Do you make spaetzle - your recipes please

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Do you make spaetzle - your recipes please

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 26th, 2017, 5:27 am

I really fancy making these some time soon. I understand the basics and can probably push the dough through my colander or shape using a knife without needing a special tool. I have basics consisting of flour, egg, milk, butter, seasoning, but recipes seem to vary so much.
So, should I just stick to a very basic recipe first time round, or vary it up a bit? The Strawbridgees on The Hungry Sailors added grain mustard, another recipe I have found includes nutmeg.
Do you follow a favourite recipe? Any tips on flavourings and serving suggestions to make this dish a success would be appreciated. Ta muchly! :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Do you make spaetzle - your recipes please

Postby Herbidacious » November 26th, 2017, 9:03 am

I have brought the dried variety back from Germany... but confess not done much with them, and not made any from scratch.
There, I have had them in a creamy mushroom sauce with caraway, probably white wine, which is very nice. But that's pretty much just treating them like pasta.
The are nice if you lightly fry them (butter, garlic, herbs etc.) then a bit of grated cheese.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 26th, 2017, 11:42 am

Never made them
Had two lots (skinny ones and thicker ones) on a recent trip to Hungary, both times served just as the carb with a main dish with a lot of sauce
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 26th, 2017, 11:47 am

you might get a few ideas here.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 26th, 2017, 4:31 pm

I have made them, but a long time ago and, as I can get fresh ones in the supermarket, I really don't feel the need to re process. I serve them as a carb too probably with butter and a fresh herb according to with what they are being served.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 28th, 2017, 5:06 am

scullion wrote:you might get a few ideas here.

Thank you for that link. I shall peruse that now as, after my chilli and smoked paprika dumplings in vegetable soup binge last night, I really fancy spaetzle tonight. :chops: If nothing grabs my attention I will stick to a very basic, buttery spaetzle and probably serve with what I have available as no time to shop today - maybe steamed green veg, sauteed mushrooms and a couple of veg sausages. I shall report back.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 28th, 2017, 8:10 am

For another time, perhaps, but...
These don't really look like spaetzle to me but I don't think that matters - I think it looks nice

https://food52.com/recipes/7819-browned ... -mushrooms

(pity about the pop up...)

I imagine it would be nice served with a glass of chilled white wine.
Last edited by Herbidacious on November 28th, 2017, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 28th, 2017, 11:06 am

I find it interesting that although I was dismissive of spaetzle on thev old thread (too much like dumplings for my taste) I enjoyed them in Hungary
Similarly Rats, who doesn't like pasta, seems to quite like them
I think they vary quite a lot, but the ones I enjoyed were a little chewier than conventional dumplings, but lighter and less slippery than pasta, almost the missing link between them :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MariaKK » November 28th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Tezza.

This video might help for the slicing straight into the pot. She doesn't use a board, just slices from the edge of the bowl she used to make them. You need a hot knife - dip into the boiling water at regular intervals. And avoid a rolling boil - you want a gentle regular bubble.

Fast forward to 1´40" for the slicing bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWgdHCln2r0

I'd suggest you try Ian's recipe - easy enough to scale down

http://souvigne.com/recipes/side210.htm

And I agree - you definitely need lots of sauce - if you don't want to do meat, a creamy mushroom sauce would be good.
MariaKK
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 28th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Yum yum! Thanks for the links, especially Ian's because I tried to search for it earlier but frustratingly failed. The same as Mamta, his recipes never fail. :kneel: A crispy dumpling also appeals. My Nan would cook on the stove for a bit with the lid on then uncover and put in the oven. These were the fatter dumplings we are probably more used to in the UK rather than spaetzle, but the difference between flabby and crispy was something else, although I do love a firm but flabby one. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen