Winter breakfasts

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Winter breakfasts

Postby Zosherooney » November 29th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Do you change your brekkies in winter ??? If you eat breakfasts at all ??

Mr. Z seems to crave porridge on those cold winter mornings, now that he is at home for the winter we have egg, bacon and a slice of toast some mornings, I had a mouthful of his porridge this morning but don't always need brekkie..... mainly because of a late supper. Cereal and milk for me is a summer brekkie.

Is is a seasonal thing for you or not ??
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Winter breakfasts

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 30th, 2017, 1:54 am

I have been thinking about this and conclude that my breakfasts of choice will vary depending on what I fancy, not really based on seasons.

Favourites of choice are, in no particular order:

Porridge which is usually topped with sliced banana, usually those Oats So Simple type for quickness
Cornflakes or muesli with cold milk
Toast and Marmite, sometimes with beans or mushrooms or fried egg or tinned plum tomatoes or a combination, and if the toppings are included, brown or chop sauce, English mustard and ground white pepper
An absolute favourite - toasted granary bread, no butter, Marmite, sliced avocado and tomato. This one needs no condiments

I usually fancy Earl Grey with a slice of lemon, in a teapot if I have leaves in. Rarely black coffee. An aside of orange or grapefruit juice is always a bonus if I can but only a snifter because otherwise it sets my hernia off

I try to have these ingredients in at all times for whenever I fancy one of these, but a lot of the time I don't fancy breakfast so skip it....I know I shouldn't....and sometimes I have brunch and early dinner. Two meals seem to suit me a healthy snack or two whenever my belly rumbles, like it is now! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 30th, 2017, 7:01 am

The latest porridge trial was with a dollop of molasses which went down well but don't overdo it, it is quite a strong flavour. Others include, satsuma segments (fresh) and some broken up chocolate, baked apple - sultanas from the core of the apple and a dab of cinnamon. There is always some sort of yoghurt/creme fraiche element too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2017, 8:46 am

Oodles of coffee - always

I like yogurt or quark with vanilla and loads of fresh fruit - including a banana. In winter that does sometimes seem a bit chilly and I often have some porridge - made with water unless there is any milk in the house, always a pinch of salt added and a splodge of golden or agave syrup. If there are any in the house it is nice to add sultanas or raisins at the cooking stage. I like chopped up apple mixed in it. Porridge is also nice savoury with cheese stirred into it - I once tried it with butter stirred into it instead of other dairy items on Aero's recommendation and it was delicious (sweet or savoury).

I love fried egg on toast (or even better, fried bread), packet cereal and I adore toast and marmalade but those are great treats.

I prefer to eat a couple of hours after I get up.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 30th, 2017, 8:56 am

Year round my breakfast varies between nothing, a piece of toast with marmalade or marmite, poached egg on toast, granola with fruit and yogurt, the fruit and yogurt without the granola, a croissant or pain au raisin, and occasionally a more substantial cooked breakfast such as bacon sandwich, cheese on toast, egg and bacon etc. but that's more brunch. In winter I quite often have porridge but never in summer.

I like my porridge quite plain and simple, just a small amount of golden syrup. Really don't like fruit and stuff added (I think more texture than flavour) though if I have any cream a little is nice. In hotels I have been known to have porridge with a hint of brown sugar or syrup, some pouring cream and a bottle capful of Scotch. Happy St Andrew's day!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 30th, 2017, 9:26 am

It's always just a banana for me. Barely breakfast. I can't face food until several hours after I have woken up. I do love porridge though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » November 30th, 2017, 9:38 am

I can't eat when I first get up so have my breakfast at work most of the time. I generally have porridge (the sachet type) with soya milk, a teaspoon of peanut butter and some kind of fruit/seed/dried fruit combo depending on what I have. Sometimes I have toast or a crusty roll instead of porridge. Today, I have a lovely pastry from Pollen bakery and a coffee. Sadly the coffee is from Costa, but we're getting a fab independent coffee shop early next year so that will improve the hot drinks situation!

At the weekend, we tend to have brunch rather than breakfast. Varies really, could be waffles with maple syrup, a cooked (veggie) breakfast, tofu scramble, Indian spiced eggy bread, or croissants.

I don't really vary what I eat by the season although sometimes when it is warm in summer I have fruit and yogurt at work instead of porridge.
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 30th, 2017, 10:14 am

I like the cheese idea EM, also like the P nut butter idea. Just wondering about a chilli version ? I am a savoury person rather than a sweet one... ;) ;)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2017, 10:17 am

It's usually muesli with skimmed milk, an apple or pear or something similar and lots of :mug:
OH makes himself porridge (made with water) in the winter and sometimes I'll ask him to make some for me too ... we sometimes pour a little skimmed milk over to cool it down. We're quite abstemious with our porridge.
At weekends a dippy egg and toastie soldiers sometimes makes a change, and occasionally a 'full English' for brunch happens instead of breakfast.
I do like little American-style pancakes with bacon and maple syrup for breakfast but I've not had that for years ................. :idea:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 30th, 2017, 10:30 am

His and hers porridge here; mine is made with water and is quite thick (an ex-landlady used to describe it as wallpaper paste), Mrs B's has milk and milk powder added and is cooked down to a creamy consistency. Odd bits of cream or cooked fruit might be added to the latter.

Weekends we might have toast, crumpets or muffins, with either spreads (jam, honey, yeast extract, peanut butter, Gentleman's relish) or eggs, sometimes with salmon or bacon. Very occasionally a proper fry up, and even more rarely huevos rancheros or kedgeree but these are more likely brunch.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 30th, 2017, 1:27 pm

The breakfast eater has porridge at this time of year made with half and halfmilk and water and nearly always with maple syrup.
Poached egg on marmite toast
Croissant with marmalade or jam, brioche toast, crumpets or muffins'
Yogurt with berries in summer or dried fruit compote in winter

Neither of us has coffee with breakfast - we have it before. But we often have a glass of orange juice
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 1st, 2017, 5:24 pm

We always used to have toast and home-made marmalade but OH reckoned the sugar boost left him a bit hungry and needing another sugar boost mid-morning, so he started having banana on toast. I've been having that too for the last week or so and am really enjoying it.

If we know we're going to end up having a very late lunch, for whatever reason, we usually have scrambled eggs on toast, which is more sustaining, and maybe a bit of porridge.
Like earthmaiden I often add sultanas or raisins before I cook it.
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 2nd, 2017, 1:21 pm

The thought of eating last night's leftovers for breakfast just makes me :sprout: :sprout:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » December 2nd, 2017, 2:51 pm

I like leftovers for breakfast, especially curry or cold pizza :tu:
smitch
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 2nd, 2017, 2:52 pm

Ratatouille wrote:The thought of eating last night's leftovers for breakfast just makes me :sprout: :sprout:

:D :D
KC2
Registered

Postby Kacey » December 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm

Weekdays OH has porridge every day whatever the season, always with a dollop of golden syrup. I can't do breakfast first thing so will have mine at work, usually a small hunk of bread or a couple of crackerbreads, and if I don't have either - bag of Quavers! Weekends are totally different, its brunch not breakfast and favourites are kitchree with any left over curry and chilli fried rice from Asian Vegan Kitchen. Sometimes I'll deliberately cook extra just to have leftovers for breakfast.
Kacey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 2nd, 2017, 5:02 pm

I don't mind leftovers for breakfast, and in much of the world of course there isn't "breakfast food", just food. I've eaten mohingar (curried fish soup with rice), dosas, ful medames etc. when travelling, but remember when sliced cheese, hard boiled eggs and cold cuts seemed exotic when offered in Amsterdam ca. 1967

Fortunately the first Christmas I spent with my ex I cooked the gammon early on Christmas Eve as it turned out that in his family Christmas breakfast was always sliced gammon, bread and butter, orange juice and fruit; he didn't mention it in advance as he thought this was universal, luckily I had it all!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen