A packet batter mix...

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

A packet batter mix...

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 3rd, 2017, 2:30 pm

...has been lurking at the back of my cupboard for a couple of months and it is getting on my nerves that I can't think of what to do with it.

I am not keen on Yorkshire puddings, although do like toad in the hole and have a couple of veggie sausages, so that's one idea. I was thinking something sweet but not keen on pancakes. I have many jars of different flavours of homemade jam. Any sweet ideas there?

Any ideas sweet or savoury welcome.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: A packet batter mix...

Postby suffolk » December 3rd, 2017, 2:34 pm

Ma used to make a sweet Toad in the Hole using rhubarb ... the pieces of rhubarb would be put in the roasting tin with some butter and when the butter was hot the batter was poured in around the chunks of rhubarb and cooked ... it was delicious served with brown sugar and/or golden syrup.
I think it would be lovely with pieces of peach or apricot too ......... and banana :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 3rd, 2017, 3:21 pm

The rhubarb toad sounds luscious. Rhubarb is my favourite fruit. :chops: I was wondering about some sort of fruit fritters but have no way of deep frying. The roasting tray method sounds ideal as I have one of those.

So I think half the batter (all of it would be too much for one unless my Mum eats with me) will go for the savoury toad and the other a sweet baked pud but more ideas for either would be good.

I had to go out for electricity top up so bought a bag of sugar too in anticipation.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 3rd, 2017, 4:44 pm

On DDD just a minute ago, Guy was in a diner serving sweetcorn fritters - huge and thin - used as you would a tortilla to fill with marinated and griddled tofu, garlic mayo and avocado. I will keep that idea in reserve. They looked delicious with a huge salad on the side. I would have no problem finishing one of those!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 3rd, 2017, 4:46 pm

I'm not sure how good these mixes are but I would just experiment. How about bananas instead of sausages with chocolate spread
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 3rd, 2017, 5:53 pm

I haven't a clue what the mix will be like either having never used one before. Once I get some batter ideas under my belt i will definitely make my own from scratch.

When I had a deep fryer I loved experimenting with vegan tempura. Cauliflower and tofu tempura were favourites. EFCliz headed me in the direction of tempura avocado (delicious) and tempura dill pickles (not so delicious) but I am limited at the moment to shallow frying. Not many shops here sell bananas but plantain are in abundance. I am now getting a coconut vibe with the plantain. Maybe use coconut milk in the batter instead of moo juice.....ooh plantain and maybe pineapple in a coconut batter toad!? :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 3rd, 2017, 7:07 pm

What do you have to add to the mix? If it is eggs and milk then the mix must be just flour and salt :?

That said, I once sat next to a lady on a plane to the USA who had filled half a suitcase with YP mix ... and the rest with doggie chocs :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 3rd, 2017, 7:32 pm

Actually, this packet does contain dried milk powder already. I should have read the packet more thoroughly. My 'from scratch' batter will contain coconut milk as I cannot see how that could be anything but lovely. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise then that will be a future experiment to be reported back on. :chef:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 3rd, 2017, 8:01 pm

My husband, whose culinary skills are n ot extensive (ah hum. To put it mildly. He is capable of ruining baked beans.) used to make a very creditable toad in the hole with those batter mixes. It should be fine.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 3rd, 2017, 8:18 pm

Thanks Herb and Mr Herb. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 3rd, 2017, 11:47 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Actually, this packet does contain dried milk powder already.

That makes it more worthwhile then! I know that batter mixes are very popular and have always wondered what was in them. It will be interesting to see the results with coconut milk.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen