like a waste of expensive ingredients with which to disguise stale bread to me. We always managed to use our bread for toast or breadcrumbs or something before it went unpleasantly stale. I'm not that gone on bread and butter pudding either, set custard is best in a quiche or in custard tarts smothered in nutmeg ;) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 15th, 2017, 12:54 pm

This is basically the recipe I used when I used to make it for the kids https://www.netmums.com/recipes/bread-pudding , though I only used raisins. It's right cheap & cheerful recipe but it tastes great :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 15th, 2017, 1:12 pm

My grandmother made this regularly. I hated it. Tezza if you can find a bakers near you they will likely have it, though admittedly like most things the traditional bakers are falling in numbers.
Catherine
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » November 15th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Tasted it once and never again :sprout: . Much the same as bread sauce :sprout:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » November 15th, 2017, 5:22 pm

We used to have it when I was a kid, made pretty much how liketocook did it (I remember the bread soaking in water). I now use Delia's recipe, which IMHO is not really a vehicle for using up stale bread cheeply which is what my mum made, but it is nice.

Funnily enough I mentioned making one to my hubby last weekend, we haven't had one for many moons, must do it soon.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 15th, 2017, 5:31 pm

When its made well its wonderful IMO. We had a local baker who made a blinder but sadly said baker is defunct. Hope it turns out nice Tezza :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 15th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Thanks for your posts. :tu:

I think I will try the netmums recipe posted by ltc I just need the dried fruit which I meant to get today while I was out. :oops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 15th, 2017, 7:21 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Thanks for your posts. :tu:

I think I will try the netmums recipe posted by ltc I just need the dried fruit which I meant to get today while I was out. :oops:

:tu:
liketocook
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » November 16th, 2017, 2:43 pm

My lot all love bread pudding and I have bought reduced bread to make it.

I don't use raisins though - just soaked sultanas. I buy the value ones - also for the birds - then soak them in hot water and use the soaking water to soak the bread.

Lots of mixed spice too. And I melt butter in the dish I am going to cook it in then swirl around to coat the dish.
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 17th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Wot she said :D

I think we had a thread on this a little while ago. I struggle to comprehend how people can't like the stuff.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » November 17th, 2017, 6:28 pm

i like it but never have leftover bread. i've only made it once - years ago - with 'reduced' bread but it seemed sort of wrong to buy bread just to make bread pudding (yeah, stupid, i know - but we'd just eat more if i made it anyway).
i don't think my partner is overly fussed by it - if he was he'd ask. if i really liked it i suppose i'd make it so it's obviously not at the top of my calorie treat list either.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 17th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Herbidacious wrote:p.s. if anyone has a good recipe for chocolate bread and butter pudding... Carluccio's has a very delicious one on it's menu.

There was a very good one from Delia in the Radio Times when she had a weekly spot several years ago - I tore it out and may be able to find it ... or it's possibly on her webpage.
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 18th, 2017, 10:30 am

It was my grandmother's but I have metricated it!

300ml milk
50gr lard
100g bread, without crusts
50gr sugar
50gr each currants, sultanas and rasins
50gr soft brown sugar
1egg
1/2 tsp mixed spice
Pinch salt

Grease a pie dishring milk to boil then off the heat melt the lard in the milk.
Crumble the bread into the dish and add the fruit and sugar mixed with the spice. Beat the egg with the salt and add to the milk. Pour over the bread and mix well.
Bake iat 200c/gas 6 for 30 minutes. Serve with pouring cream.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 18th, 2017, 5:27 pm

My fears of making a bread pudding that comes up to my Nan's standards have been dispelled! So thanks for these posts. My Nan Mary would enjoy this conversation if she were here! :luv:
I am thawing out bread and dying to tuck in as soon as. :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 18th, 2017, 6:53 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 19th, 2017, 6:44 am

I have been away from here for a bit, nice to see all old names are still here. Namaste to all of you :D
This is one of the first desserts/puddings I started making when I first came to England and had my first kitchen, around 1971. My mum used to make a nice one in India, probably a British Raj recipe. My father had made her an oven of sorts for her, an enclosed space between two coal fire stoves, which had a door. It got very hot and had no temperature control. She made some lovely puddings and biscuits in it, recipes courtesy Woman And Home, which she had a subscription to.
I often add ground green cardamoms/mixed fruit/saffron to it, my mum added cardamom sometimes.
Mamta
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 19th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Mamta wrote:I have been away from here for a bit, nice to see all old names are still here. Namaste to all of you :D
This is one of the first desserts/puddings I started making when I first came to England and had my first kitchen, around 1971. My mum used to make a nice one in India, probably a British Raj recipe. My father had made her an oven of sorts for her, an enclosed space between two coal fire stoves, which had a door. It got very hot and had no temperature control. She made some lovely puddings and biscuits in it, recipes courtesy Woman And Home, which she had a subscription to.
I often add ground green cardamoms/mixed fruit/saffron to it, my mum added cardamom sometimes.

I can see those spices would work well, I love Jamaican bread pudding but oh my word it's heavy on the calories :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 19th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Nice to see you Mamta, lovely tales of your folk and recipes. My Mum used to make a bread pudding. Served with a cup of tea around 4ish.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 20th, 2017, 7:16 am

:D Nice to see you all too :)
Mamta
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 20th, 2017, 9:01 am

I have made the occasional one with cardamom in it. These days I stick to 'mixed spice' but have got a panettone recipe that uses ground cardamom
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 23rd, 2017, 3:55 pm

Yup, definitely! Thx PP!
KC2
Registered

Return to The Kitchen