how much is 'a sensation'?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

how much is 'a sensation'?

Postby scullion » November 30th, 2017, 3:52 pm

i've just been flicking through 'a good wife's cookbook', from 1911. (selfridge and co ltd, oxford street)
in a recipe for 'omelette bengali' one of the ingredients is 'a sensation of garlic'. could this be a discreet rub round the bowl or a massive hit?
the only ingredient in the recipe that could hint at bengal is, possibly, a pinch of cayenne.
scullion
Registered

Re: how much is 'a sensation'?

Postby StokeySue » November 30th, 2017, 4:57 pm

I'd imagine it is about the same amount as a "suspicion of garlic" which I've seen in old writing

Not exactly omelette masala then!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2017, 8:39 pm

I would read it as a 'smidgen' but have absolutely no idea really - it depends what degree of sensation the writer preferred :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 30th, 2017, 9:40 pm

I don't know about sensation, but I once asked my Nan what she meant by 'knob'. She held her forefingers in front of her, with a cheeky smirk on her face, and said 'oh, about this big' :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 30th, 2017, 9:57 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I would read it as a 'smidgen' but have absolutely no idea really - it depends what degree of sensation the writer preferred :lol:

:lol: Cooking with my gran involved measurements such as a "touch", a "smidgen" and a "pinch" in ascending order of quantity never heard her use a "sensation" though :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 30th, 2017, 11:53 pm

That's about as specific as when a recipe method says 'cook until done'
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 1st, 2017, 12:01 am

A panel on the back of Iceland frozen avocado halves is headed Defrosting Instructions. These are to defrost completely then use. No clues as to method, time or temperature. I'd suggest 60 - 90 minutes at room temperature in a bowl of cold water to leach out some of the citric / ascorbic acid mix with which they have been treated
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 1st, 2017, 7:18 am

Wow, I didn't know you can freeze avocado! Agree, those defrosting instructions are vague if not useless. They may as well have put 'To defrost, use your common sense'
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » December 1st, 2017, 11:25 am

i had no idea these were available - maybe that's another reason why fresh ones are so expensive!
are they in any way useable as a solid when defrosted or do they resemble guacamole?
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 1st, 2017, 11:47 am

My mother, who had learned a few things in service, and was a very good cook, used to cook scouse until it "flopped".
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 1st, 2017, 11:47 am

I think it's the other way round scully, frozen ones are available because fresh avos have become an expensive staple

I haven't tried freezing my own but I will when this bag has gone

What you get is a bag of peeled halves of perfectly unblemished but apparently ripe small avocados from Peru. So ideal for one portion. They thaw ok and end up quite soft but not overly mushy, you can slice with care but the package recommends using in smoothies and dips or generally mashed. They taste of avocado.

The downside is that they have been treated, as you might expect, with a solution of citric acid and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to prevent discoloration. Possibly overdone. Reading the reviews online it seems that some people find the residue incredibly bitter, some find it unremarkable. I'm in between, very noticeable when eaten in slices :sprout: but just about OK when mixed in with the flesh using less lime / lemon juice than usual.

So experimenting with thawing in water to see if I can wash it away. Watch this space
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 1st, 2017, 2:06 pm

OK, reporting
Left a small frozen half of avo soaking in a bowl of cold tap water for a little over an hour and it thawed completely Drained and dried on kitchen towel. Cut off a small slice, tasted of avocado (duh!) with a definite "sensation" of lemon.

Mashed, seasoned, and spread on toast you would have not known it wasn't a good fresh avocado :tu:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 1st, 2017, 5:18 pm

StokeySue wrote:OK, reporting
Left a small frozen half of avo soaking in a bowl of cold tap water for a little over an hour and it thawed completely Drained and dried on kitchen towel. Cut off a small slice, tasted of avocado (duh!) with a definite "sensation" of lemon.

Mashed, seasoned, and spread on toast you would have not known it wasn't a good fresh avocado :tu:

Gosh, that's very helpful Sue, I will look out for them as I despair of ever buying avos that are either perfect and ready to eat or that can be ripened in a brown paper bag (even though we always pick ones that still have their little brown disc still on, which is what a friend told us was essential) - we've almost given up trying! But we're very partial to guac and it is expensive when you buy it ready made. And we love avo on toast ... :hungry: :hungry:
KC2
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 4th, 2017, 5:02 pm

I've just been idly browsing Elizabeth David's "French Country Cooking" and come upon the instruction "season with a discreet amount of black pepper".
Gruney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2017, 3:00 pm

A recent recipe described the cooking power needed was 'a whisper' ? So is that less or more than a simmer ????
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen