A hot and spicy foodie gift?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

A hot and spicy foodie gift?

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 3:54 am

I will be staying with my Dad's family soon and it will be my Uncle's birthday. As a birthday gift, and a thank you for putting me up for the weekend, I would like to pack a large Kilner with something spicy to take with me.

I can get Scotch bonnets here for pennies so that can be the base. Last time I visited I took a jar of home grown fiery hot chillies in sunflower oil so that's been done. I wondered about hot and spicy mustard pickled shallots or maybe something different using plantain, also in abundance here.

Anything goes really, so what ideas would come to mind if you were given this huge, blank canvas?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: A hot and spicy foodie gift?

Postby Catherine » December 7th, 2017, 4:34 am

Chilli vodka
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 7th, 2017, 7:38 am

Kool will be the person to ask about that subject....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » December 7th, 2017, 9:40 am

Not a large jar item, maybe, but how about some home made harissa or sambal olek or some of the latter stirred into crunchy peanut butter to make a cheat version of pechel sambal (or the latter made from scratch)?
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 7th, 2017, 11:38 am

Catherine wrote:Chilli vodka

Seconded. Or chilli jam. Nigella has a lovely Christmas chilli jam recipe (I made a batch for recent cat rescue sale).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 7th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I like Seatellen's idea! I was thinking of the recipe I have for onion relish which is always well received. It could be boosted with extra chilli.

Those Bread and Butter pickles I bought at Bath Christmas market recently were delicious. You could make something like that with added Scotch Bonnet.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 1:39 pm

I actually really fancy the chilli peanut butter idea! I will have a look for the chilli jam recipe too as I know he makes a lot of fruit jams and pickles, including bread and butter pickles so I won't be making those! Last time I visited he gave me a huge jar of those and I a still working my way through them. :chops: I don't think he likes vodka plus I can't really spare the cash for that.
I was debating last night whether to make a spicy sweetcorn relish. Any t&t recipes anyone?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 7th, 2017, 2:05 pm

If he already makes lots of chutneys and pickles I would think of something different maybe a chilli plant
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 3:14 pm

He already grows chilli plants! He gave me a beauty about six months ago. It was my Dad who suggested something hot and spicy as a gift and I used to make piccalilli using either a variety of mixed veg or just shallots so that was my first thought using some Scotch bonnets which I know he loves the heat of. I don't want to load myself up with all the stuff for that though as I am not only on an extremely tight budget, but very limited in storage space.
Hmmm...I'll search the chilli jam recipe now!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 7th, 2017, 3:27 pm

There is some good Chilli Chocolate around.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Ah, that's a good idea PP!

When I chat with my Dad later I will ask his opinion seeing as it was his idea! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 7th, 2017, 8:44 pm

What about chilli sugar?
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Wow, now that's an idea! I presume that would be similar to the way you would make vanilla sugar?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 8th, 2017, 1:13 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Wow, now that's an idea! I presume that would be similar to the way you would make vanilla sugar?

You got it
Catherine
Registered

Postby scullion » December 8th, 2017, 6:49 pm

have you made that, catherine? if so how did it work? my impression is that it wouldn't do very well with the fresh chillies that tezza can source cheaply as they are less aromatic than the dried vanilla and would just effect the sugar in contact with the juice of the chillies - causing hot little solidified lumps. i may be very wrong.
we were bought some chilli drinking chocolate from the south devon chilli farm yesterday and it occurred to me that if you could get milder chillies they might be rather interesting dipped in chocolate in the same way that you would with strawberries.
how about making some chilli truffles? https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/hot- ... -truffles/
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 8th, 2017, 9:27 pm

I love the look of those chilli truffles! I bought turmeric and peppers for the sweetcorn relish at the market today but no reason why I couldn't make both!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2017, 11:14 am

Does this sound good or what???????? :drool:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/blo ... -marmalade
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 9th, 2017, 3:55 pm

I am salivating at that marmalade! I would have a good go at some of that on some cheese. :drool: One to stick in my favourites I think.

The spicy sweetcorn relish is made, one large Kilner full for my Uncle plus a small amount spare for me to try. As per the recipe I followed I sauteed one each diced red and green pepper with salt and Scotch bonnet chillies, then off the heat added sweetcorn and diced onion. Popped that into the jar then in the pan made a syrupy brine of vinegar, sugar and turmeric and as a taster of the corn revealed that it was nowhere near hot enough, I added red chilli flakes. I also put in a tsp of English mustard. At this stage I wished I'd had some cornflour to get the right consistency. Ah well.

I would have made those chilli truffles but refuse to pay the prices round here for such ingredients. I can make those another day and will report back if I do.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 11th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Oooh, like the marmalade! Perfect for January when the blood oranges and Sevilles are about. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen