Chilli

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Chilli

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 16th, 2017, 12:19 pm

I have had a niggling want at the back of my mind for a few weeks now to make a chilli . I’ve made some ok ones in the past , but never a really amazing one . Do people use minced beef or brisket etc? The best one and last one I made was using stewing steak and possibly chorizo too ? I’d love to know everyone’s tips and also what they serve their chilli with. I’m not that keen on rice with it so tend to make spiced homemade wedges to have alongside with guacamole and a roughly chopped salsa
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Re: Chilli

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 16th, 2017, 12:48 pm

I have always used the recipe on the side of the little red tin of chilli powder (can't remember the make now :( ), however, I haven't made one for ages now. Iirc, it had cumin in it too that always made it taste just that little bit different. I always have brown rice with it .. I just like it's nutty flavour ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 16th, 2017, 1:02 pm

I've made it with both mince and beef pieces and while both are nice I prefer it with mince. I never add kidney beans as I'm not keen on them :sprout: , so tend to add baked beans, pinto or black beans. My tips are to add cumin, 1/2 tsp cocoa powder and a tsp of lime juice.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 16th, 2017, 2:03 pm

I prefer small cubes of meat to mince, though mince is good, I once made it with diced ox heart cooke dvery slowly, was great

American recipes tell you to use chilli powder, which isn't ground chilli or cayenne, it typically contains paprika, oregano, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder as well as cayenne / ground chilli, sometimes ground coriander seed too

Don't see the point of the onion and garlic powder if you are starting with fresh onion and garlic, but I do use all the rest, needs quite a lot of oregano and cumin IMO

I use pinto beans (or rose coco / crab eye), softer & sweeter than red kidney beans

Not too much tomato, cook low and slow

Typical chilli powder recipe

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/237172/chili-powder/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 16th, 2017, 3:58 pm

I use veggie mince instead of beef, but my flavourings would suit either I am sure. A base of finely diced onion, carrot, celery, fresh chilli, ground cumin and smoked paprika. After that mix is sweating away, dried chilli flakes, chilli powder, then the beans of choice (red kidney of course, also borlotti, butter, chick pea) and a tin of plum tomatoes, then it all has to be simmered down with broccoli and loads of fresh coriander and the mince.
I like my chilli with crusty bread. Tonight I had a spud that needed using up so I had it on a jacket with butter and a side of steamed leeks and greens. Sublime! :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 16th, 2017, 5:08 pm

My base is much the same as Tezza's, with the addition of chopped green pepper ... which as the recipe was given me by a friend who grew up in Argentina I think must be fairly authentic. She also insisted that the cumin is essential.
I use either minced beef or chuck steak which I cut up small myself and it's all simmered for 2-3 hours. I never use minced steak as I find the meat cooks too 'dry' and fibrous ... the fat content of ordinary mince helps keep it soft and unctuous.
I usually use kidney beans, but sometimes haricot beans or a mix of both.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 16th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I too include peppers in my base but usually red rather than green. Cumin definitely and I usually add a pinch of allspice too. Like Suffs, I often use a mixture of beans (though usually borlotti rather than haricot).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 16th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Sometimes add a bit of dark chocolate too.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 16th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Yeah I’m not a fan of kidney beans so might experiment with different beans . Not tried cumin before , so will give it a go. I use peppers too, usually green and sometimes add a tin of sweet corn, instead of beans
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 16th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Seatallan wrote:I too include peppers in my base but usually red rather than green. Cumin definitely and I usually add a pinch of allspice too. Like Suffs, I often use a mixture of beans (though usually borlotti rather than haricot).

I have used borlotti (because I had some) but I prefer the haricot as I find they remain firmer throughout the cooking process, which in this kitchen can go on for several hours :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby smitch » November 16th, 2017, 8:31 pm

I like black beans or black eyed beans in mine. Not keen on kidney beans. I use a red and green pepper and finely diced carrot but no celery as I don't like it. I put in a mixture of chipotle, habanero and ancho chilli powders. I also use cumin and a bit of coriander. As we like a smoky chilli I often add some chipotle past too. I add a bit of cocoa powder and sometimes fennel seeds. It is normally served with jacket potato, although my OH prefers rice.
smitch
Registered

Postby Amber » November 16th, 2017, 9:02 pm

I use the usual mince, onion, kidney bean type chilli, with added cumin, but this recipe is delicious for a ‘special’ meal.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bee ... con-jamie/
Amber
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 16th, 2017, 10:41 pm

I'm a rose coco girl and like a bean in my chilli..... but 3 types of cumin... whole seed, ground and roasted ground. Tomato is a must along with real onion and real garlic. no powders here... why ??? Oh, and oregano or marjoram and white basic rice with the Mexican flag of guac. sour cream and a tomato salsa.

Why am I feeling hungry again ?????
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 17th, 2017, 3:54 am

I think I forgot to mention lots of garlic in mine. I used to buy dried chipotle and rehydrate and add those. I must get some more, and will also include green peppers next time. I have also toyed with the idea of having chocolate in it but rarely have chocolate in the house. Maybe I should invest in some cocoa powder just for this purpose.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 17th, 2017, 8:49 am

Teresa has reminded me, I have put a good dollop of chipotles in adobo into the last couple of chiilis I've made, really helps
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 17th, 2017, 11:11 am

I’ve never tried the chipotle , that might be giving the depth of flavour and wanting to lick the plate clean feeling I usually look for . My spicing is usually garlic, onions, fresh chopped chilli, paprika and sometimes dried chillies too
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 17th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Where Clive when we need him?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 17th, 2017, 5:28 pm

I very typically use cubed pork to make chilli.

Smoked paprika, oregano, fresh coriander, tomato, garlic, onion and chilli. Black, red, borlotti or 'yin/yang' beans :chops:

Sometimes add a hint of cocoa.

Don't suppose it's made anywhere else like this, don't suppose I care. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 20th, 2017, 7:14 am

I often make chilli with Soya mince. It needs to be soaked and washed a couple of time in running water, to remove that 'dry Soya' smell, but is excellent once you have done that. It also needs slightly more spicing than the actual mince meat.
Mine is onion, garlic and ginger fried, then chopped tinned tomatoes, salt, chilli, smoked paprika if I have an, nutmeg, coriander powdery, freshly ground cumin-a generous amount. I add any small beans tin that I have at the time. With Soya, the amount of spicing has to be more than with mince. It is pretty tasty, even though there is no meat in it.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 20th, 2017, 9:04 am

Yes, cumin. I forgot that. I always put ground cumin in too.
Badger's mate
Registered

Return to The Kitchen